NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Maase

No more plans by Nintendo for Nintendo Wii

Even though this was made along with Wii Sports/Play/Fit? It doesn't really show this was a 'dry' idea.

Anyway, my comment about you during E3 remains intact.

but it's like they WANT us to hate this game.. they are going out of their way this time.

my thought is: be paitent, and dont expect anything this year.

Yeah, I would echo this. Be patient. It sounds stupid but we need to chill out and be patient. There actually are decent games already out and there are some good third party games on the way too. Its disappointing that there doesn't seem to be something like Mario Galaxy coming out this year, but be positive and play other stuff. We can make it.

First play it before you judge. I think it looks awesome to be honest. Just because it's casual doesn't mean it's bad.

Why would we want that if we can buy a PS3 instead? I didn't buy a Wii for MGS and I certainly didn't buy it for realistic racers.

I just said that the controlls seem cheap AT THIS POINT, and that I find it UNLIKELY that they'll make it good before release. That it's casual doesen't mean it's bad, I think it's awsome to be able to play games with all your buddies, BUT it's a game that's been hyped since the Wii's launch and still it doesent seem all that impressive.

I can say that neither I bought the Wii for MGS or realistic racers. I bought it to fulfill all my gaming needs this generation. Nintendo have been good to fulfill my needs for adventures, platformers, extreme sports and party games for the previous generations. The N64 was the no 1 console for first person shooters back in the day, but since GT came out, Nintendo fans have been crying for a GT-beater.

During the N64-days it was excusable, because a cartridge could impossibly contain 150 cars, and in the GC-era you could say the same: a 1,5 gig disk could not contain 600 well detailed cars, plus that Nintendo had some financial problems. But now with the Wii we have DVD's, flash memory, and soon maybe a sollution that enables us to get even more space, plus that Nintendo are so filthy rich that if they'd want, they'd be able to buy the licenses for all cars in existance (present and past), and offer them for download. There really is no excuse.

This generation, Nintendo have been quite bad at fulfilling my needs. I've made a list on all the franchises that Nintendo should bring to the Wii, and let's not forget that Nintendo should have a few surprises up their sleeves as well. What we have now is Zelda:TP, Metroid, Mario, Paper Mario, Smash Bros and Mariokart. That's a lot of Mario.

@ Phube

Those might not be new ideas, but they're all new games for the Wii that Nintendo basically MUST do. It's games that the core is anticipating.

Once again, does anyone actually think every Nintendo first and second party studio is currently developing a casual game?

Nintendo should do this, Nintendo should do that.

That fact is, and it pains me to say it, Nintendo are doing jack shit for the core market. They're not providing any information on core titles, despite fans and journalists criticism. It seems Nintendo are just not motivated to create core titles.

Now, don't get me wrong, i'm happy for casual titles to be produced, but Nintendo need to have a presence in the core market, and they're simply lacking that. Nintendo have generally had at least major core titles over the Christmas period- last year, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime and (in some territories) Brawl, the year before, Zelda and ExciteTruck. This year? Animal Crossing, one of Nintendo's casual offerings (but one, admittedly, embraced by the core audience).

Rightit's about time I stated my views on this ignoring the casual thing..

In my opinion opinion I really think nintendo are making as much games as they ever did on the gamecube.. But what happened to capcom making a game for nintendo, or namco?,or square, or sega?

this hasnt happened yet and as a result it feels empty..

the games nintendo HAVE released are some of the best in each series though like super mario galaxy and so forth.

I think maybe one of our problems is that nintendo feels they might not NEED to work with third parties anymore well at least to make their own games.. which is strange.

I think what's going on right now is, all the major games development cycles lined up and so they ended up being released at the same time, now, because of that, it seems there are no major games coming out.

I think what's going on right now is, all the major games development cycles lined up and so they ended up being released at the same time, now, because of that, it seems there are no major games coming out.

I agree with u there, this is sort of an endless circle discussion. If nintendo took go more into hardcore games it will please all us gamers who prefer more of a challenge but not make them much profit, then if the make more casual games they will make large amounts of profit but will annoy alot of hardcore nintendo gamers.

I just said that the controlls seem cheap AT THIS POINT, and that I find it UNLIKELY that they'll make it good before release. That it's casual doesen't mean it's bad, I think it's awsome to be able to play games with all your buddies, BUT it's a game that's been hyped since the Wii's launch and still it doesent seem all that impressive.

Here's your (and most people) mistake. It's not a game per se, t's experimental software.

Miyamoto presented some new ideas when the idea for Wii came up. These ideas are over, big woop, do you think the designers have been surfing on the bahamas and sipping mojitos ever since?

