NEurope
Helmsly

The House of The Dead: Overkill

What'll be interesting is to see how Overkill sells long term. Nintendo seem to have mastered the 'long sell', lets see if the harder Hardcore titles have legs too.

Would these charts not make it the HotD only had a few days to get on the charts, where as the other games aside from F.E.A.R had all week?

I think so because i think the charts sales are count on Saturday night.

What'll be interesting is to see how Overkill sells long term. Nintendo seem to have mastered the 'long sell', lets see if the harder Hardcore titles have legs too.

HOTD 2/3 stayed in the top 20 for a month and half in the uk charts.

10th is pretty damn good. I'm sure SEGA would be pleased with that. It shows that there is a mature base for titles on the Wii and that they will be bought if released. Developers, take note!

As for the game, have just got Overkill unlocked for play after finishing Fetid Waters and Jailhouse what-do-you-call-it. The brightness in Fetid Waters was a real problem at some parts. So hard to see where some of the mutants were. Basically shooting blind, with the only guidance being the reticule turning red. Boss was a bit easy on that one, as was the one on the jailhouse level. Those mutant riot guards annoyed me. No matter where I aimed at their legs when walking, it would never hit them. Oh, and even more slowdown in Fetid Waters. Don't understand that one. It was so dark you could barely see anything so there really shouldn't have been much slowdown on it. I wouldn't say it's ruining the experience of playing the game but it is getting a little annoying and seems like something which could have been ironed out if they had spent some more time testing the game and pushed the date back a bit. But apart from that, I'm enjoying the experience although the Hand Cannon is starting to chaff my index finger. Think my hand is too big for the handle as my index finger is rubbing against the trigger bit.

And this may sound stupid but how the hell do you change weapon during the level? You can take two into it as can be seen from the weapon selection screen before you start the level but I couldn't figure out how to change from my magnum to my shotgun.

And this may sound stupid but how the hell do you change weapon during the level? You can take two into it as can be seen from the weapon selection screen before you start the level but I couldn't figure out how to change from my magnum to my shotgun.

Press 1 or 2.

Had some marathon co-op sessions over the weekend, seriously highlights the lack of difficulty but great fun regardless.

And I really enjoyed seeing my friends reactions to the scenes with warden Clement, especially the ending.

Great entertainment. :grin:

They should have done TV advertising just with a montage of people's facial expressions during those moments, would be a good idea for experience vids on Wii.com too. :heh:

By the way, has anyone else unlocked the ice cream van in the extras 3D section? (you need the kill 50 mutants "gangster style" achievement) Zoom in on it and have a look around if you do, it's pretty damn funny. :laughing:

Love the style and vibe about it. As does everyone who plays it. What I love about it is its not trying to be big and clever with its swearing and big titted girls it knows what its doing and plays on it expertly. Think it benefits from the grindhouse cheesy horror feel and way it presents itself as a film of that era.
I agree.

Was a great move by SEGA having a UK developer handle it, HotD was in desperate need of freshening up and that was the perfect way to do it I reckon. icon14.gif

Played through it twice now. My only complaint is that it's to easy. Even on DC mode.
Yeah I feel that they should have made DC mode a lot more difficult, or chucked in an additional setting on top of that one. Extra Mutants doesn’t really cut it as far as increasing the difficulty is concerned.

I’ve still not purchased any new weapons from the gun shop and I’ve beaten the game like 5 times already! :hehe:

Playing without the reticule is the way to go if you want to make the game more challenging, it works great too as long as you've got enough distance between the Wii Remote and the sensor bar. Blatantly the way Overkill is intended to be played too, pure arcade goodness. :awesome:

Anyway, here's hoping Headstrong get the ok for a sequel. Would be cool if they could fix the difficultly issue, perhaps put in some better mini-games too. The one's in Overkill were all right but I'd have preferred infinite style challenges rather than time based. The survival one would have been sweet if it'd keep on going and getting harder the longer you play it, until you just get completely overwhelmed. More incentive for high scores that way too.

Redshell: Any updated impressions on the gun shells? Now you've played it a fair bit?

Had some marathon co-op sessions over the weekend, seriously highlights the lack of difficulty but great fun regardless.

And I really enjoyed seeing my friends reactions to the scenes with warden Clement, especially the ending.

