NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

My friend does computer science at abber in wales and loves it. Had to get pretty awesome marks for it there though.

I've got an offer from Aberywstwyth. I think I'm leaning more towards that. I don't think I'll get the grades for Belfast.

I didn't mean Glasgow, I meant when I was there the department felt a bit boring. That was probably due to being with all my friends on the Open day. Never really got a real chance to stop and actually see what it was like.

Sigh I know Glasgow easily has the most stuff to do but having lived near Glasgow all my life, Edinburgh and to a certain extent St Andrews just seems fresher and obviously a nice change.

Pretty much. But it's on the coast. And everyone I've spoken to says they love it there.

+1, considering its meant to be in the middle of nowhere they do more than I get round to do in sheffield! Seems pretty awesome, plus BEACCCCH.

Try not to let location put you off unless its a dump.

Not that Moogle is applying for it but my lecturer used to teach at Aber and says the Media/Film department is a right fucking joke. In fact when I suggested I may be interested in doing an MA there he said "no. no no no no no. NO! no no no. NO!"

In related news. Got offered a place doing an MA in Japanese Cultural Studies at Birkbeck (London) :D!

(granted its providing I get a 2:2 but im sure I could not submit my assignments this semester and still get a 2:2)

Not that Moogle is applying for it but my lecturer used to teach at Aber and says the Media/Film department is a right fucking joke. In fact when I suggested I may be interested in doing an MA there he said "no. no no no no no. NO! no no no. NO!"

In related news. Got offered a place doing an MA in Japanese Cultural Studies at Birkbeck (London) :D!

(granted its providing I get a 2:2 but im sure I could not submit my assignments this semester and still get a 2:2)

Congratulations! 2:2s are for losers, don't be a loser. :heh:

Congratulations! 2:2s are for losers, don't be a loser. :heh:

lol if 2:2s are for losers what a 3rds for?

But nah im well on track for a 2:1. The lowest grade I've recieved this year has been a C and that was for a presentation which is worth 30%. Going to wait until the results from 1st semester are posted on 2nd of March and then pester my personal tutor to tell me exactly what I need to do this semester. But considering my dissertation advisor has offered to read through and mark each section in advance I can't see how I couldn't get a good grade.

RAMBLING ASIDE! Thanks :):yay:

Well it's one of my bottom two choices anyway, but the place is a complete dump. Everything is grubby, and it's full of chavs and wasters.

Really? Phew! I'm so glad I deciced to not bother with my interview. I had a feeling it was a bit shit, but I wasn't sure.

--

Now I've finally got my offer for Journalism at Sheff Uni, I'm shitting myself about getting the grades. It's entirely doable, but because I worry constantly, for the next 12 weeks I'm going to be a complete mess.

Whats peoples opinion on the Uni? (Considering a few peeps on the forum seem to go there).

Hallam or .. the other?

Hallam has the cooler people :p (or at least you may want to say that ;))

Oh and congrats Squash :D!

Hallam or .. the other?

Hallam has the cooler people :p (or at least you may want to say that ;))

Oh and congrats Squash :D!

Not Hallam, the other.

Isn't Abersywyth in the middle of absolutely nowhere though?

It is in the middle of nowhere, tbh. But that nowhere is an area I'm very fond of. :)

I haven't been to Aberystwyth in years. I need to go back there. I sorta miss it.

I also miss the quaint Welsh villages in that nowhere, where I always went on holiday: Borth, Ynyslas, Clannach and the nearby town of Machynlleth.

Wales is awesome. I haven't set foot there in nearly five years. I miss Wales. :(

And I'm posting in the Uni Thread again. Whaddahellamidoing?

Really? Phew! I'm so glad I deciced to not bother with my interview. I had a feeling it was a bit shit, but I wasn't sure.

--

Now I've finally got my offer for Journalism at Sheff Uni, I'm shitting myself about getting the grades. It's entirely doable, but because I worry constantly, for the next 12 weeks I'm going to be a complete mess.

