NEurope
Helmsly

The House of The Dead: Overkill

Was that Ironic?

Because IGN did help with the sales.

Still, surprised it sold so much, they must have a great score at MetaCritics, or something.

Please. I'd imagine IGN's review would have influenced about 5% of all those that read it. Most people would have decided beforehand.

(I should really transcribe that interview soon)

I tried to play without the reticule earlier... did better than I thought I would, played the 1st level, normal cut, extra mutants. Got to Ultra Hardcore 3 times, once I was one kill away from Psychotic but missed the next shot, damnit. haha.

Played the 1st two levels in Directors Cut, the added length is bloody awesome, didn't think it would add so much to the level... plus even more mutant, love it.

Shame the bosses difficulty didn't go up though.

I reckon one thing that would make this game better is if the secondary weapons had limited ammo and you could collect more through the levels, and the Handgun (unlimited ammo) couldn't be switched out before starting a level.

The unlimited ammo for all weapons makes it too easy to just max out the auto shotgun or handcannon and just use that for one hit kills (except bosses) through the whole level

I'm motherfucking loving this fine fucking game :heh: completed the standard cut last night and I'm gonna tackle the Directors Cut today, the boss difficulty doesn't bother me, sure it tells you where to shoot but you would figure that out anyway the first time so it doesn't matter and they still take a while to kill so they are only as easy as the speed you can kill them in really.

Unlimited ammo? fuck yes love it, limiting the ammo would have made the game a bit more sedate tbh, it's a game where you can pick your favourite weapon, blast the balls off of Zom... Mutants! (don't use the "Z" word) and generally have a blast and thats what I love about it, even with unlimited ammo it's likely you will still die on the extra difficulties so the real challenge is making it through without dying and keeping your score intact and not halved, easilly the best light-gun game on Wii to date and the best light-gun game in years on any console Imo.

I reckon one thing that would make this game better is if the secondary weapons had limited ammo

Limiting the ammo wouldn't be overkill though, would it? ;)

I started purchasing other guns yesterday (got the hand cannon and the 2 shotguns) the shotgun is ridiculous, you can just obliterate everything! :laughing: Also, could they make the reticule for it any bigger? Takes up half the screen! :heh:

Still it adds to the comedy/fun factor, so it's all good.

Please. I'd imagine IGN's review would have influenced about 5% of all those that read it. Most people would have decided beforehand.

(I should really transcribe that interview soon)

5%? That much?

Fucking hell, IGN is getting better.

Rented this and blasted through it in a couple hours.

It was a pretty average game. High speed point and click. The cutscenes were very funny, especially the very last (not the after credits one). Definitely the highlight of the game.

I think I would have enjoyed it more but after Left4Dead this was tame and stupidly easy.

So, my perfect shot and hand cannon came today and I've given them both a whirl. And I have to say the Perfect Shot is better in every way for me. The Hand Cannon is too big and heavy in comparison, holding your arm our for a full level? Hard work, and not in a fun way.

As an addition, I don't think I'm quite 10 feet away but the callibration is not even close to perfect, maybe I need to bit a little further away (impossible in my room) but it's difficult. Thing is, for this, I think the Zapper is actually better. I played the whole game and DC in co-op using the Zapper and no reticule and had no problems (callibration didn't matter, I just sort of knew where to aim). But with the pistols, because they're smaller and WANT to aim, but this doesn't work.....hmmm......I've only played a level with each gun so I'll see with more play time; but anyone undecided, the Perfect Shot gets my vote. Great little gun!

It was a pretty average game. High speed point and click...

I think I would have enjoyed it more but after Left4Dead this was tame and stupidly easy.

I think you've completely missed the point of the game. Its a light gun game, and while you could argue its a point and click- since you do point and click- thats like arguing Metroid or Call of Duty have point and click elements simply because you 'point and click'. Is it too much to ask to consider on-rails shooters as a genre in their own right?

Interesting that you've compare it to left4dead. Something like Overkill is point-centric- probably having more in common with Tetris than Left4Dead, and thats where the challenge and replay value lie. Some gamers will relish that point driven gameplay, others will not. Just because two games have zombies in, doesn't mean they can be compared.

So for HotD: Zapper > Perfect Shot > Hand Cannon?

hmm... may get a Zapper at some point then!

Hmm, I don't know about that. I found the zapper easier, but if you can actually get perfect calibration, want more "fun" from pistol shooting (it is more fun) or not bothered about not turning off the reticule then the PS is better. But for no reticule play, I found the Zapper to be the most effective.