Great entertainment. :grin:

They should have done TV advertising just with a montage of people's facial expressions during those moments, would be a good idea for experience vids on Wii.com too. :heh:

By the way, has anyone else unlocked the ice cream van in the extras 3D section? (you need the kill 50 mutants "gangster style" achievement) Zoom in on it and have a look around if you do, it's pretty damn funny. :laughing:

I agree.

Was a great move by SEGA having a UK developer handle it, HotD was in desperate need of freshening up and that was the perfect way to do it I reckon. icon14.gif

Yeah I feel that they should have made DC mode a lot more difficult, or chucked in an additional setting on top of that one. Extra Mutants doesn’t really cut it as far as increasing the difficulty is concerned.

I’ve still not purchased any new weapons from the gun shop and I’ve beaten the game like 5 times already! :hehe:

Playing without the reticule is the way to go if you want to make the game more challenging, it works great too as long as you've got enough distance between the Wii Remote and the sensor bar. Blatantly the way Overkill is intended to be played too, pure arcade goodness. :awesome:

Anyway, here's hoping Headstrong get the ok for a sequel. Would be cool if they could fix the difficultly issue, perhaps put in some better mini-games too. The one's in Overkill were all right but I'd have preferred infinite style challenges rather than time based. The survival one would have been sweet if it'd keep on going and getting harder the longer you play it, until you just get completely overwhelmed. More incentive for high scores that way too.

Agreed on both the bold points. I think Headstrong definitely deserve to get a second crack at the whip, they have reinvented and revived the series in my opinion and have definitely given it a much needed kick up the arse and funnily enough as well has really made me want to invest in more of the lightgun shooters for the Wii, so Sega are likely to make even more money out of me as they have the most out on the system. (god that was one long sentence)

But yeah definitely worth a look for anyone wanting a title that offers something different compared to a lot of other Wii titles.

Redshell: Any updated impressions on the gun shells? Now you've played it a fair bit?
Same as my initial impressions, the Perfect Shot is definitely the better shell due to being lighter and the more responsive trigger. But the Hand Cannon is by no means bad and a lot of fun... heavy fun. :heh:

Agreed on both the bold points. I think Headstrong definitely deserve to get a second crack at the whip
Yeah I would love another Overkill (for the reasons I pointed out in my last post) but at the same time it'd be very interesting to see what they could do with a different franchise as well.

Was watching this video interview earlier on:

http://www.seganerds.com/2009/02/16/exclusive-interview-headstrong-games-on-house-of-the-dead-overkill/

@ 14:24 they get asked what SEGA game they would like to work on and one of them says Space Channel 5. Now that would be sweeeeet! :hehe:

Also interesting, is just before that question (14:06 on the vid) when asked if they have been approached to make any more games, they all kind of pause and look at each other not sure what to say and then the guy finally says "I think that's a no comment" Makes me think something else is already cooking between SEGA and Headstrong. ;)

So when you say other franchises...if they did a Virtua Cop Overkill (that would really work) or Ghost Squad Overkill?! I love that idea...although obviously doesn't need to be limited to light gun games they could alter others into the genre...

So when you say other franchises...if they did a Virtua Cop Overkill (that would really work) or Ghost Squad Overkill?! I love that idea...although obviously doesn't need to be limited to light gun games they could alter others into the genre...

I would love to see Virtua Cop on the Wii in any form - those games were great.

Finished this earlier today. Last level was alright. It only got good at the end. I'll tag it for those who haven't gotten up to and completed it.

Loved the missing scene bit. Classic. And picking it up after they've killed the Mother only for her to come back and allow you to actually fight her. Strange thing happened to me in the boss fight though. At the start, I had near enough full health but Mother hit me and I died in one losing half of my points. What's that all about. Still, they went slightly obscure with how Varla met her end. Don't know why they've got the brain but then it was left open enough for a direct sequel. Oh and the guy crawling back up inside his mother was kind of creepy.

Anyways, I'll run through a couple of the levels again to pick up some money and buy all of the guns and upgrade them. Only got two weapons, one fully upgraded and the other nearly fully upgraded. Also have to go through Director's Cut. Did an extra mutants run on Papa's Palace of Pain and was so pissed to get through the majority of the level without any damage and then having to reload with a mutant right on top of me. So annoyed.

Wait... wut?