Whats peoples opinion on the Uni? (Considering a few peeps on the forum seem to go there).

Love the place, you'll love it too. The student rep for the journalism department is an old friend of mine, says its a great department.

Student Loan question...

What can you do if your family cannot afford to pay the contribution to the loan? Although my dad earns over £55000 a year (or whatever the cut off is) we currently do not have enough to pay the £3620 contribution to the loan and all I would be getting from the government is £890.

It just limits my options a lot, at the moment it seems if I were to be going to St Andrews or Edinburgh I would have to relying solely on getting a scholarship, bursary or grant which is obviously a really really bad idea.

Contribution? You realise you're the one that pays it off right - once you're earning over £15000 a year and after you've finished uni. It's not something you need to worry about yet. My family wouldn't have been able to if that were the case either!

Contribution? You realise you're the one that pays it off right - once you're earning over £15000 a year and after you've finished uni. It's not something you need to worry about yet. My family wouldn't have been able to if that were the case either!

Might just be a Scottish thing because we get tuition fees then..

Everyone can get the base rate of £890 if their parents income is too high. The SLC (or SAAS in Scotland) then gives the amount that the parents are expected to contribute to the student (some parents will ask for it back others just give it to them) to make sure the student has the right amount of money.

It's a stupid system because as Calza said, some parents even if they do earn loads more than the cut-off rate still can't afford to be giving away £3000 or so a year.

In reply to your question, Calza, I've got absolutely no idea. It's probably worth giving SAAS a phone and explaining your situation.

One option which admittedly isn't a very good one, is to get a student bank account with a big interest free overdraft but that will only help you for one year as it will be full by the end of it. Get a job?

It sucks, I'm on that £890 a year loan too but fortunately my parents are able to give me the amount SAAS quoted. If they didn't I'd just have to live at home and work non-stop.

Might just be a Scottish thing because we get tuition fees then..

Everyone can get the base rate of £890 if their parents income is too high. The SLC (or SAAS in Scotland) then gives the amount that the parents are expected to contribute to the student (some parents will ask for it back others just give it to them) to make sure the student has the right amount of money.

It's a stupid system because as Calza said, some parents even if they do earn loads more than the cut-off rate still can't afford to be giving away £3000 or so a year.

In reply to your question, Calza, I've got absolutely no idea. It's probably worth giving SAAS a phone and explaining your situation.

One option which admittedly isn't a very good one, is to get a student bank account with a big interest free overdraft but that will only help you for one year as it will be full by the end of it. Get a job?

It sucks, I'm on that £890 a year loan too but fortunately my parents are able to give me the amount SAAS quoted. If they didn't I'd just have to live at home and work non-stop.

So your parents pay them 3k, and then they give that 3k to you?

So your parents pay them 3k, and then they give that 3k to you?

No, your parents give £3000 (or whatever the amount is) straight to you as SAAS/SLC think that they are able to afford that because of their income.

No, your parents give £3000 (or whatever the amount is) straight to you as SAAS/SLC think that they are able to afford that because of their income.

But how would they know if they'd given it to you or not?

But how would they know if they'd given it to you or not?

They don't, and they don't even have to. I think it's called "expected parental contribution". That's what Calza is complaining about; his parents aren't able to give him that money which means he's going to be short.

My sister was broke earlier this year, and wrote a letter to SAAS explaining that, even though my dad earns way more than £55,000 per annum, my parents couldn't support her because they are also supporting 4 other kids through higher/private education, and paying for my gran's care home.

She got a £1200 grant. Most of which she spend going towards a nose job, and now is broke again.

Bear in mind she's the most materialistic and manipulative person I've ever met. Could be a super-villain akin to Lex Luthor.

It seems my thing to do tomorrow will be to phone SAAS and see what are my options are.

I'm sorry but if your parents can't find the means to support you through university because they would rather spend all their money on a new kitchen or a holiday or a bigger television, then... well then it sucks to be you.