NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

It probably won't but what the hell eh?

:heh:

P.S how much is the maintanence loan btw? just curious.

Up to about 3grand. Why not just use a student overdraft instead?

Great, my parents want me to get a student loan now....bit late don't you think!?

A friend of my sister's had to reapply about this time of year as hers went walkabout in the post. It took about 2 months for any money to show up from them.

Up to about 3grand. Why not just use a student overdraft instead?

I do have an overdraft, but just a little unsure about how to use it. Any help?:smile:

I do have an overdraft, but just a little unsure about how to use it. Any help?:smile:

If it's set up on your account already all you have to do is spend all the money in your account and carry on using that card and you'll go into the overdraft.

If it's set up on your account already all you have to do is spend all the money in your account and carry on using that card and you'll go into the overdraft.

oh ok. Didn't think it was that simple!

Word of warning though - the overdraft is great until you get out of uni when the banks impose their charges upon it.

The student loan has interest that is linked to inflation - you don't pay any fees on top of this!

If you go down the "oh I'll just use the overdraft" route then that can lead to getting a credit card,e tc = massive debt. The student loan is sensible debt - oh and you will need a maintainance grant unless your folks are paying rent and giving you an allowence.

If you go down the "oh I'll just use the overdraft" route then that can lead to getting a credit card,e tc = massive debt.

I have a cunning plan for Uni - don't touch credit cards with a barge pole.

Hey Guys can anyone recommend a laptop for Uni, preferably people at Uni or that have already started Uni life. I have a budget of around £300 and am thinking its probably best to get something cheap light and easy and avoid performance hungry monsters, (not that I can afford any) so any suggestions? Btw is laptop thievery really a problem at uni?

Hey Guys can anyone recommend a laptop for Uni, preferably people at Uni or that have already started Uni life. I have a budget of around £300 and am thinking its probably best to get something cheap light and easy and avoid performance hungry monsters, (not that I can afford any) so any suggestions? Btw is laptop thievery really a problem at uni?

It shouldn't be a problem theft wise, I mean the real reason for theft of any sort at uni seems to be lack of common sense. You should always treat your accomdation like you would at home. You wouldn't go out your own home without locking up, so don't forget at uni! Besides if it's a worry grab yourself some insurance, I know for some things (like my tv etc) I'm cover on my parents house insurance :)

I have a cunning plan for Uni - don't touch credit cards with a barge pole.

Too bloody right! the one piece of advice given to me by any person thats gone to uni is don't eat yellow snow

i mean don't get a credit card

Re: laptop theft.

not that common, but plausible. I know people who have had theirs nicked in the past.

My friend Matt bought the laptop version of a bike chain for his desk. Get one of those if you're really worried but in truth it's more of a problem for private housing than Halls. Students often live in poor areas, and there are guys who prowl about looking for empty houses to rob because they can get a big hoard from a house with 5 laptops in or something.

Worst I heard of was a taxi company in Liverpool who tipped off gangs of thieves when they picked up a house load of students and gave them empty addresses to ransack.

Re: laptop theft.

not that common, but plausible. I know people who have had theirs nicked in the past.

My friend Matt bought the laptop version of a bike chain for his desk. Get one of those if you're really worried but in truth it's more of a problem for private housing than Halls. Students often live in poor areas, and there are guys who prowl about looking for empty houses to rob because they can get a big hoard from a house with 5 laptops in or something.

Worst I heard of was a taxi company in Liverpool who tipped off gangs of thieves when they picked up a house load of students and gave them empty addresses to ransack.

Sounds about right for some areas of liverpool. :heh:

Word of warning though - the overdraft is great until you get out of uni when the banks impose their charges upon it.

The student loan has interest that is linked to inflation - you don't pay any fees on top of this!

If you go down the "oh I'll just use the overdraft" route then that can lead to getting a credit card,e tc = massive debt. The student loan is sensible debt - oh and you will need a maintainance grant unless your folks are paying rent and giving you an allowence.

