NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

We have till the end of March, don't we?

Yeah, afaik.

Just sending it now so I can't start freaking out and changing my mind.

Yeah, afaik.

Just sending it now so I can't start freaking out and changing my mind.

Fat Dog Medoza.

AKA

Cool.

St Andrews gave me an unconditional yesterday for Computer Science, Edinburgh and Strathclyde gave me the same as well. Glasgow are just messing about it seems. I'm not really sure what to do, St Andrews is probably my first choice but I Edinburgh's department is probably the best in Scotland. Sigh decisions...

Can somebody explain the student loans? Maybe i'm just being an idiot but I don't really understand why my folk's have to contribute to me taking out a loan, I will only have to pay what the government lends me yeah?

The Student Loan's Compant (SLC) evaluates how much money to lend you based upon your parents' combined incomes, but whatever that figure may be is indeed all you pay back -- kinda. While there's no interest, there's still inflation, so if the value of the pound increases then you pay back enough money to cover the increase - but theoretically, you'd be paying back the same amount in real terms. It's like a mate lending you 50p to buy a can of coke in 2005, but when you pay it back to him in 2009 he suddenly wants 65p -- because that's how much a can of coke costs now.

I don't know if the loans are the same in scotland as they are here, mind you, so I have no idea how helpful that is at all.

I don't know if the loans are the same in scotland as they are here, mind you, so I have no idea how helpful that is at all.

It's exactly the same apart from Scottish students generally get a bit less as we aren't paying tuition fees.

I just want to ask, I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it, it is to do with uni though.

Has anyone ever done a year on a course, found it was shit/not what they expected, then, either pass or fail, didn't go back the next year and took a 'gap year' to find out what they really wanted to do?

After thinking about it now, I'm considering this. Just wondered.

No...! You can't leave! I have plans for us. We're going to be friends 2.0 next year! Chilling out in my flat playing the gamerz!

It's exactly the same apart from Scottish students generally get a bit less as we aren't paying tuition fees.

As far as I know, the difference is the tuition fee - we never actually get out hands on the difference south of the boarder.

No...! You can't leave! I have plans for us. We're going to be friends 2.0 next year! Chilling out in my flat playing the gamerz!

I dunno mate. Just what happened in Concept, it was just shit. I mean Daryl: 'Yeah 7 weeks left and you've got a shit ton of work to do' *Walks away*.

...o_o

I will do it in the end, all of the work, I hate failing things. But yeah, dunno if it's right.

Just got my final uni offer from Belfast. They want AB at A2 and AB at As. (I'm doing 2 A2 and 2 As.)

The Student Loan's Compant (SLC) evaluates how much money to lend you based upon your parents' combined incomes, but whatever that figure may be is indeed all you pay back -- kinda. While there's no interest, there's still inflation, so if the value of the pound increases then you pay back enough money to cover the increase - but theoretically, you'd be paying back the same amount in real terms. It's like a mate lending you 50p to buy a can of coke in 2005, but when you pay it back to him in 2009 he suddenly wants 65p -- because that's how much a can of coke costs now.

The difference being now this mate is adding £45 on a fucking month!! :mad:

With the current fall of the pound would that mean the students loan company are going to ease up on us now?

My form tutor got a lovely letter from Oxford this morning, saying that for maths there were 5.4 applicants per place, and that I was "one of the strongest candidates because of my performance in the interviews and impressive score in the entrance exam".

She told me that I ought to step outside because there wasn't enough room in the classroom for my head.

I won't lie to you, I'm loving it.

*Jumps onto a piano, and starts playing "The Seed Song" by Cerys Matthews with an extraordinary amount of gusto*

That's very impressive, and great news! You should be very proud :) I take it that means you're all but in!

I was rejected by St. Andrews.

Don't worry though, I'm about to dresschange into a Gun Mage. Then I'll be good.

Visited Coventry today. God it's a horrible place.

I've never been to Coventry, but even I know that.

Yep, I posted in the Uni Thread. Bet you never thought I'd do that. I didn't.

I've never been to Coventry, but even I know that.

Well it's one of my bottom two choices anyway, but the place is a complete dump. Everything is grubby, and it's full of chavs and wasters.

Business Management.

Go to Strathclyde; best business school in Scotland and 3rd in the UK outside Oxbridge. ;)

I was rejected by St. Andrews.

Don't worry though, I'm about to dresschange into a Gun Mage. Then I'll be good.

Was it Maths at St. Andrews as well?

Before I sent away my ucas I was pretty much set on St Andrews but now that i've had all the offers back I'm really not sure. I was at Strathclyde today and their courses seemed fantastic as I can do a Meng CS or CS with Law which is different from the other uni's. but I'm not too sure about the department. I was at Edinburgh last week and its facilities were immense and their Computing/Informatics department is ridiculously impressive. I'm not sure about Glasgow, it just seems a bit boring. When I went to St. Andrews I was just awestruck, the town is awesome, the department seems pretty good, smaller class sizes but I'm just not too sure if the courses are as good as Edinburgh's.

Just wondering does anybody here do Computer Science?

Before I sent away my ucas I was pretty much set on St Andrews but now that i've had all the offers back I'm really not sure. I was at Strathclyde today and their courses seemed fantastic as I can do a Meng CS or CS with Law which is different from the other uni's. but I'm not too sure about the department. I was at Edinburgh last week and its facilities were immense and their Computing/Informatics department is ridiculously impressive. I'm not sure about Glasgow, it just seems a bit boring. When I went to St. Andrews I was just awestruck, the town is awesome, the department seems pretty good, smaller class sizes but I'm just not too sure if the courses are as good as Edinburgh's.

FAIL.

Glasgow is the best student city in Scotland, if not the whole UK. There are so many different places to go and things to do. It was actually voted the best student city in the UK a few years back. I had the choice between Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow and chose Glasgow because so many people said it was fantastic for things to do.

Yeah.

St. A's was my 4th choice, so its not really that much of a biggie.

FAIL.

Glasgow is the best student city in Scotland, if not the whole UK. There are so many different places to go and things to do. It was actually voted the best student city in the UK a few years back. I had the choice between Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow and chose Glasgow because so many people said it was fantastic for things to do.

Agreed.

Glasgow is the best place for students in Scotland.

Edinburgh is nice, but all the clubs/bars/sports facilities/houses/restaurants are really expensive. Glasgow is cheaper to live in.

And Glasgow has the best music scene in Scotland. Like, King Tut's and stuff.

My friend does computer science at abber in wales and loves it. Had to get pretty awesome marks for it there though.

I do. I think Sanchez does aswell but dunno if he still comes here.

Screw Edinburgh. I got an offer to go there, though everything about it is pricey, if I stayed at home or halls. Not to mention akward to get there, so I left it. Wonder why I didn't apply to Glasgow though. I remember applying to Strathclyde and Caledonian but not Glasgow for some reason. Would of been cheaper for me I think to go there. Hmm...

Agreed.

Glasgow is the best place for students in Scotland.

Glasgow is cheaper to live in.

And Glasgow has the best music scene in Scotland. Like, King Tut's and stuff.

You also get the smaller venues like the Oran Mor which is fantastic and some other place I was at a few weeks back which was really cool.

In short, Glasgow rox my sox.