NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jamba

Brand Power

So each of the platform manufacturers have a very different take on how they are using their brand this generation.

Sony seem to be quite intent on riding the wave that they successfully created in the Playstation and PS2 days and have been relying on brand strength to push both the PSP and the PS3. This generation they are taking the cavalier apporach of just trying to convert their PS2 users into PS3 owners, rather than taking any extra steps to pull in new people. While I can understand this ethos, personally I see them as sitting on their lorrels and that they oblivious to the fact that their brand is only going to get them so far. They think for instance that if they manage to convert their PS2 audience then they will win this gen hands down.

Microsoft started off this gen with a powerful and clear idea of what their machine was about. Carrying on from the brave foundation that they made in the last gen, they were set to expand on the original idea and make it a full reality of their original ambition. But now they seem confused... they seem to be trying to do things which don't suit their brand or the platforms personality. I can understand that they are trying to bolster the platform so that it has less weaknesses but this may harm it's strengths. And let's not mention Games for Windows and the muddying of the water that that causes.

Nintendo have done a brilliant job with re-imagining their brand and making their name mean something new to a whole new generation of gamers. It's a tremendous achievement but they obviously will (as they have always done) risk the chance of not being taken seriously by the PS3/360 audience, who will see the Nintendo brand as meaning "casual" (it's the new kiddy dontya know!)

I think that brand is a very important part of this generation and has really helped sell many units.

Id like to see Sony lose the numbers behind their Playstations (2, 3, 4 etc.)

Actually now that i look at and prounounce the word 'playstation', it sounds almost as ridiculous as 'xbox' and 'wii'

Sign in to follow this