NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Zelda Remakes... Please

Remember back in the GC days when we were praying for a full remake of OOT? Well, that didn't exactly happen; we got a slightly 'remastered' Master Quest. But I woke up this morning listening to some Majora's Mask music, and really felt the urge to play a remade N64 Zelda for the Wii.

Is this something you are interested in? An OOT in TP style will just reduce a grown man to tears at the very start. Also imagine the Wii-remote arrow precision for games like that Gerudo Fortress horse-riding archery... With buffed up graphics everything will be so much more atmospheric - like those underground caves. There also could be a chance to add a more deeper Sheikah story.

But I know I'm only dreaming... :(

Is this something you are interested in?

Quite simply, no. OoT is my favourite game of all time, one that marked my life forever, but it had its time and place. I want new games.

You see, I think it should be left alone. Well alone. I'm not against remakes (how about RE1 just one more time) but OoT...it's like a vase. Beautiful ain't it, but don't touch it because if you break it you'll be next.

Ocarina of Time was essentially LTTP (with some story changes, obviously) retold in 3D in some peoples eyes.

As much as i'd love to see a high def next gen remake of the Wind Waker (maybe on Wii 2!), i'd prefer to see what Nintendo will do next with the franchise.

TP felt almost like a remake of OoT, at least in terms of style and story. Fan service all the way... Now I want something new, something original.

Not really. Mainly because every single new Zelda is designed with it's particular items and gameplay elements in mind.

If OoT was to be remade, the same map would be there, the same items and gameplay items would be there... And the only things new would be the improved graphics (which IMO aren't needed), the MQ option, and a few remixed songs.

Maybe a new major sidequest or two, but there's really no reason to do it. The game is already perfect as it is.

There's no reason to remake the 3D games - the only alteration would be a graphical improvement, and the Wii just isn't powerful enough for that to be something impressive. One Zelda game that could possibly justify a remake would be Link's Awakening, but I'd be anxious about it 'cos they could so easily screw it up. I think it'd have to have quite a minimalistic art style, possibly with a slightly faded look with a pale colour palette to emphasise the whole theme of dreaming. Also fitting with that theme it could take the bold step of having no HUD (a la ICO) but admittedly that'd be hard to implement given how often Zelda games involve switching items. I think the game would have to be darker than most of the series, in the vein of Majora's Mask - seeming how Link is completely unfamiliar with Koholint island a sparse, mellow soundtrack could emphasise the feeling of loneliness and isolation. With the transition to 3D I wouldn't expect a complete recreation of the 2D world - but as long as it was mostly faithful to the basic layout and structure of the original then that'd be cool.

Given Nintendo's current direction they'd never consider making a dark, atmospheric Zelda game - let alone it being a remake of a 15 year old Gameboy game - but I can dream anyway.

Not really. I've beaten Majora's Mask already, no need to do it again.

Can't possibly see where'd they improve it. Better graphics and orchestrated music can only do so much.

I wouldn't say no to a Link's Awakening remake, but other than that... I must say that I'm not that fond of remakes.

Im in the 'I want new games' camp, but i dont think any game is too sacred to be remade. Now isnt the time though.

Don't see how OOT would benefit at all from a remake, really.

I would like MM on VC though, as I'm yet to play it.

I'm not sure if I would or not want one. I bet if they did release one everyone who's posted here would probably buy it anyway. I think I'd rather have a new game that takes place in the same hyrule as OoT but with some new areas. And I don't mean the way it was in TP. Everything (map wise) was changed even in the GCN version of TP.

I've played through Ocarina around 5 times, and will probably do so again in the future, but I'd much rather see new games also.

I'd rather see a DVD documentary or 'Making of' book about Ocarina of Time and it's legacy, if they were planning on doing something to celebrate it's 10th anniversary.

Good point Emasher ^

Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker weren't completely finished games, I'd like to see some 100% complete games, like Miyamoto/Aonuma envisioned them to be. There's a really small chance that will happen though, certainly not anytime soon.

