NEurope
darkjak

A few questions about the 360

Hi.

I'm thinking about buying an XB360, and I have a few questions.

First of all, which should I buy? I want a harddrive and a Wireless controller, but I don't need that much space. What else differs?.

I also wonder about XB Live. Do you have to pay every month to be able to be online, or do you pay to use voicechat, skip download ques and so on?

The premium should do you, then (it's only 20GB). I'm not sure if they're bringing the 60GB version over here any time soon.

As for Xbox Live, you can buy a yearly subscription. You need it to play online.

Hi.

I'm thinking about buying an XB360, and I have a few questions.

First of all, which should I buy? I want a harddrive and a Wireless controller, but I don't need that much space. What else differs?.

The obvious and only choice in this case is the Pro then. Arcade doesn't have a HD or wireless controller, and the elite has a 120gb hard drive which you've said you don't need.

I also wonder about XB Live. Do you have to pay every month to be able to be online, or do you pay to use voicechat, skip download ques and so on?

There are no download queues. Voicechat and messaging is free with a silver account (which is free), when you buy Gold membership you pay to play the games online and to get some content early like demo's etc as well as everything Silver offers. You can buy membership cards for either 3 or 12 month lengths so you don't need to pay every month. : peace:

If you can wait till September that may be better time to buy one. Speculation is a price cut and introduction of 60GB Premiums/Pros (which has already happened in US)

I would buy Xbox live you can play online and enjoy playing in a group or to play with friends.

xbox live is awesome. Just been playing COD4 online for the past week.

But yeh, definitely consider waiting a bit for the newer models to come out, i.e 60gb hard drive.

As for game reccomendations, tell us, what do you like? FPS? Sports? Racing? Do you want to be playing mostly online, multiplayer stuff?

As for game reccomendations, tell us, what do you like? FPS? Sports? Racing? Do you want to be playing mostly online, multiplayer stuff?

I'm buying the 360 to mainly play racers. First games I'll buy will be Forza 2 and GTA 4. Then we'll see.

my bro is thinking about finally getting 360 as he has moved out but I am telling him to hold off till the 60gb machine is released. Anyone have any idea when this will be sold in Europe?

my bro is thinking about finally getting 360 as he has moved out but I am telling him to hold off till the 60gb machine is released. Anyone have any idea when this will be sold in Europe?

knowing how europe gets treated.... probably never. lol

Calza said above that he thinks we might hear something in September.

Does anyone really mind paying for Xbox Live? It's like what, £3 a month?

Personally, no. Bought my sub off eBay this year, £25 for a 12 + 1 month voucher; £1.92 a month! That's no money, my bus fair in to town is £1.80!

It's free for a reason

Well comparing the 2 360 is definatly better for online however i wouldn't say PS3 is that far behind, shop isn't as good but games that give online play are pretty similar. I have played CoD4 on both consoles online and i wouldn't say its any diff to 360.

I mind when i pay the money to have it for the year, but then i quickly forget so overall i wouldn't say i mind to much. ;)

I'd wait a bit, cause of price drops and the new boards.

The best version depends at the price you can get it and how resourceful you are at finding cheap things, I got the Arcade with 1 year Live, Gow, the arcade games (duh), then bought a 20gb HDD, the charge and play kit and the headset cheaper than the premium one. I don't know what sort of promotions if any are going on where you live though.

About LIVE, you'll have a month (?) of free trial, you should use that to see if you really want it. Personally, I might not suscribe to Gold when the current one expires, because I don't like to play online that often (although I'd like to play more often with you guys), the demos are what I use it for most of the times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Live-12-Month-Gold-Membership/dp/B000B5KMSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1217783506&sr=8-1

£34.98 a year from amazon, buy it from one of the cheaper resellers and you can pay ~£27.

Even going with amazon's price, that's £2.91 a month... £2.30 from the cheapest on amazon.

Live does so much that the Playstation Network does not.

A decent and updated online store.

EU Video store.

Cross game voice chat.

Bio's

Sharing friends lists

Great achievement tracking

Unified gamertag, so we don't have to sign up for TWO ID's for a fucking game *cough* MGO *cough*

Only thing the PSN does better:

Dedicated servers

Live is that cheap?

That means you pay about as much a year as you do a month for virtually any MMO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Live-12-Month-Gold-Membership/dp/B000B5KMSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1217783506&sr=8-1

£34.98 a year from amazon, buy it from one of the cheaper resellers and you can pay ~£27.

Even going with amazon's price, that's £2.91 a month... £2.30 from the cheapest on amazon.

They seem all nearer to £30. And the cheapest Amazon seller...that's dodgy as hell. £2 to have a link sent to you so you can then buy it for £24? Are we supposed to take their word on that? :heh:

Live is that cheap?

That means you pay about as much a year as you do a month for virtually any MMO.

Ripped off either way tbh. I have a 360 and am needing to buy LIVE time (month trial used up)...I know the online service is good but there's no reason why it should cost money, just because it's better. It's like they have a trump card over PS3 but they then be silly enough to charge for it. Considering there's no standalone servers I'm not sure what we're paying for that isn't free on PSN. :p

A decent and updated online store.

EU Video store.

Cross game voice chat.

Bio's

Sharing friends lists

Great achievement tracking

Unified gamertag, so we don't have to sign up for TWO ID's for a fucking game *cough* MGO *cough*

I would say PSN has most of that (store, bios, video store) and soon has the achievement thing. That said, I am getting annoyed by achievements, and I'd probably be happier if achievements were just never put in. Reason being - a) it promotes obsessive gaming in a way that wouldn't normally be done (e.g. get 10,000 gold tokens), b) it causes people to 'go for' the achievements, usually altering the way they'd play the game and ultimately ignoring things that don't reward achievements, and c) it awards game perfectionists. No one likes those.

It does have most of the other things you say, but really, I don't think it's worth paying for that. If it had standalone servers (ie. something that gave a reason for Microsoft to continuously require money from the gamer) then I would see otherwise, but really a lot of those voice-chat, friend list things are really all available in a sense for free on MSN messenger. :p

Personally, no. Bought my sub off eBay this year, £25 for a 12 + 1 month voucher; £1.92 a month! That's no money, my bus fair in to town is £1.80!

Yeah I did the same. Obviously I would like free but I really don't care about paying for the better service.

But then there are the fantastic PS3 exclusives that need thinking about.