NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

Finishing packing now so that I can rave it up with the boys and girls that are left!!!

going to leave early tomorrow and I'm getting really worried now. hoping I can drive there because it will be my last drive for a while. Dad trying to downsize my tv to my sisters which is utter shite. HDTV=MINE!

Mum went out and bought some nice clothes for me today, PRADA t-shirt O_O, and some shoes :D Getting ready for university wahey.

I have no idea where I want to go to art college.

I ideally want to leave Scotland, simply for the sake of branching out. It feels annoying, since Edinburgh (my home city), is THE nicest British city I've been to. No joke. It's just great, only gripe being lack of a professional music scene. As in, most places that DO get decent professional acts in are 18+, so I have to go to Glasgow, which is ok.

So ECA isn't an option for me. I want to live in halls anyway. Glasgow maybe, as mentioned, good social scene and whatnot. it's just so "industrial city"-ish. Especially compared to Edinburgh, which is actually really beautiful in comparison.

London seems like too much of a trek, and I'm already over Wales.

*sighs*

^ I know what it's like. Before I started Psychology, I was going to do art or architecture. I had been going to school in Edinburgh for years and it just wasn't an option for me. Was so hard to find decent places. I mean there are loads of good art colleges, ECA for example is really good, but it comes down to the city/town where the college is situated. Didn't look into Glasgow for art but then I have met people from there doing art who say it's good.

The one thing I will say about the London art colleges are that they are notoriously hard to get into. One of my friends was going to go to one of them, can't remember the name, and he was really good at art (when he could be bothered to do any work) and he had to take a year out to work on his folio before he could go. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on that. Dundee's good for art as well from what I saw when at the open days.

Guys, in my new room at Aston Uni right now....and I am fucking scared. Parents just left and all on my lonesome right now. I'm sharing with 6 others but so far, only met 2 others. Others are probably coming tomorrow.

I'm fucking nervous. Don't know anyone here, don't know the area, don't know where anything is. Blmey this independance stuff is scary. Was well up for it before hand but now that I'm here, its kinda just hit me.

Guys, in my new room at Aston Uni right now....and I am fucking scared. Parents just left and all on my lonesome right now. I'm sharing with 6 others but so far, only met 2 others. Others are probably coming tomorrow.

I'm fucking nervous. Don't know anyone here, don't know the area, don't know where anything is. Blmey this independance stuff is scary. Was well up for it before hand but now that I'm here, its kinda just hit me.

I think a lot of people feel like that at first - I know I did. Talk to people, do stuff, get to know the place, and soon that feeling will melt away.

I finally decided what I want to do at uni, yay me =P I have decided to take Politics and I will be applying to Newcastle, Durham, Warwick and Exeter. Not sure on the fifth choice yet, possibly York though I am not sure. Exeter is easily the easiest one to get into, it also looks very nice but it's so far from where I currently live =(. Anyone doing a Politics degree or studying at those places I have mentioned? Any experiences or information is welcome.

Keep yourself busy. Chat to your roomies, head out for a walk. The sooner you learn your area and make friends the sooner you will feel comfortable....what ever you do don't sit around on the internet (for too long)

I think a lot of people feel like that at first - I know I did. Talk to people, do stuff, get to know the place, and soon that feeling will melt away.

Hope you're right mate!:smile:

Keep yourself busy. Chat to your roomies, head out for a walk. The sooner you learn your area and make friends the sooner you will feel comfortable....what ever you do don't sit around on the internet (for too long)

Was planning on doing that tomorrow morning, find out where everything is etc. I think I've calmed down a bit since my last post. And don't worry I don't plan on sitting around on the internet! Will definitely go to some of the frsher events with my roomies (if they're nice!).

Haha, I was the same kinda. I just went to the bar every night and made friends with people. (I haven't really talked to my housemates, they all do their own thing.)

Do not underestimate your housemates, mind. I'm still living with a guy I lived with in the first year, and we're pretty good mates.

Also, thinking about it, most people have stayed friends longer with their housemates in the first year than anything else in particular.

So, its worth thinking about. After all, you are living with these people, too.