Number 10? How did they manage to do that? House of the Dead is a franchise that lost his popularity and even those who liked the games, at least most of them, hate the new vibe given.

I'm damn surprised this game got picked up so much.

Glad to say that making hardcore games actually pays off.

Wait... wut?

Number 10? How did they manage to do that? House of the Dead is a franchise that lost his popularity and even those who liked the games, at least most of them, hate the new vibe given.

Because IGN's great reviews and their helpfullness toward the pal gamer? :p

so what now good games aren't allowed to do well? :heh:

Sigh...

FROM THE MAIN PAGE PEOPLE!

For context purposes, the release of House of the Dead 2+3 Return saw that port enter the same chart at number 15. Incidentally, this weeks All-Format chart sees Overkill sit at number 15. 2+3 Return entered the All-Format chart at number 21 on its week of release, so it's certainly encouraging to see this original effort improve on that! Return went on to sell approximately one million copies worldwide.

And that still caused confusion, so here's my follow-up comment:

The difference between the charts is that the Individual Charts track games on their individual SKUs. For example, notice how the 360 version of Left 4 Dead is in the top 10, with the PC version missing out. The All Format charts combines multi-platform games like Fifa or Call Of Duty. That's why exclusives can do well in the Individual Chart but seem low in the All Format Chart. In contrast, multi-platform games do very well in the All Format Chart, while the different versions of the same game can spread out quite a lot in the Individual Charts.

Not to sound condesending, but it's not difficult.

One day people will read it all :heh:

Should just copy and paste that quote to save you from repeating yourself again.

Simply couldn't decide so ordered one Perfect Shot and one Hand Cannon!!!
Cool, the best of both worlds. icon14.gif

Let us know which one you prefer.

Yeah, I don't mean that they need to follow the exact same formula as Overkill, just that they appear to be a very talented group and clearly have a great understanding of developing for Wii, so I imagine they could produce good results regardless of the franchise / genre. Perhaps a bit premature for me to think like that based off only one game, but I have been seriously impressed with Overkill.

Speaking of which, I just did an epic play through of Ballistic Trauma. Goregasm'd the entire stage, 100% accuracy! :awesome:

I got a bit too worried about losing my combo about halfway through the stage though, so I avoided shooting quite a few golden brains. Means there's still some room for improvement of my score. :grin:

With reticule or without?
With. :heh:

I'm not that good!... yet. ;)

Is there a points bonus for non-reticule players?
Nope, no bonus for non-reticule players.

The more and more I think about it I would love a Virtua Cop Overkill (working title of course) it would be a mix of Lethal Weapon, Bad Boys with the odd bit of Police Academy chucked in for good measure. SEGA do it and make me a happy man.

It's not out of the question:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/11716

In an interview with Cubed3 last week, House of the Dead: Overkill developers Headstrong Games told us they're keen to work with SEGA again in the future, also expressing an interest in a new Virtua Cop. Below is a snippet of the upcoming interview.

So if SEGA came to you and said 'could you do Virtua Cop: Overkill?', would you be up for it? Spoofing all like old police movies and stuff.

Neil McEwen, Producer of HotD: Overkill: Yeah, I mean the thing is, we spent a lot of time creating our characters, creating that universe, and we know where these characters came from, and where these characters go, and what their fathers and mothers did before. We really worked out this family tree and we kinda know, we've worked out where they go and what happens to them. And we'd love to do Virtua Cop or another light gun game for SEGA. Anything for SEGA's fine!

Have you considered, like, any other franchises, following on from that, have you thought of any other franchises you'd like to do, SEGA or otherwise really?

NE: The thing is, when SEGA came to us and said they'd like to work with us, we talked about a number of games and I think SEGA picked up on our passion to do The House of the Dead. We went 'yeah we'll do you a House of the Dead!' [less enthusiastic] 'And we'll do this, blah blah... and we can do you Jet Set Radio.' But yeah, definitely, I joined Headstrong about a year ago and I went there to do House of the Dead with a team that absolutely love that game, you could see that they wanted to do something special. I had the best year of my career, it was just fun, we had great fun making that game. I didn't want it to end.

Because IGN's great reviews and their helpfullness toward the pal gamer? :p

so what now good games aren't allowed to do well? :heh:

Was that Ironic?

Because IGN did help with the sales.

Still, surprised it sold so much, they must have a great score at MetaCritics, or something.