NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Odwin

FreeAVIVideoConverter

FAVC - The Free Avi to dvd Video Converter. Thought I'd bump this as v0.5.0.0 has just been released and all in all it is a fairly decent little encoding application.

Link

This is my first ever Visual Basic project and has taken me many hours and lots of cursing. It's a GUI for several different free video tools. It takes avi files and produces a dvd folder ready to be burned to a dvd and played in any regular dvd player.

Features:

Input avi files and obtain a DVD folder (and an iso if required) ready to be burned to a DVD disc.

Automatic file recognition and analysis.

Automatically assigns correct bitrate based on disc size chosen.

Easy chapter creation.

Requirements:

Must have Avisynth v2.56a or later installed.

Must have .NET framework Version 2 installed.

Instructions:

Unzip folder. Go into folder and double click the FAVC file. Choose your AVIs, destination folder, configure the options and then click the generate button. Whilst converting tasks will run on the task bar and can be watched. The main task is video encoding, which is done by QuEnc 0.70. When everything is done you will have a dvd folder in the required directory.

Files:

http://pike.fireflyinternet.co.uk/FAVC.exe (self-extracting)

http://pike.fireflyinternet.co.uk/FAVC.zip

To do:

Incorporate overscan option.

Basically I'd use this when I want a quick and easy solution to get an avi onto a disc to watch on the televison. Just this automates the process for me. If other people can find a use for it, then that's great too. It's not going to produce the greatest looking dvds, but it should do it reasonably quickly. If you can give it a try and see if it works that would be good.

To be honest Piro, you were one of my only hopes as I know you have an interest in this kind of thing. Nevermind though. I'll keep working on it and see where it goes.

if this does as it says it does (don't have a DVD burner to test) then with some developmetn, i'm sure it could probably go quite a way. :)

Thought of starting up a sourceforge page?

Aww :(

Maybe just nobody wanted to convert their stuff to DVD :-/

Aww, hey now. Consider it downloaded (downlud?). I tried a couple of .avi files and yeah, it did flip the audio out of sync - about a second behind the video. I've actually been after a piece of software that will do this, reliably, for a while now. If you can iron out the kinks, you'd probably save me a lot of pop-ups, shitty downloads and probably one or two system crashes, attempting to get the job done elsewhere.

Odwin, if i had a DVD burner i would have downloaded and used, but i dont.

I am sorry Sire, i failed you.

i will try this out! i have been looking for an easy to use program of this kind for a while.

edit: is there anyway you can put more than one file on the disk?

edit: is there anyway you can put more than one file on the disk?

Not right now, but there will be eventually. I have only be learning Visual basic for a day or two so it's a steep learning curve.

Not right now, but there will be eventually. I have only be learning Visual basic for a day or two so it's a steep learning curve.

A day or two and you can do that (not that I've tried the program), puts my year and a bit spent in college to shame really.

I'll give it a whirl next time I need some convertion done.

uh i wouldnt be able to do that and i studied visual basic for like 2 years :( you must be like super clever :P

It just creating a gui with buttons that sends commands to command line apps when the button is pressed.

I'm currently adding a preview function so you can see if the audio and video will go out of sync or not before committing to the long process.

I tend to use SVCD2DVD but... next time I need something from my PC onto a DVD (as soon as I get DSL back) - I'll give your program a try :)

If anyone is looking for the Mac equivalent, check out MacTheRipper (for nicking straight from DVD) or FFmpegX for converting video files from just about anything to anything.

Okay, I've just had a little fiddle with it and implemented some stuff.

Changes:

Choice of Frame rate, aspect ratio, frame type and source type added to the gui. You choose the values you think are right and then use the 'check' button to see if the video and audio remain in sync throughout. (If you choose AVISource and then there appears to be tearing or video distortion then that doesn't matter; it's the sync that does matter.)

At the moment if you choose anything other than

23.976 16:9 Progressive DirectShowSource

then nothing happens when you press the 'Generate DVD' button. With the above choices it should work. I've increased the video and audio bitrates so that only about 2 hours will fit on a single disc. If your source really has these attributes then it should all work now and create a PAL DVD.

I know the gui has a lot of wasted space, but there are destination choices to be stuck on it yet!

I always update the link in my first post so that the most recent version is uploaded.

i have tried to use it, but get an immediate error message and the program fails to open.

i think the message is 'the parameters are incorrect'.

i have tried to use it, but get an immediate error message and the program fails to open.

i think the message is 'the parameters are incorrect'.

Should work better now Tom.

I've streamlined it to a 2MB download too. Fairly classy I think.

Still only takes 23.976 fps, 16:9 material.

Still only does one file. (The one at the top of the list.)

You can now choose the audio bitrate, and very soon the disc capacity tab will actually do something and more than just one file will be processed.

If anyone is looking for the Mac equivalent, check out MacTheRipper (for nicking straight from DVD) or FFmpegX for converting video files from just about anything to anything.

thankyou! *hugs* sorry odders, i'm a dirty mac user aswell, but congrats on making this program, it's a cool idea :)

I've bumped this for reasons given in the first post. I've updated the links to the newest build. I user this for some of my encoding; it is reliable and pretty quick.

If anyone finds a bug, post away. If you like it, then positive comments here would be very appreciated: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=FAVC

Sign in to follow this