NEurope
Dog-amoto

Most overrated songs

Pretty much all of them.

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! is underrated IMO.

I just love the "Hung Up" riff (is that the right word?) at the start. And how the first line feels so impromptu, like the song isn't ready to start yet.

SOS is awesome aswell. And Lay All Your Love On Me.

*Hands Nightwolf a copy of Abba Gold*

Please listen to that, and tell me which song is overrated.

They've had about 20 singles, 10 of them iconic songs in themselves. They do pop so well. I challenge you to name a better pop act.

They may be cliche, because they are so well known, and they've got so much hype because of Mamma Mia etc. but they are more than deserving of it.

They are played so much that's why I feel they are overrated. I'm sick of listening to abba just as much as I'm sick of listening to robbie william's angel song as I put earlier in the thread.

Why do I always feel like a school kid when somebody picks a quote from me :shakehead

Anything by McFly and Amy Winehouse, I'm sorry but how the f**k can anyone listen to McFly and say it's good! It's the biggest load of crap going! It's been done before by bands such as Busted.

Amy Winehouse, in my opinion, doesn't have a good voice. She sounds like a cat squealing in pain. If that's supposed to be a great singer, then anyone can make it into the music career without trying.

Phew! Glad I got that outta my system.

Anything by McFly and Amy Winehouse, I'm sorry but how the f**k can anyone listen to McFly and say it's good! It's the biggest load of crap going! It's been done before by bands such as Busted.

Amy Winehouse, in my opinion, doesn't have a good voice. She sounds like a cat squealing in pain. If that's supposed to be a great singer, then anyone can make it into the music career without trying.

Phew! Glad I got that outta my system.

Amy Winehouse has a good voice, but something about her last album is off, and the fact her live voice is (generally, she was great when I saw her) squawky isn't a good indicator of the voice she has on her first (better) album.

Oh, and Busted >>>> McFly. :) But almost anything > Busted.

----

And sorry, ABBA make fucking great pop music. There's no denying that.

Lol...seriously, you have no idea what being totally unique musically and being successful at it are, do you?

Shit? Right.

You have no idea what you're talking about really. I mean, most people can at least respect her for what she does, since, you kinda have to. Don't have to like her. But stupid comments like that just...kinda piss me off.

Enter Shikari, Exit taste/credibility, it seems. :indeed:

Have I hit a nerve? Or your balls?

Many people and I don't like Bjork. Learn to accept it. Making "stupid comments that just...kinda piss you off" is just part of the whole disliking of music. It's just like when people say Radiohead are "depressing".

Plus, people don't, and won't, respect somebody's work if they really dislike it. It's all part of music. Surely you should know that already.

Just because you hate a band/artist but a lot of people like them, you don't have to respect their work. Nobody here who doesn't like Bjork respects her music, and it looks as if they never will.

As for the "retort" about Enter Shikari: You decide to mock me for that? Who are you? The Bard? Oxigen?

I may like ES, but I don't exactly love them. Not like I do with Radiohead/Foos/Jeff Buckley. Not even close.

ES are a band I would class as "Bit-on-the-side", I may indulge myself within from time to time, but I'll always go back to the bands I like more than them, aka the bands you truly love.

Try harder next time, alright?

And I have to do this:

Exit taste/credibility, it seems. :indeed:

See now I do agree with you, as a pop group they sold millions and made good songs. But again I'm sick of hearing them and that's why I thought they were overrated. Originally I thought they were good, but it's like hearing the ymca all the time at the local disco. If you get my point?

Amy whinehouse to me used to be amazing, but with the drugs and the live singing, well to me it's the same way as britney spears. :(

I always feel compelled to defend Winehouse on here. As an artist, I think she's amazing. As a person, she's a trainwreck. Depends how willing you are to divorce her album from the tabloid exposure. Personally, I think Back To Black is fantastic.

People seem to confuse overrated with overplayed I think... which isn't exactly the same, at least not always.

I'd give you some examples but right now I can't think of any songs I think are overrated.

Abba are great though, their songs are just so catchy. Plus I don't hear them on the radio ever, so for me their songs are still as good as ever. =P

Villan, may I ask what exactly your problem is with Björk? Just interested, as you seem to hate her but haven't really given a reason I think.

People seem to confuse overrated with overplayed I think... which isn't exactly the same, at least not always.

I'd give you some examples but right now I can't think of any songs I think are overrated.

True but there comes a point where everybody gets excited by certain songs and you've heard them so much that to you they just aren't worth listening to anymore.

It makes more sense in my head, believe me. :heh:

Villan, may I ask what exactly your problem is with Björk? Just interested, as you seem to hate her but haven't really given a reason I think.

My reason is that I just really don't like her music at all, full stop. End of. But ol' Paj couldn't seem to handle that fact, telling me it was my loss et cetera... :indeed:

The "its been done before" (regarding anything) argument just doesn't fly in this media-saturated postmodern culture which we live in. Music has been around for thousands of years. Everything has been done before.

I like McFly. I know they're crap. As musicians and singers (although comparatively they're okay, better than your average drunkard on a karaoke night) but I like them because they make me smile. Because of their daftness and childishness of their earlier stuff. They make me smile. And if its crap than so be it. People watch Big Brother and thats utter tripe, but if it makes them happy so be it. We shouldn't look down upon other's happiness because we don't agree. If we did we'd like in a bitter miserable world.

(although they can sometimes come up with amusing lines, even if not the cleverest stuff like "There's no love left on Earth to save us, well I fell in love with Uranus", "lifes a bitch and so are you" and "pour yourself a coffee, put your clothes back on and tell me your name" still make me laugh).