Me and Emasher already posted the huge number of teams that are still working secretly, these teams are the ones that handle the "core" games and as usual, they take their sweet time. Is it that much of a pressing matter? Also, is it that unusual? Nintendo has been increasing their development flow enormously, years ago we had to wait God knows how long for a decent game to come out. With Wii and DS I can't even keep up with the releases. Of course that's because I don't see a list of good and fun games and do a checklist saying "GC port, waggle-fest, no achievements, no online, needs moar vehicles, casual, mini game fest", because I honestly don't care. But that's me. If that's not the case for other people, that's what other consoles exist for.

The core market doesn't need anything to be done for them, we've been the centre of attention since... forever and most companies are focused for on it, there isn't any kind of core games drought. Nintendo doesn't need to do "jack shit" for the core market, they've done a huge deal for it since they exist and they (and not just them) expanded it. They still release your core games, which you of course choose to ignore, because oh noes, we don't have a big list of 1st party AAA games for the rest of the year (sshhh we can't talk about the ones they already released).

These hardcore gamers that are always crying that Nintendo has abandoned the core or whatever are the gamers that not long ago were saying "I play GC/N64, because I value gameplay, fun and originality over graphics", the ones that played the mini games when they appeared, because at the time they were quirky and fun, the ones that shrugged off the fools that started playing their gaystationz cause of football, tits and guns. Tables have turned.

I also bet these are the ones that don't buy games like Boom Blox, because it's a full price puzzle game, Wario because it's 2D and should be WiiWare and then don't buy WiiWare games because they just can't stand transfering a game to an SD card. And this is the only thing that kinda gets to me. If people think this or that I don't care, but touting to be the white knights of gaming and then not buying the kind of games they always whine for, it's exactly like the folks at NeoGAF say. You're part of the problem.

I'm obviously not talking to anyone in particular, hell if I know what you buy or don't buy.

^ Amen to that. Now only if that would stop threads like these from sprouting out of internet soil.

Erm... This thread is a News Thread, it isn't to talk bad of Nintendo ;)

It wasn't so much as a reply to your post as it was to your attitude. It seems like you can't/won't comprehend the brilliance of simplicity. Wii Music, like Wii Sports, is a game meant to excel through simplicity. I don't see any reason why it would be any less fun than Wii Sports.

If you really want a realistic racing game so bad, you're really better off buying a 360 - the WiiMote (without MotionPlus) probably won't cut it in terms of accuracy, and the 360 already has top notch racing titles, impressive visuals and better online. The Wii isn't the console for realistic racers, and probably won't get any either.

It wasn't so much as a reply to your post as it was to your attitude. It seems like you can't/won't comprehend the brilliance of simplicity. Wii Music, like Wii Sports, is a game meant to excel through simplicity. I don't see any reason why it would be any less fun than Wii Sports.

When some american company released a cake mix that all you needed to do was add water, stir and put it in the oven, it didn't sell very well, Why, because people wanted to have to do something to get that cake, they didn't feel like it was their cake, rather the companies that made the mix. So the company made another mix, that required you to add the milk and eggs and it sold very well. Understand what I'm getting at here?

Most people can actually make cake. Most people can't actually play multiple instruments.

Baking a cake isn't hard. Learning to play an instrument is hard. Just like learning to play proper tennis. That's the whole point, just give some fun stuff to do for people who want to jam around without much effort.

Emasher, are you actually arguing that games featuring people pretending to play musical instruments aren't going to sell well?

Guitar Hero says hi.

No, I don't mean Its not going to sell well by that. I mean its not going to be that good. Guitar Hero is more like the cake mix that required the milk and the eggs. It requires you to press the buttons at the right time. Cooking is hard for some people. I don't know what its like in the UK, but in the states alot of people cannot cook at all. Thats why americans eat out so often and why they have an obesity problem. But there are those who can cook just like there are those who can play an instrument, in-fact, there are lots of people who play instruments. In-fact, half my school is in band and half of the people in band play multiple instruments. And I have acknowledged that Wii music does have a point. Its for younger children to get interested in music. But I just can't see anyone besides a child playing it more than once or twice (parents playing with their children doesn't count).

Obviously you don't know what this game is about. There's actually a mode where you learn to play the drums in Wii Music because it's too hard.

In the E3 presentation there were some obvious screwups too. This game isn't completely automatic.

The learn to play drums thing is a different mode though. And you require the balance board to do it.

But its way too automatic. Obviously you don't play an instrument, the fun in playing an instrument is in the actual practicing hard and being able to not screw up even though it is very easy to screw up. Games like guitar hero capture this. Wii music does not. I can see it being a great game for small children to learn about instruments, but I cannot see anyone else being able to have enough fun with this game to warrant playing it more than a few times.

The fact that they screwed up in the presentation while they obviously practiced their little show beforehand, shows that it isn't "too automatic".

It's not going to be a hard game, but the game needs a level of challenge to be fun. I don't think someone like Shigeru Miyamoto will have missed that detail, small as the challenge may be.

