N-Europe

PES 2009 Pro Evolution Soccer

nekunando

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually content with the visuals.. they look a bit better than PES 2008 and they do the job sufficiently (even if they won't blow anyone away :heh:)

I'm not too fussed about the graphics, though I admit I would have liked to see a bit more of a jump from the last game. I've been playing FIFA 09 on the PC lately though, and while the graphics are way ahead of PES Wii, it's a country mile behind it as a game. PES might not pack the visual punch, but by crikey it's the better game all over, it really is.

Still haven't got the new game though. My incessant faffing about on the internet has led me to be game free at the launch. My own dozy fault. Still, I should have it next week. :)

I'm not too fussed about the graphics, though I admit I would have liked to see a bit more of a jump from the last game. I've been playing FIFA 09 on the PC lately though, and while the graphics are way ahead of PES Wii, it's a country mile behind it as a game. PES might not pack the visual punch, but by crikey it's the better game all over, it really is.

Still haven't got the new game though. My incessant faffing about on the internet has led me to be game free at the launch. My own dozy fault. Still, I should have it next week. :)

Fifa 09 on PC is garbage and nowhere near the level of the 360/PS3 game. I am hoping one of my friends picks this up so i can give it a try. No way I gonna use classic controls though as PES on PS2 just ended up being full of scripted CPU assisted gameplay.

do u need all that twilight stuff to copy the option files then, i dnt hve twilight and ive updated to the latest firm, is there another way :( can sum1 else plz try it

thx

I can't copy my save file to SD so I think you're gonna end up disappointed dude..

Fifa 09 on PC is garbage and nowhere near the level of the 360/PS3 game. I am hoping one of my friends picks this up so i can give it a try. No way I gonna use classic controls though as PES on PS2 just ended up being full of scripted CPU assisted gameplay.

Yeah it's not a great game on the PC. Haven't played the PS3 game, but the PC FIFA is basically the years old usual FIFA but with some spiffy new graphics. It can be very nice looking at times (in spite of some terrible frame rate issues even on excellent hardware), but PES Wii is miles better, and I'm still playing last years game. I take your comment about the PS2 game's AI as well. You're right, and it's something you notice a lot when playing regular controller football games. The AI often lets you down when you need it.

do u need all that twilight stuff to copy the option files then, i dnt hve twilight and ive updated to the latest firm, is there another way :( can sum1 else plz try it

thx

Someone's bound to come up with a new idea to solve this soon. I'm sure of it.

You know, this is one of a few handful of games that I have felt 100% fully deserved the purchase. Graphics aside, not a lot here feels half-hearted or inferior. I still get that good ole feeling of managment and anxiety in the Master League as I did on the 360, and its good to see the same ole faces like 'Ximelez' and others that don't cross my mind at present. The presentation, menu music, formation accesibility... its all lovely. Can't wait to get stuck in.

People, buy this! This is the moment I've been waiting for since ISS 98 on the N64! (whoops FC up soon)

You know, this is one of a few handful of games that I have felt 100% fully deserved the purchase. Graphics aside, not a lot here feels half-hearted or inferior. I still get that good ole feeling of managment and anxiety in the Master League as I did on the 360, and its good to see the same ole faces like 'Ximelez' and others that don't cross my mind at present. The presentation, menu music, formation accesibility... its all lovely. Can't wait to get stuck in.

People, buy this! This is the moment I've been waiting for since ISS 98 on the N64! (whoops FC up soon)

Funny you should mention ISS 98. I was just thinking yesterday how PES 2008 on the Wii reminded me of ISS 64. By that reckoning, PES 2009 should be the Wii equivalent of ISS 98, and I expect it will be for me. I put hours into PES 2008, and will be gnashing my teeth till the new game turns up on my doorstep!

Would you say the graphics are actually worse this year then, King_V?

Funny you should mention ISS 98. I was just thinking yesterday how PES 2008 on the Wii reminded me of ISS 64. By that reckoning, PES 2009 should be the Wii equivalent of ISS 98, and I expect it will be for me. I put hours into PES 2008, and will be gnashing my teeth till the new game turns up on my doorstep!

Would you say the graphics are actually worse this year then, King_V?

Oddly, kind of. They look even worst than PS2, but yet at the same time the facial familiarities are much better. Its odd. For me, its the jaggies on the players and on the grass that irritates. I think they tried for a more realistic look ie making the grass look like grass, but Im sure if they made it look like astro turf, it would have looked so much better. It just doesn't look as bold as the Gamecube Japanese version - which I have. This is why I think the only 2 camera options were there purposely, as they are further than normal. And this kind of makes me feel 'less' involved with the individual personalities of the players... Though something tells me this is a techy problem, so i'm going to try and run it on 50hz rather than component EDTV 60.

But please note, this is extreme nit-picking. Its just that everything else here is perfect, smoother graphics would have been the cream of the crop. At least a whiny git like me would have nothing to complain about. ;)

Also, this is definetly not a game one could review in a day. This game just feels so hidden in depth. I don't know why i feel so impressed; its just pro evo after all, i guess I'm just content of its contents - I like this Wii: different but equal vibe.

Edited by King_V

I agree King_V, they could do more with the Wii graphics, but also like you I'm happy the game is so fantastic. PES has always been a "game first, graphics second" type of game. I really think Konami got their approach to the Wii bang on with this game. It's really a true look at how the Wii controls can properly improve and evolve a respected game. A truly great football game is massively important to me personally, and a lack of one can kill a console for me. Thank God then, that this is so right on the Wii.

I've just been watching some videos of it on YouTube etc. Does anyone else here get annoyed like me watching other people play this? They never move players off the ball. It's the whole point of the Wii game! I'm always making sly fake runs and positioning players about the place. I love moving my forward just slightly away from his marker to get a killer pass etc. I also never see drag defending, which to me is essential to the game. I've not seen any of this in the gameplay videos I've seen about the place.

Maybe I'm just a PES snob! :grin:

Well I was hoping to buy it in town today but they did not have it in Whsmith. While Gamestation had it £5 dearer than online. So I'll buy it online possibly this weekend so expect me with a copy during midweek :)

Yeah that's what happened to me. I messed my online pre-order about and ended up hunting in the city centre for it at a comparative price to the internet. No joy, so I've re-ordered it yet again and should have it midweek too. I am a silly bast really.

Surprised the high street weren't competitive with this release what with MadWorld being the same instore as online, but I guess they must have been sure of sales with PES.

As for the option files, there's a beta going around the net of a potential option file update, but you need the Twilight hack to get it working. Sadly, if you've updated your Wii recently, you'll not be able to do it at all. I have to say though, that I'm pretty sure someone somewhere will come up with a good way of getting this file to work without the Twilight hack in future.

That's right. It updates the kits and emblems to make them more accurate and current. They used to do one for the old Xbox PES games, and they were bloody good. I sincerely hope someone finds a way around the current lock out so we can use these files. I love PES regardless, but the files make it the perfect game imho.