And overrated songs...I'm going to say November Rain. It goes on for about 2 years. And Bohemian Rhapsody. The chorus is nice but the rest is dull as fuck.

(and Im aware I just defended McFly and then blasted 'classics' but its personal conjecture. Let's not get too elitist and quick to threats and angry words)

I've never heard anyone say that's a good song (Hallowed be thy Name).

Hello, nice to meet you

My reason is that I just really don't like her music at all, full stop. End of. But ol' Paj couldn't seem to handle that fact, telling me it was my loss et cetera... :indeed:

Well okay, I can understand that. But there's a difference between not liking certain music and hating the person who makes it. =P

I don't see why people are going batshit insane over that "I kissed a girl" song, and "that's not my name" by the Ting Tings.

And overrated songs...I'm going to say November Rain. It goes on for about 2 years.

Aah yes. Pissing November Rain. 9 minute piece of crap that wasn't cut down for airplay on television, so it bores you to death while you either flick through the other rock music channels in order to find a good song.

While I'm on that subject: Jesus of Suburbia. Why? Why? WHY?

Well okay, I can understand that. But there's a difference between not liking certain music and hating the person who makes it. =P

That may be, but it is quite common for both of those thoughts to be put together.

Take, for example, everybody's favourite: Westlife. Music = Wank. Members = Wankers.

I don't see why people are going batshit insane over that "I kissed a girl" song, and "that's not my name" by the Ting Tings.

The Kate Perry song (if that's her name) is wayyyy overplayed. I think I heard it about 5 times today. And the Ting Tings song gives me a headache.

Also Ashley, I agree with Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a good song, but way too many people treat it like it's the best thing ever...

Also Ashley, I agree with Bohemian Rhapsody. It's a good song, but way too many people treat it like it's the best thing ever...

It does have the best lead up ever to a good old headbanging session though.

Angels - robbie williams

Yes this is one dreary song, just what I thought when I read the topic of the thread.

Queen, The Beatles, Muse (minus their newest album), Coldplay (minus their newest album) and some ones I can't remember.

Muse and more so Coldplay get expections to the overating in your opinion and The Beatles and Queen don't? each to there own I guess.

Have I hit a nerve? Or your balls?

Many people and I don't like Bjork. Learn to accept it. Making "stupid comments that just...kinda piss you off" is just part of the whole disliking of music. It's just like when people say Radiohead are "depressing".

Plus, people don't, and won't, respect somebody's work if they really dislike it. It's all part of music. Surely you should know that already.

Just because you hate a band/artist but a lot of people like them, you don't have to respect their work. Nobody here who doesn't like Bjork respects her music, and it looks as if they never will.

As for the "retort" about Enter Shikari: You decide to mock me for that? Who are you? The Bard? Oxigen?

I may like ES, but I don't exactly love them. Not like I do with Radiohead/Foos/Jeff Buckley. Not even close.

ES are a band I would class as "Bit-on-the-side", I may indulge myself within from time to time, but I'll always go back to the bands I like more than them, aka the bands you truly love.

Try harder next time, alright?

And I have to do this:

Exit taste/credibility, it seems. :indeed:

To be fair to you, I just saw Enter Shikari on your last.fm, and it came into my head.

Seems it's only me that can respect the music someone makes without liking it, then. (If it's worth respect, that is...I dislike McFly and don't respect their music, since I don't find it interesting in any way. Whereas with Coldpay, I respect them, but mostly dislike them.)

And yeah, reading back, I am a Bjork zombie (sortof). But then she compels me to act. : peace:

EDIT: I think I was more concerned by the fact you called her music shit, really. That's all. That's lumping her in with Booty Luv and The Jonas Brothers.

Aah yes. Pissing November Rain. 9 minute piece of crap that wasn't cut down for airplay on television, so it bores you to death while you either flick through the other rock music channels in order to find a good song.

Just had to say could not agree less it is an excellent song, well imo of course.

Lol...seriously, you have no idea what being totally unique musically and being successful at it are, do you?

Shit? Right.

You have no idea what you're talking about really. I mean, most people can at least respect her for what she does, since, you kinda have to. Don't have to like her. But stupid comments like that just...kinda piss me off.

Enter Shikari, Exit taste/credibility, it seems. :indeed:

Enter Shikari are awesome! You just dont get it thats all.

Enter Shikari are awesome! You just dont get it thats all.

Isn't that true for every artists/band a person loves that others don't, though? Or at least those that a different from the norm.

I don't actually have that much against Enter Shikari. I'm just not a fan. I don't like that typical "annoying growl-quite whiny" voice combo.

I'm shocked at people saying Muse are overrated. Only listened to the more popular tunes of theirs then? And they are one of VERY few bands who can live up to expectations with their live performances. In fact, I would say I actually PREFER their live performances..

But then I do have Muse in my sig and avatar, maybe i'm just a little bit biased..

Anyways, Anything by Panic at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, My Chemmical Rommance, Midina Lake (who I had the miss pleasure to here though a music channel) basicly all all the kiddie 'emo' guitar music that is mainstream rock now.

I was genuinely bored when I saw Muse live the other year at the Isle Of Wight festival. But then I don't really like most Muse songs and find them on the whole to be full of unnecessary guitar wankery.

I just found them so sterile live they didn't interact with the crowd at all and every song sounded exactly like it did on the CD. I much prefer some improv live and getting the crowd to join in etc. However, Muse I can at least appreciate why people like them they just aren't for me.