I may get used to it, but like I said before the pistol design naturally makes you aim by sight, which doesn't quite work. The zapper works on your 'sense' of position, which is much more accurate.

I think you've completely missed the point of the game. Its a light gun game, and while you could argue its a point and click- since you do point and click- thats like arguing Metroid or Call of Duty have point and click elements simply because you 'point and click'. Is it too much to ask to consider on-rails shooters as a genre in their own right?

Interesting that you've compare it to left4dead. Something like Overkill is point-centric- probably having more in common with Tetris than Left4Dead, and thats where the challenge and replay value lie. Some gamers will relish that point driven gameplay, others will not. Just because two games have zombies in, doesn't mean they can be compared.

Yeah except in Call of Duty and Metroid you have vastly more control thus giving it a completely different level of depth. You could argue Call of Duty was like a point and click, but you'd be dumb to (less so in Metroid's case, possibly).

Overkill would have been good in an arcade where I was under monetary pressure. They don't work at home.

Obviously Left4Dead is a completely different game, but when it comes to games with zombies in it it is unrivalled and so preferable. My comparison was at that very basic level, more a flippant comment. I do find it funny that the Wii, tooted to inspire new forms of play, often depend on, in this case a light gun game not a million miles away from the one I got with my NES, and high score boards...which is an incredibly tired way to include replayability.

The limitation of not being able to move really should have been taken advantage of. FPSs have to lead you down a path but light gun games do it all for you and Overkill was pretty unimaginative, and robotic, in it's path.

I'm not saying it is a bad game, it's just not amazing. The perfect rental. I'll be sending it back on Monday.

hey guys,

ive got a question for the people with an HDTV.

1. does the game look good on your set?

2. is it full widescreen (no 2cm black borders on the left & right)

3. does the game support 480p?

hey guys,

ive got a question for the people with an HDTV.

1. does the game look good on your set?

2. is it full widescreen (no 2cm black borders on the left & right)

3. does the game support 480p?

Yes, yes and yes.

Damn it, I want this game - as much as I hate rail shooters, the presentation makes in well worth it! Now all I need is my Wii at Uni...

I bought it yesterday, the bundle with the HC. The Handcannon is really awesome, love the look and the feel. It's quite large and can get heavy with prolonged use. But it's a whole lot better than just a Wiimote or the Zapper. I don't have a Perfect Shot, but I'd love two proper gunshells in the future.

I absolutely love this game, to me, it's even better than HotD2&3, but it may be because it's fresh and new to me. The presentation is really topnotch and the soundtrack is great as well. First must-have of the year for Wii!

hey is it true that this game is one of the best looking wii games (sharpness, not to much jaggies and high texture resolution)? (on HDTV's)

hey is it true that this game is one of the best looking wii games (sharpness, not to much jaggies and high texture resolution)? (on HDTV's)
Don't spam, you just posted this ^.

Read the replies, yes it looks good!

You can tell how good it is by reading the thread and watching some videos!

Am I missing something?

How to do change default controls?

On page 8 of manual it says 'Note: These are default controls. They can also be changed in the settings menu for Wii Zapper functionality(see"Settings").'

Now ive looked, but cannot see anything within option settings menus to change the control method.

Was this a missprint on Sega's part or am I not looking the right place?

Am I missing something?

How to do change default controls?

On page 8 of manual it says 'Note: These are default controls. They can also be changed in the settings menu for Wii Zapper functionality(see"Settings").'

Now ive looked, but cannot see anything within option settings menus to change the control method.

Was this a missprint on Sega's part or am I not looking the right place?

Not sure (haven't tried it yet), but I assume it's a simple case of plugging the nunchuck in.

I'm sure Dante's going to post the chart soon, but on this week's, Overkill moved up to 9 on the Individual Formats Chart, stayed at 15 on the All Formats and stayed at 3 on the Wii specific chart. I think I speak for many Wii gamers when I say that is something of a big relief after all the pressure that's been placed on the "hardcore Wii games of 2009"

I'm sure Dante's going to post the chart soon, but on this week's, Overkill moved up to 9 on the Individual Formats Chart, stayed at 15 on the All Formats and stayed at 3 on the Wii specific chart. I think I speak for many Wii gamers when I say that is something of a big relief after all the pressure that's been placed on the "hardcore Wii games of 2009"

Brilliant. Unfortunately, I think MadWorld is being released way too closely to Resident Evil 5 to make this much of an impact.