Maybe when they are going to port The Wind Waker to the DS2 we might see something like that happening.

Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker weren't completely finished games, I'd like to see some 100% complete games, like Miyamoto/Aonuma envisioned them to be. There's a really small chance that will happen though, certainly not anytime soon.
They were, complete, just not fully realized as first envisioned. But thing is... they can't be.

Such stuff... ends up being used in other games though. The skulltulla houses in Majora Mask, were cutted from OoT. So yeah, I don't see a point in putting them there anymore. Among with other things that wouldn't be more than mere curiosities.

Of course then there's the stuff that wasn't realized in OoT due to space constraints and time constraints that are missing (for example the ice cavern was supposed to be a dungeon like the goron one were you released zoras and repopulate zora domain) and those could be revised.

All this said... I wouldn't mind a OoT remake, but not a remake taking loads of years... I mean, the N64 engine did stuff like, when link is farther away putting in a more simplified character model and other kinds of stuff on top of having no S3TC compression... in the highest setting of compression and if OoT was only textures... it would have gone from 32 MB to 8 MB... so how about a retexture with enhanced polygonal models at place? under 40 MB for Wiiware?

Hell, they can do textures like Wind Waker in order to use up less RAM, add more geometric detail everywhere they can (and apply cell shading, oh yes)... but essentially go and upgrade the N64 version, not a remake but a enhanced port.

That's the only way I'd be okay with it. But it'll never happen.

They were, complete, just not fully realized as first envisioned.
Yeah, well, that's just the way you name it. Maybe OoT was a bad example, but the Wind Waker could use more dungeons.

I don't think it's very Nintendo-like to admit their own mistakes like that, mind.

Nintendo has made re-makes over the years though. And essentially what they are is a game that has been improved and had its mistakes fixed. So it is possible that we will see a OoT re-make. It is regarded as one of Nintendo's best games.

3D remakes of the 2D games- especially Links Awakening- would be pretty great. It would difficult to see how it would work though unless they expanded sections of the games, cos I'm sure these old games would feel a bit lite if played out in epic 3D. Hows about bringing Links Awakening, the Oracle games, etc to DS in cel shading a la Phantom Hourglass.

On the whole, we need new games and new Zeldas.

Would people please stop asking for remakes of Zelda games that are readily available to play on current systems. Original games only, please.

Remaking games is the trick squenix uses to get people to pay full whack for DS games that could easily be made available on VC.

Yeah, well, that's just the way you name it. Maybe OoT was a bad example, but the Wind Waker could use more dungeons.

I don't think it's very Nintendo-like to admit their own mistakes like that, mind.

Exactly. Like a Directors Cut version.

OOT = Unfrozen Zora's Domain, more Sheikah explanation.

MM = Maybe add 2 more giants?, Fierce Deity expansion.

WW = More explorable Ancient Hyrule.

But a re-make is different from porting something to the VC. A re-make adds new things and makes the game more appealing to the new generation of gamers. Alot of younger people and new gamers don't want to play old games because they look old. Pokemon Red and Blue/Green were re-made for the GBA into Fire Red and Leaf Green. That was to interest a new generation of gamers mostly.

I'd buy any Zelda remakes and would really like to see them, as long as they don't take away resources from future Zelda games.

Gaming is a technology-driven business, and a generational leap in horsepower can work wonders for games.

Remaking games is the trick squenix uses to get people to pay full whack for DS games that could easily be made available on VC.

I concur but remakes are a decent way to attract a newer generation to an old classic.

In Square-Enix's case, i dont see why they cant do both (remakes AND releasing original code on VC, PSN, etc...)

I concur but remakes are a decent way to attract a newer generation to an old classic.

In Square-Enix's case, i dont see why they cant do both (remakes AND releasing original code on VC, PSN, etc...)

Because they're asking for more money for the remake, infact, they're asking full price.

Virtual Console would defeat their purpose, and be less lucrative.