NEurope
darkjak

360 Quality

I'm on my 2nd 360 as my first one which i bought December 06 literately melted on the inside and caught fire. So i bought an Elite for a discount as M/S couldn't fix it. Had it since Feb 08 and all is well. So i think i have been lucky in a way.

It's not louder, it makes this weird sound.

Like this:

You can easily ignore the 360, but not that.

You should have that looked at, as there most definetly is something wrong with your Wii.

I've hear of the 360 going hot, but burning? I know that the Dreamcast had a risk of setting fire, for which reason Sega put in a thermostat or something, that shut the console off upon reaching a certain temperature to prevent fire/system damage. Surprising that the wealthiest company on earth was too cheap to invest in something like that. But I remember my N64 melting 2 power adapters back in the day.

It's not louder, it makes this weird sound.

Like this:

You can easily ignore the 360, but not that.

A friend of mines wii has made that sound before, but only every now and then, not all the time.

I had my 360 for 11 months when it RRODed. Should get it back today so we'll see how long it lasts this time around. They repaired it in a day, the 3 week delay is the journey to Germany and back. Never had a problem with controllers though :/. As for quality, well that's really with the games isn't it. I think my 360 catalogue is double the one I have on Wii and i've had the Wii a year longer. I think it depends what type of gamer you are. I personally wasn't satisfied with the games coming to Wii and there were just certain ones I wasn't prepared to miss. GTA4, CnC series, Half life series, Halo series etc.

I'm getting second thoughts on buying a 360. But I can't afford the PS3 (well, I can, but I'm not so wealthy that it would be worth my cash), so I'll just stick with my Wii. I haven't picked up Galaxy, Metroid or Brawl yet, so I'll invest my cash there instead.

...Wait a sec. You're saying you've never played the gems on Wii but yet you complain about the quality of Wii titles...:blank:

I've played them, but I don't own them. It's quite useless to buy games for your Wii, if you're only at home during weekends for a year straight because of military training, and you don't have a tv in your university crib the following year. But I have had my gaming satisfaction from my laptop, and AGES (Academic Gaming Environment Skövde), where I have played the gems. But now I've gotten myself a brand spanking new TV, so there's gonne be a wiily lot of playing games and catching up now.

Like I've said, I'm a big racing nut, and the Wii isn't delivering in that compartment. Nintendo have actually never delivered that since we came in to the 3D-era. And since it's mainly racers I want, I'm not going to buy the most expensive console around.

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned the PS3 Fan. I've had my PS3 since January and all has been well, but since I moved house back in March, my PS3 seems to be getting hot really quickly and the fan comes on after about 10 minutes and the noise it makes - seriously, it sounds like a Space Shuttle with ten jets strapped to it, ready for launch. Its unbearable and what I don't get is that it is in a really cool place with lots of ventilation. I've done the old Fan Test twice to try and clear away some of the dust that might have built up in the vents and its helped slightly as has laying it horizontally - the fan still comes on but then shuts off after about 20 minutes.

As for the 360. I had a launch Core unit that lasted 21 months before it bit the dust. Got a shiny new Arcade unit for my birthday in June. It does seem quieter than my old one although after about a month I was playing Tomb Raider Legend and it crashed. Tried to turn my console off and it wouldn't go off so pressed the eject button and the drive got stuck for about 2 seconds, made a horrible grinding noise and then opened WITHOUT THE DISC IN THE TRAY. Its as if it had fallen out and the disc kind of just rolled out once the tray was fully exposed. But apart from that, nope, no problems:indeed:

As for the 360. I had a launch Core unit that lasted 21 months before it bit the dust. Got a shiny new Arcade unit for my birthday in June. It does seem quieter than my old one although after about a month I was playing Tomb Raider Legend and it crashed. Tried to turn my console off and it wouldn't go off so pressed the eject button and the drive got stuck for about 2 seconds, made a horrible grinding noise and then opened WITHOUT THE DISC IN THE TRAY. Its as if it had fallen out and the disc kind of just rolled out once the tray was fully exposed. But apart from that, nope, no problems:indeed:

I actually think that might have been TRL's fault. That game caused my 360 to crash a dozen times. It crashed every time I pressed the guide button then Y to go back to the dashboard.

