NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The-chosen-one

Overlord: Dark Legend

what do you think about this game?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think about this game?

• Looks really good
    • Looks really bad
    • just not interested
    • i want to know more about this game first

Only recently discovered the 360 version and despite some issues I really enjoyed it , still need to finish of the Raising Hell DLC though.

Good to see that this is possibly coming along nicely (will await some more previews) and it's quite likely to be my next Wii purchase.

Only potential issue is the expected release date being so close to that being proposed for Overlord 2 , so I may end up having an Overlord overload.

Not sure whether I am going to pick this up as I keep reading that it is too short and has been dumbed down (the Wii plague :)) but at that price it may be too hard to resist.

EDIT (26/06) - Ended up picking this up this morning (as well as Overlord 2) as I had a few bits and pieces I wanted to trade in. Haven't had a chance to play either of them yet, but will try to post some observations when I have some time with it.

Edited by ThePigMarcher

*wall of text alert :p*

I have now spent some time with this and am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Firstly, it definitely is Overlord-lite but that could act as a positive if you are unfamiliar with the series. If you do fall into that camp then I feel that this game really works as an introduction (it is a prequel after all), although fans of the previous game may still get some enjoyment from it.

The other thing that immediately strikes you is that this is a very good looking game, with nice character designs, beautiful environments, well done cut-scenes and clean menus. It's a shame that it is let down a little by the fact that there are clearly some framerate issues in some areas.

It has managed to maintain the humour that the series is known for although it does feel as though it has been reigned in a little, it's still pretty good though and the mischievous minions may well have you chuckling a few times.

Controls on the whole are done well and I would probably struggle less if I wasn't switching between this and the 360 sequel. Pointing to target and sweeping minions is effective enough and doesn't seem laggy. There are a few camera issues although once you get used to things it isn't too bad.

The lack of buttons on the Wiimote means that switching minion types and spells is left to the d-pad mostly and this can be a little cumbersome but I don't see how Activision/Climax could have done it differently (other than some sort of on-screen menu with IR input). The biggest problem so far has been my failure to make effective use of the continuous magic, one-off spells are fine, but perhaps I am missing something somewhere.

One thing that I haven't run into yet is some of the pathfinding issues that did plague the 360 original. Maybe it has just been luck (or the fact that your max army is smaller) but I don't remember seeing any minions getting left behind or stuck and that small improvement deserves a mention.

The story so far has been pretty good with references to a few fairytale characters , ie, Little Red Riding Hood , Tooth Fairy etc. How much further it can move on remains to be seen, especially as this looks to be short, but I am enjoying it so far.

Regarding the Overlord-lite statement, money is too easily available so you won't have any trouble powering up your armour, weapons or minions. Lifeforce collection is now incorporated as one, so it removes a little of the strategy required if you want a particular minion type. Should you die during a boss battle (I have once), then you restart with the boss's health as it was when you died a la Bioshocks' Big Daddies, except the bosses aren't tough so it really isn't needed in this game, despite my one failing :p.

It definitely looks like it is going to be a short game. I have only put in around 3 and half hours and have already discovered three of the minion types and uncovered just over half the map area. There will be some back-tracking due to discovering new minions but as the areas are so small, it still won't take long to return to those areas to get the missed items. If you are new to the series, then I suppose it may take a little more time, but even then, you won't feel overwhelmed or lost at any point, like you may do in the other consoles versions.

With all that being said, I am really enjoying it and as the game is available cheap I do feel that it is a worth a try. Just don't try to take on Overlord 2 at the same time, because the step up is causing me a few problems in that one.

Edited by ThePigMarcher

hey guys,

ive got 2 questions.

1. Does the game fill the screen completely (no underscan), because of burnins on my plasma tv.

2. Is the game playable in 480p?, because my tv is sucky for upscaling 480i/576i signals.

Wow, the reviewers weren't kidding when they said this was short.

Lucky if I managed to get 7 hours out of this, another example of developers giving Wii owners the big time shaft.

Save your money people and rent instead.

*returns to Overlord 2 to get some sort of longevity*

Got this through in my consignment of review titles so will give it a play sometime later in the week. Kinda looking forward to it as I've never played the Overlord titles and even if it is short, that's good for me because I have Another Code: R on the go at the moment as well.

Wow, the reviewers weren't kidding when they said this was short.

Lucky if I managed to get 7 hours out of this, another example of developers giving Wii owners the big time shaft.

Save your money people and rent instead.

*returns to Overlord 2 to get some sort of longevity*

UGH, you know this was going to be the first Wii game I bought since the fall of last year. Why must they keep taunting me :cry:

I've played this for a good couple of hours, and it's giving me mixed feelings. On the one hand I quite like the story and the creative direction... But it feels very, very linear. There's not much room for exploration, as you're basically confined to walking down paths in a straight line. The camera is very dodgy and the frame rate seems to go to pot whenever I move.

Other things I like are the little cutscenes that you can activate by stepping into yellow circles. One of your minions usually does a cool routine, such as scaling a windmill or skiing down a rope, jumping off and doing a flying death kick into a ninja's face, and you get a chest of treasure at the end. Your minions can also pick up accessories such as hats and swords, which is a nice touch.

The voiceacting is wonderfully over-the-top, but your minions have a knack for repeating lines too many times. That's the only complaint on that front.

I'll report back when I've played more, but for now...

"Fear my pumpkins... FEAR THEM!"

UGH, you know this was going to be the first Wii game I bought since the fall of last year. Why must they keep taunting me :cry:

Out of curiosity, why this?...

I love strategy games and humor, much like anybody else interested in the game I suppose.

Started this yesterday and it's alright. Nothing special. Feels rather lethargic but having not played the original Overlord game, I don't have anything to compare it to. The lighting and character models are good though, although there are a few downsides to the graphics where they could have improved things beyond what they are. But as a first try at bringing the franchise to the Wii, it's not a bad effort.

I love strategy games and humor

Then why haven't you bought Little Kings story???

Then why haven't you bought Little Kings story???

It looks cutesy rather than humourous?

It is cutesy but there is also plenty of humour in it. Also has longevity which this game lacks, it really is worth a look and has been the highlight of the Wii so far this year.

I may be biased though :p.

Comments like this make me feel very, very sad. :(

Sign in to follow this