I think my parents are gonna do that but I dunno how much I need to realistically ask for (any suggestions?) I think once they know, they will be more comfortable with my financial situation. I want my overdraft to be there for emergencies only. :heh:

I think my parents are gonna do that but I dunno how much I need to realistically ask for (any suggestions?) I think once they know, they will be more comfortable with my financial situation. I want my overdraft to be there for emergencies only. :heh:

You should have really asked them months ago, I had to just to make sure. Realistically you should see which parts they can help with (currently my parents are paying for the accomdation and student finance are paying for the course). Rather than saying oh I need 5grand for such and such.

Got my laptop today from Dell for Uni. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to touch it until my father backs up all of the factory installed settings, then installs all of the anti-virus stuff, and then all of the Microsoft office stuff, and gets the wireless and email sorted. Pain in the arse but at least I'm not having to do it. It's good having a dad who's job is designing computer chips as he knows how to set everything up on a computer.

Only a week left before I start (well it's matriculation for the first week so one day and then I'm off for the rest) and I keep remembering tiny little things that I still need to sort out. My mother even asked about Fresher's Week and why I wasn't going to anything. Seems she's trying to get rid of me. :(

You should have really asked them months ago, I had to just to make sure. Realistically you should see which parts they can help with (currently my parents are paying for the accomdation and student finance are paying for the course). Rather than saying oh I need 5grand for such and such.

better late than never eh?:heh:

My parents will be paying for the tuition fee and accomodation. I will be paying for food and other day to day stuff. I'm just not sure if I have enough cash to last me! Will definately need a job to help through the year. Overdraft will also come in handy. Not too sure if I need the loan...surely if I find a job, I'll be sorted?

meh.//

Only a week left before I start (well it's matriculation for the first week so one day and then I'm off for the rest) and I keep remembering tiny little things that I still need to sort out. My mother even asked about Fresher's Week and why I wasn't going to anything. Seems she's trying to get rid of me. :(

Why aren't you going to the freshers stuff? There'll be loads of cool things happening and chances to meet loads of new people. I can't wait for freshers week this year, actually looking forward to it more this year than I was last year because I'm not worrying about making new friends this time round.

I didn't go to my freshers week in the first year. Mostly because I wasn't living in campus and would have to had sleep on the streets as I didn't know anyone on campus.

To be fair theres only one decent day during Freshers week at our uni. (well I suppose its different with fresh eyes).

Oh and be warned, it can be known as "Fresher Meat" by some unscrupulous 2nd and 3rd years :p

Ok, I'm incredibly confused.

The Kent website says they want accomodation fee's paid by the dates in the contract, but the first date is the 20th. I don't get paid my loan until the 29th. How the fuck do they expect people to pay this shit before they've even gotten their loan money through.

Also, they say they want me to send a copy of my Student Finance financial notification for tuition loans, but they don't say who.

And one more thing, is on the getting started thing, they say you need to 'Arrange a method and system of payment' and that their guide thing will help you. All their guide thing does is list what they accept and a link to their online payment system.

Dooom heeelp.

Oh and be warned, it can be known as "Fresher Meat" by some unscrupulous 2nd and 3rd years :p

That's pretty much the only reason I'm going, loads of incredibly drunk first year girls (and guys, if you're into that) up for the taking. :)

The main reason I'm not going to any Fresher's stuff is that I'm not living in the vicinity of the campus and I can guarantee that the last train home will be at 10pm (who leaves a party/bar/club at 10pm?). I'm travelling on the train every morning and evening back and forth. And I'm not really into the whole club/dancing thing. from the list of stuff on at my Fresher's Week, there are a few shows, but I don't really wanna go see them, and the rest is all club stuff. I'm not against the whole drinking thing but I just don't like the club scene. Been to many clubs and I've hated each time I've been to one because of the music and the atmosphere (probably doesn't help that my friends abandon me with all of their coats and I can't do anything).

I might change my mind once I've started (wouldn't mind going to the Ian Watkins DJ set but then again, I'm not fussed).