I hardly hear any noise coming from my PS3!

That is very much the case with the one in my house... for around 6 minutes, until it decides it wants to huff and puff and BLOW MY HOUSE DOWN!

I've had the PS3's 'extra' fan come on whilst watching DVD's sometimes, really annoying as it's mega loud, may even be louder than the 360!

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned the PS3 Fan. I've had my PS3 since January and all has been well, but since I moved house back in March, my PS3 seems to be getting hot really quickly and the fan comes on after about 10 minutes and the noise it makes - seriously, it sounds like a Space Shuttle with ten jets strapped to it, ready for launch. Its unbearable and what I don't get is that it is in a really cool place with lots of ventilation. I've done the old Fan Test twice to try and clear away some of the dust that might have built up in the vents and its helped slightly as has laying it horizontally - the fan still comes on but then shuts off after about 20 minutes.

PS3 may even be the quietest console of the current 3, so yet again sounds like something wrong there. :p

I have heard some people saying there is a way to check the fan level on the PS3 menu, and some people with high levels found that they had blocked vents etc. Could be worth checking that out.

Weird, i don't recal every hearing an 'extra' fan. I watch all my DVDs on my PS3 coz its quieter than my 360. Watch i'll get home from work tonight and i will hear it now! lol.

*hugs 65nm 40GB* Its probably the only upside of the unit tbh.

The worst thing is that the PS3's fan is still on when in stand by. I'd leave it on if it wasn't for that.

had the "disc dirty or damaged" message from day one on my first xbox360. Funny thing is that it was not on all games. Got it a lot on Dead rising and oblivion (made the games unplayable) and a few times on other games. Every time I tried to "complain" about it i just godt the usual shit.. "don't be so hard on your discs", "don't touch the underside of the disc".. "you must be mistreating your discs somehow"... both from gamestores and MS Support.. F****** idiots.. bought a new box some months ago and have not had that problem since..

I wondered whether the fan was still on if the PS3 was on stand by - there's been a few times in the past where the unit felt a little warm when I had it on stand by and I thought that it was warm cos it was a hot day (:heh: ).

Now that some of you have mentioned that you've never heard the 'other fan' I'm a bit scared that mine might have a problem. I thought the 40GB units were supposed to run cooler and not heat up like the old 60GB. Oh well, I'll see what happens.:(

Nintendo claimed that when the Wii is on stand by it uses the same amount of energy as a small light bulb... Is there anyway to prove this? because I am not entirely convinced with the way it heats up. Heaven knows how much energy a PS3 uses in stand by.

Nintendo claimed that when the Wii is on stand by it uses the same amount of energy as a small light bulb... Is there anyway to prove this? because I am not entirely convinced with the way it heats up.

Ever touched a light bulb while it's on?

*hugs 65nm 40GB* Its probably the only upside of the unit tbh.

The worst thing is that the PS3's fan is still on when in stand by. I'd leave it on if it wasn't for that.

Well i never new that!

Yer, its hot. lol.

Well yeah gee :indeed: sure its hot, but a machine covered in plastic does not exactly have the same qualities of a ball of glass. Anyway, I was claiming that it seems like more energy than a 'small light bulb' is consumed while the Wii is in stand by.

The 360's quality's a weird little riddle. To begin with I can mention that my friends Xbox first didn't want to open the disc tray, since the disc had fallen out of place. Then a few DAYS after he got it back, the console could no longer contact the controller. Just last week the XB at AGES got the red ring of doom.

Anyone know if these rumours of the new 60GB XB having better quality are true?

RROD issues are suppossed to be lessened but still there are many issues with the 360. I brought one and it would always crash 15-20 minutes into anything. No RROD but managed to return it. To be frank MS have an awful record built up with their software and hardware.

Have not had problems with the PS3 or Wii. My 60GB(now 320GB) fan tends to go on full fairly quick, though but its still more quiet than the Wii overall. Not sure how much heat the new HDD produces but it loads quicker than before.

I'm yet to have any real problems with my 360 and thats 18months I've had it. On the other hand I've had the Wii for 2 years and it now rarely reads the disc.

Face it. Even the original Xbox is more reliable than the 360.

Microsoft have royally fucked up this time around.