We'll see about that when the game comes out. I think Shigeru Miyamoto actually said there was no way to screw up in the game though.

If you really want a realistic racing game so bad, you're really better off buying a 360 - the WiiMote (without MotionPlus) probably won't cut it in terms of accuracy, and the 360 already has top notch racing titles, impressive visuals and better online. The Wii isn't the console for realistic racers, and probably won't get any either.

There is nothing wrong with simplicity. But the Wii has too much of it. There are few exclusive core games, but we're getting so many minigame compilations and wagglefests that we're drowning in them. A lot of people here seem to be so blinded by Nintendos past brilliance that they've forgotten the delicate flavour of a deep, rewarding and complex game.

Nintendo claim they want to create something different for their players. Well, a Gran Turismo beater has never even been attempted on a Nintendo format, and Nintendo fans have been asking for it for like two console gens. It's basically a no-brainer if they should or shouldn't attempt.

And like I said before, I bought the Wii to fulfill all my gaming urges this generation. The Wiimote is actually the second best racing controller after a real wheel IMO. I had much better control in NFS:Carbon on the Wii than I had in NFS: Most Wanted for the GC.

The impression I got the first time they unvealed Wii Music at tgs or wtvr and the one I still have is that Wii Music is just about the tempo of the songs and a fun multiplayer experience, that's pretty much it.

darkjak, a GT beater? GT is a freaking gargantuan investement, tackling it would be a huge risk and not a smart business move. Nintendo doesn't have any team specialized in car sims like polyphony digitals. If any 3rd party wants to do it, go ahead, that's their call. It would indeed be a no brainer, since only if they didn't have brains they would invest millions into a game that probably won't sell when they have their core audience waiting for the usual Nintendo titles, the new expanded titles they also need to take care for and 3rd parties increasing their support.

You're really very keen on saying everything is a waggle fest and honestly, anyone who has a "wide" gaming appetite and thinks one console will satisfy all its urges, is painfully mistaken.

People are blinded by Nintendo's past brilliance and "forgotten the delicate flavour of a deep, rewarding and complex game."? That's not pretentious at all.

darkjak, a GT beater? GT is a freaking gargantuan investement, tackling it would be a huge risk and not a smart business move. Nintendo doesn't have any team specialized in car sims like polyphony digitals. If any 3rd party wants to do it, go ahead, that's their call. It would indeed be a no brainer, since only if they didn't have brains they would invest millions into a game that probably won't sell when they have their core audience waiting for the usual Nintendo titles, the new expanded titles they also need to take care for and 3rd parties increasing their support.

You're really very keen on saying everything is a waggle fest and honestly, anyone who has a "wide" gaming appetite and thinks one console will satisfy all its urges, is painfully mistaken.

People are blinded by Nintendo's past brilliance and "forgotten the delicate flavour of a deep, rewarding and complex game."? That's not pretentious at all.

GT isn't really a gargantuan investment nowadays. Many car companies pay the developers so that their cars will be included, while others quite simply give the licences for free. Only the supercar manufacturers take money nowadays. And may I remind you that when the first GT was released for the Playstation by Polyphony (then called Polys), Polyphony had only developed TWO games before: Motor Toon GP and (yes, you guessed it) Motor Toon GP 2. Also, Microsoft hadn't really done anything like it when they released Forza (Errr, yeah, midtown madness was a realistic racer with tons of cars... to the same extent as F-Zero). Even Sega, with their failing economy succeeded in releasing Sega GT, and after the demise of the Dreamcast, they released TWO sequels for the XB and PS2.

This game would sell, because like I've said, Nintendo fans have been urging for a game like that since the N64 era. Nintendo are the market leaders, and considering their console is doing so well, there should be an audience for it, and also it would, just like the original GT, be a bigtime unit shifter. You're talking about million dollar games, but to be honest, most good games already cost over a milion to develop. ESPECIALLY on the worse-selling next gen graphics consoles.

It would be the ultimate business decision, because it would result in Nintendo not only getting their fans and the casuals, but also the mainstream (aka the cool kids). Which would mean that by PS5 Sony would be thinking of leaving the game industry and dito with MS.

Expecting a console to give you something out of every genre is not unreasonable, at least not when we're talking about the market leader. If the Wii would be Nintendo's last dying breath in the console market, like Sega's Dreamcast, or what at the time was thought of by some about the Gamecube, then that would be fully understandable.

I haven't said that everything is a wagglefest, but while the other formats gorge into AAA titles, we get next to nothing. We get ports of games that have been out for the other formats for ages (Table Tennis, Dead Rising), and tons of minigame compilations... from which the profit goes to AAA titles for OTHER formats. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't miss Zelda, Metroid or Mario for the world, but there has to be something more. Would it be hard to answer the screams that Nintendo have been getting for a decade?

Srr guys, but as I stated before, this is turning into another "Has Nintendo lost it?"- thread

Sign in to follow this