Makes friends with your flatmates. I've only been with them a week and a half and we're all great mates now..I think.

Some people came around with invoices and said our flat was the most sociable and wasn't morbid like others. Making and eating your tea with people is much better than doing it by yourself. Sitting in the kitchen is just as good with them.

Do not underestimate your housemates, mind. I'm still living with a guy I lived with in the first year, and we're pretty good mates.

Also, thinking about it, most people have stayed friends longer with their housemates in the first year than anything else in particular.

So, its worth thinking about. After all, you are living with these people, too.

Definitely man. I plan on getting to know them better but some are yet to arrive. I'll try my best!

[Mega Bump!]

To all you 2009 people (like myself), UCAS forms have been sent and offers recieved. So where are you all thinking of going? Top choices? etc.

I have recieved 4 offers out of the 5 i have applied for (so far).

Computer Science:

Nottingham - 320 (I was expecting a higher offer tbh, no complaints from me though)

East Anglia (UEA) - 300

Plymouth - 240

Lincoln - 260

Cardiff - Pending - (Informal Interview)

I havn't really got a top choice as of yet, although i do have favourites. Cardiff doesn't appeal to me really, or Nottingham for that matter. The Notts campus was nice, but i've seen enough of the city to know it's not a place for me. But like i said, i don't really know.

: peace:

Congrats Strider, that's really good!

I've applied to do Chemistry (MChem) with a year in Europe.

I've recieved an offer from Edinburgh so long as i get BBB, and then I have interviews at Manchester, Bath, York and Sheffield coming up really soon. I'm having to go all over the place, it's mad!

EDIT: My top choice at the moment is probably Sheffield because the accomodation, department, and city are all great. But I haven't yet seen Edinburgh or Bath so who knows?

Sheffieeeeeeeeeeld *woo woo woo*

... Yeah travelling around to check the places out is a pain in teh arse. Like you, I am (was?) a southerner, so trekking to sheffield was bitching. If you're lucky you might be able to squeeze manchester in on the same day - it's an hour away by train, so entirely possible.

Be sure to know what you're looking for when you visit, too!

Good luck to you all. It's pretty rare to not get an offer back, and besides you can only really have two choices (firm and insurance) so it's no big deal if you don't get a response.

I'm really worried (and too scared to find out) if UCAS deadlines for Route B are over...I'm planning on not fully going to art college yet, instead doing a direct application to a foundation year, but decided I want to apply to Edinbugh just for first year now...

*coldsweat*

I'm really worried (and too scared to find out) if UCAS deadlines for Route B are over...I'm planning on not fully going to art college yet, instead doing a direct application to a foundation year, but decided I want to apply to Edinbugh just for first year now...

*coldsweat*

You're fine according to the UCAS site, the dates are between 1 September 2008 – 24 March 2009 for route B. Anything after that is considered a late application and Universities and colleges will consider them if they want to make more offers.

You're fine according to the UCAS site, the dates are between 1 September 2008 – 24 March 2009 for route B. Anything after that is considered a late application and Universities and colleges will consider them if they want to make more offers.

Oh. Thanks! I thought it was sooner than that!

Got 3

Belfast

Aberystwyth - 260

Coventry - 260

Essex - 300

Plymouth - (got a letter but not an offer)

Not sent off my form yet, but here are my choices:

1 - Edinburgh college of art

2 - University of Dundee

3 - Gray's school of art

I've opted for first year studies at all 3, hopefully I'll get in!

I didn't get the grades for Edinburgh, but I'm hoping my portfolio will help sway the situ.

Got 3

Belfast

Aberystwyth - 260

Coventry - 260

Essex - 300

Plymouth - (got a letter but not an offer)

belfast?

woo which one? and which course?

r_a did tell me one day but i completly forgot :P

Easy day at Uni today, practically didn't do anything, hah. Was far ahead than most people in the lecture.

@ Letty - University of Dundee, eh? Come! Can be little a teeny-tiny N-E meet. :D The art department is alright but I'm on the other side of campus in some of the most drab buildings ever. The psychology one must have been a nut-house at some point and it's just so depressing in there. But yes, come to Fun-dee!