NEurope
Blackfox

Monopoly

750 million people have played it, 750 million people have gotten frutstrated at it, but mos tpeople still love it - Monopoly, the classic board game.

What's everyone's tactics?

Today I went on building the vastest Empire from Piccadilly to the Jail.. houses on the blues and greens and hotels on the browns.. yet I still fucking lost (I was being too lenient.. anyway). What do you all do?

MonopolyMan.jpg

I tend to build on the middle range properties.

Orange and Reds in particular.

Monopoly is a awesome game ;)

I always try to get the train stations and break other peoples monopolys of streets but I always lose so dont listen to me!

I hate it. I hate it! I hate it!!

It's possibly the only thing in life which has brought a tear from my iron-like heart. When you have 3 other family members saying "work out it stoopid" over debts and then "YOU OWE ME"...it cuts deep. Monopoly should have the subtitle "THIS IS WHAT LIFE IS ABOUT" because, in a cruel way...it typifies what life is all about. Having the assets/cash = having the power over everyone else involved.

I actually liked going straight to Jail. Sitting there and rotting, but enjoying it because I won't be paying taxes or getting a measly £200 (only for it to be blown on property/invested in risks - which will probably be worthless one day after you have to sell your assets to keep your head above water). Strange I've not done time then! :p

I hate Monopoly - If only because it's probably all just a game of egos. "I'm better, smarter, better banker, clever, shrewd, snide". Give me "Guess Who" anyday. That's actually, nice. :o

My tactics were generally to buy most of atleast 1 colour of the streets, I also liked setting houses and hotels on the light blue streets like Angel Islington and Euston Road because other players are likely to have the money from passing Go thus meaning I could invest in other places :) My policy was invest, invest, invest :D

I always go for the stations and the Blue/Greens then build those up to hotels.

Great game, nothing on 'Careers' though. That is a good game. So much fun, don't think they make it anymore though.

Well, I buy pretty much all the properties that I land on, then trade to make sets when the time comes. I find that the red set seems to be landed on very often, but the greens are great to have too.

I changed the rules for when we play the game, instead of having a full street before building upon lots we just build on the lot if you own it, more challenging and fun as well i think.

My basic strategy is to own one of the dark blue places, usually Mayfair and numerous other places along the board. I always seem to stay in the game for hours doing this and half the time i win.

My strategy is to buy up everything I land on apart from Waterworks and Electric Company, the idea being to prevent anyone from getting a set. If someone else does make a set I immediately start trading, making preferably a reasonable one-off deal to get a set of my own (I'm talking pink or above, the others aren't worth a thing once the game gets going). From there you gotta get the balance right between building and leaving yourself enough money to pay off rent if you have the misfortune to land on opponents' property with houses on. Don't offer any deals to anyone bankrupted by your property rents - take their cards and expand. Also be on the look out to prevent your main competitors from taking advantage of the weaker players with one-sided deals - offer them better. Have foresight as well - if say your main competitor has one orange card, and a very weak player has the two other orange cards, try and get your hands on at least one of those orange cards in case the weak player is bankrupted by your competitor's property.

This game sucks. I win about 50% of the time, I don't take it too seriously and have a good time. My family on the other hand take it as a life or death experience, so I've stopped playing with them.

To be honest, I'm not sure I ever truly played the real version, or at least don't remember finishing a game in it. We only ever had the Junior version, which was pretty fun (you would own rides and balloon stands and all that), even though it often ended in discussions, or people stealing money or whatever. X3

Maybe I should try out the real version again someday, with people who actually want to play...

Bleh, too much chance, not enough skill. It's still pretty fun though.

Pretty much my view on it.

I always start withe the low cost ones and work up. Rarely a winning strategy, but still.

Last time I played it, it was with my cousins and one of them threw the board up in the air in frustration.

Myself, I think its a great game. I don't really have a strategy though. I've got the star wars edition (which you would think would be a gimmick, however it has little slots that hold the properties on the board so you don't have to sort though a big pile).

Buy everything u can, its the only strategy that works. If your not lucky enough to land on any properties at the start of the game your stuffed. Its such a simple game =/

so you don't have to sort though a big pile).

Speaking of big piles, what the heck was that "Game of Life" all about?

i've never played it O___O!!

i really like the old style design for it though ^__^

reebok-reverse-jam-mid-monopoly-board.jpeg

Tactics? Tactics??? What are they?

Anyway, everyone has their own different set of runes.

My strategy also lies on buying the properties I land on. I seem to like it more than others I know, so I haven't played it in ages. I don't think I've ever owned the original one myself, instead I have the Star Wars Episode 1 and the Pokémon varieties :D

That. Is the shit.

Awesome...instant respect if I wore those. :D

I hate monopoly. About 18 months ago I 'retired' from the game. I've attempted to play it twice since then, and neither time did we finish.

To be honest, I'm not sure I ever truly played the real version, or at least don't remember finishing a game in it. We only ever had the Junior version, which was pretty fun (you would own rides and balloon stands and all that), even though it often ended in discussions, or people stealing money or whatever. X3

Maybe I should try out the real version again someday, with people who actually want to play...

i had the junior version! Way better.

Game of life ftw! way, way better than monopoly.

The game of life is basically you go through a pretty much linear board by spinning a spinner and collect money and loose money depending on the spaces you land on. Then at the end you wait until all the other players are done and then the one with the most money wins.