NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

Yeah, obviously I am going to get a student loan - I'm not that bad at life.

There's no two ways around the fact I have to earn shitloads of money - at some point.

Is it pressure to do an mmath? It is all the rage these days. I would think it's easy to switch between the two courses if that is the case. It was at Newcastle in my day (graduated in 2002).

Yeah, I think its mmath.

They are typically the same course for the first couple of years so don't sweat it.

Anyone applying for Kent?

Because well, you probably should depending on your course. I want to make it Sheffields younger brother or some stupid family shite like that.

We already have 2 (Possibly 3, I have a vague memory that someone PM'D me about going here, but it might have been Dom).

I'm visiting there for the weekend and in 2 weeks time. Its ok, I prefer Reading university :)

Dom you should come visit here at some point and realise how silly your comment is ;)

Most unis encourage you to do the 4 year MMath rather than the 3 year BSc, since if you aren't doing so well in the 2nd year it's easy to switch down to the 3 year course (as Odwin said, the first two years are the same). I'm currently on the 3 year but will move to the 4 year if I've done well enough.

My mates applying for maths, I told him he was crazy.

But then he is so who knows.

I'd just like to inform you all on Sarka's behalf, that he got offered a place in Cambridge!!

Maths Degree Five! ... Anyone?

I'm doing civil engineering, close enough?

No? Ok, nerdy subject five!

I'd just like to inform you all on Sarka's behalf, that he got offered a place in Cambridge!!

College/subject?

For me, tis

English lit at

UEA - AAB

Leicester - ABB

Southampton - AAB

Leeds - Pending

Exeter - Pending

I wish Leeds / Exter would frickin hurry up :( Two that I most want to go to. Probably thinking of Leeds at the moment.

My grades are all on track now though. 19/20 English CW 91% Art coursework thus far, woop!

It's getting to the point now where If I could drop college, and pack off to Uni right this second, I would. I actually can't wait!

It's getting to the point now where If I could drop college, and pack off to Uni right this second, I would. I actually can't wait!

Mm, I was like that too! ::shrug:

At the halls of ReZ (lol), does the price include things like electricity and water or do you have to pay those bills separately?

Moogle; halls of residence generally all have everything included. Some places charge you for internet access, but it's rare.

I think once clearance day passes, you should receive a pack from your uni that includes accomodation details. Be careful where you choose - some places may not even have internet! wtf!

Moogle; halls of residence generally all have everything included. Some places charge you for internet access, but it's rare.

I think once clearance day passes, you should receive a pack from your uni that includes accomodation details. Be careful where you choose - some places may not even have internet! wtf!

*Nods* Bills are mostly included in halls, I had to pay something like £90 for internet, apparently a luxury, pah...a necessity.

I got a letter from Oxford, about student funding and stuff.

There are two maths courses - a 3 year one, and a 4 year one - and I had always intended to do a 3 year one. However, the tone of the letter made it crystal clear that I'm supposed to do the 4 year course.

I dunno if my parents will be able to afford it, since they're supporting my eldest sister through 4 more years of Medicine, my second oldest through another year of Economics, and then my younger sister through 5 years of private schooling (then there's my littlest sister but my parents will long be retired when it comes to her school/uni funds. She's dyslexic/has learning difficulties/can't speak properly, so I dunno how my parents will address that - it's funny, considering all the other siblings are above averagely intelligent).

Basically - I need to earn shitloads of money somehow.

Why not go to a Scottish Uni and get the free tuition bollocks? I once raised the idea with my parents of perhaps going to Oxbridge and just about got shot.

And surely you'd rather get a Masters than a Bachelors given the choice?

Why not go to a Scottish Uni and get the free tuition bollocks? I once raised the idea with my parents of perhaps going to Oxbridge and just about got shot.

And surely you'd rather get a Masters than a Bachelors given the choice?

Because Oxbridge is famously good. It would be mighty pointless to not go to Oxford, when I've got through all the interviews and entrance exam.

And also job prospects are lovely.

And I feel too familiar with all the Scottish cities/towns. I've only ever been to Oxford once, so it feels lovely that its totally new.

Not at sheffield it isn't, because Unite dominates quite alot of halls here, they charge an excessive amount just for the internet.

I think out of the pack there was only one place that didn't have the internet, very upsetting! :cry:

St Andrews gave me an unconditional yesterday for Computer Science, Edinburgh and Strathclyde gave me the same as well. Glasgow are just messing about it seems. I'm not really sure what to do, St Andrews is probably my first choice but I Edinburgh's department is probably the best in Scotland. Sigh decisions...

Can somebody explain the student loans? Maybe i'm just being an idiot but I don't really understand why my folk's have to contribute to me taking out a loan, I will only have to pay what the government lends me yeah?

Uh oh..... I send off my UCAS form tomorrow!!!!

We have till the end of March, don't we?