NEurope
Helmsly

The House of The Dead: Overkill

Score, my copy just arrived. Loving the box art on the CE and normal game, simple yet gives a sense of what the games about. The comic looks neat aswell, though I don't have time to read it, had a quick glance. There's even some adverts/coupons at the start and end of it that are quite funny.

Have to say the package looks really well done :)

Just finished the fist couple of levels and its just what I wanted, a fast paced lightgun game with plenty of things to shoot. Im just upgrading my handgun at the moment and will buy shotgun later in the game.

If only they could have added online co-op. That could of proved to be immense fun. Hopefully if there's a sequel...

If only they could have added online co-op. That could of proved to be immense fun. Hopefully if there's a sequel...

With Wii Speak would be awesome

played the 1st 3 levels, thought it was great fun and the graphics are very good :) 3rd level in particular is a fav :)

has anyone purchased the official hand cannons? Verdict? I'm tempted to splash out.

Is the calibration option any good?

Played the first level before going out...i'm finding it quite difficult..well the boss slightly is anyway..i'm crap at games though..haha

Great game though, very polished..ott swearing is hilarious..i actually laughed out loud a few times too..which is rare for a game.

Wii Zapper is great with it, so i won't be purchasing any others.

Well glad to hear all the positive comments being made about this. Will be my first Wii purchase for a very long time and simply put I cannot wait.

Arrived today, and I've only played through the first couple of chapters, but I'm really loving it!

Massive kudos for Headstrong. They've really nailed that light-gun action feel, and the best thing is, it's all tied up in a ground-up Wii game with a slick-as-ass presentation.

a game where you shoot zombies arms and legs off

"mutants", not "zombies"

Sega wouldn't let them use the word zombie because its disrespectful to the dead in Japan. Useless trivia joy!

Glad to see others enjoying it too :) My housemate and her boyfriend are currently playing. We even made zombie cake to celebrate.

"mutants", not "zombies"

Sega wouldn't let them use the word zombie because its disrespectful to the dead in Japan. Useless trivia joy!

Glad to see others enjoying it too :) My housemate and her boyfriend are currently playing. We even made zombie cake to celebrate.

To celebrate what? Dead Japanese people? :blank:

"mutants", not "zombies"

I was wondering why in the game G told Washington not to use the Z word :)

Yeah it was a meta joke apparently.

(and I could go into Japanese death customs and stuff to elaborate the point but I doubt anyone cares :p)

Oh man, this is gold! icon14.gif

I knew I was going to love it from the trailers and making-of documentaries. But the people behind this game have done such an incredible job that I'm going to be eagerly anticipating the announcement of any future titles from them.

The presentation is so damn cool. All of the style from the trailers is present and the attention to detail is just crazy... The worn celluloid effect, the movement of the camera/characters, the voice overs, the music, it all comes together perfectly to create a really great vibe.

No way can I talk about Overkill and not give special mention to the soundtrack though, it is sublime! Funk is one of my favourite genres of music so I'm always really happy to hear it in games. And this is certainly right up there with de Blob and most definitely going to be joining it on my Mp3 player as soon as possible. :awesome:

As for the game play, it is immensely fun and incredibly satisfying, much more so than Umbrella Chronicles put it that way. None of that frustrating pixel perfect aiming required for head shots in this game! It controls just as you'd expect it to, fast and responsive. The only potential issue being slight frame skips here and there (although minor) that can throw your aim off (as the cursor also skips). It can be annoying when it results in losing a combo chain, but bizarrely it also seems to add to the whole old school movie feel and I quickly found myself starting to accept it as another part of the visual charm. Never thought I'd ever find a frame rate glitch in a game to be a good thing, but in Overkill it kind of is. :D

Have played through and completed the main story (the 3 hour estimation for doing so is pretty much spot-on) and the finale has to be one of, if not the most, messed up things I've ever seen in a video game...

...Returning to the womb? What the hell were they on when they came up with that!?

:eek: In fact, pretty much every scene with that freaky character was disturbing. The mother fucker conversation between G and Washington at the end was funny, their entire dialogue throughout the story was entertaining actually, but it was sad that we didn't get to see much from Varla :p as she was a great character and had some very amusing lines also...

...be interesting to see what changes story wise in the directors cut. I just did the first stage on it, you definitely notice the difficulty increase! Took a lot longer to play through too. Looking forward to trying out co-op as well, should be a right laugh I reckon.

Anyway, very pleased with the game. Really hope it gets the attention/sales that it deserves. And based on just how much effort the developers have put in to it, that would be a lot.

Is the calibration option any good?
Not got enough space to test it out in my room, as apparently you need to be pretty far from the sensor bar for it to work well. Will try it out when I move my Wii to the living room.

has anyone purchased the official hand cannons? Verdict? I'm tempted to splash out.
Still waiting on mine from Play.com, been playing with the Perfect Shot today though and it works great, much better than with just the Wii Remote. I imagine the Hand Cannon will be pretty much the same really, but will let you know for sure once it arrives. : peace:

Yeah cheers RedShell, I've just managed to get a cheap UK wii and after reading what you said I might pick this up cheap. Need to buy a shell for the wiimote as well though as I know it will suck with just the 'mote.

Haven't played a Light Gun game since Time Crisis on the PS1 in 1998. Could be interesting... :p

Does this play much better with a Wii-mote shell then?

Because up until now, the opposite has been true for RE:UC and Links Crossbow Training!

Still waiting on mine from Play.com, been playing with the Perfect Shot today though and it works great, much better than with just the Wii Remote. I imagine the Hand Cannon will be pretty much the same really, but will let you know for sure once it arrives. : peace:

cool, i might order two next week if you give a good report on it, I haven't got the Zapper cuz to me, it just looks naff... but visually these handcannons look fracking sweet as warm apple pie :p

Can't wait to pick this game up tomorrow now.

This game is so damn funny! It's brilliant. I've finished the normal mode with extra mutants. Gonna crack a go on Director's Cut in a day or two. :)

Only completed the first stage, but gonna go and have a good playthrough now that I have Chrono Trigger slightly out my system :)

Does this play much better with a Wii-mote shell then?

Because up until now, the opposite has been true for RE:UC and Links Crossbow Training!

You've not tried any of SEGA's awesome lightgun/Zapper games on the Wii?!

To celebrate what? Dead Japanese people? :blank:

To celebrate Zombie day ::shrug: I dunno. I got back around 8pm and she was just beginning to bake a cake and made it zombified by putting a giant slash in the top and having green goo (icing) oozing out.