NEurope
nekunando

PES 2009 Pro Evolution Soccer

logo_pes2009.jpg

GoNintendo

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has confirmed it is to expand its PES 2009 line-up with the release of a mobile version to be released in Autumn and a Wii version in Spring 2009.

Following the incredible success of the PES 2008 for Wii, work is underway on a series of advances to affirm PES 2009 as the definitive football title for the format. Building on the unique control system of its predecessor, PES 2009 expands on the basic concept of players controlling both the player with the ball and those around them. PES 2009 will bring the user closer to the game by introducing different control methods which cater for a wide range of play styles.

PES 2009 for Nintendo Wii will feature a number of key additions, with an enhanced shooting system offering more control while remaining as easy to use as last year’s version. The development team has also reworked the defensive elements of the game, with more control over defenders and more ways to close down attacking threats. A new AI system has also been implemented and results in more sophisticated and intuitive movement from team mates according to the player’s commands.

Despite these many additions, PES 2009 for Wii is accessible as before, but offers a more fluid and flowing match-day experience. It is a game that could only be produced for Wii and truly marries the unique control system of the format with the PES series’ utterly realistic and addictive action.

Konami’s mobile version of PES 2009 will be released alongside the home versions in Autumn. Following the massive success of the mobile version of PES 2008, the new edition now boasts multi-player capabilities via Bluetooth. The game also refines the one-button control system of last year’s game, and PES 2009 now features enhanced goalkeeper AI, and player intelligence has also been developed to match the new level of animation they enjoy. Coupled with new stadiums, a selection of unlockable bonuses and training challenges – PES 2009 marks a new high in football games for mobile.

PES 2009 will be released for mobile phones in Autumn, and for Wii in Spring 2009. For more information, please contact…

All copyrights or trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are used under license.

© 2008 Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

I loved PES 08. I'm glad they're improving the shooting and defending in this, as they were the weak spots.

If they keep Champions Road, but add Master League, and the option to use your save file in online matches, plus a better edit mode, more licensed clubs and possibly championship clubs (go Cov!) I'll be happy. :yay:

Next year!?

As much as I like the Wii iteration, I think putting it off till next year is daft. It's coming out as the season ends. It's crazy.

I honestly expected Konami to move PES2009 on Wii so it would come out the same time as the other consoles now they know it's successful and viable on Wii. From a quality point of view it's probably a good idea (hopefully), but from a simple UK footie season point of view it's incredibly daft.

I don't want them to rush it but I think they miss opportunities bringing it out so late.

Yeah this is ridiculous! Pro Evo Wii is INSANELY out of date already and its only been aout a few months, someone needs to tell them they are completely retarded releasing it then....UNLESS......UNLESS they have a detailed editor and transfer system so we can update the squads. It puts me off playing pro evo with the squads so old!!! ARGH!!!! WHY IS NOTHING PERFECT!!?!?!

Perhaps they don't want to risk market failure by putting it in direct competition with FIFA 09.

Considering PES 2008 came out just a few months ago there is no way I was ready to jump ship to a newer version this autumn! I'm actually glad they are going to take the time to improve everything from this years version.. we all know what is great about the game and what we all think could be 'fixed' (such as the shooting and defending which Konami themselves have highlighted)

I'm excited to see the next version as I feel it will take all the great ideas from 2008 and make everything work better to help the control scheme reach its full potential!

An edit mode has been unquestionably missed in PES 2008 because we could have at least made all the transfers for the upcoming season.. no Keane and Torres for me :heh: ..hopefully 2009 won't leave this out!

Spring is a long way off yet.. it would almost be an idea to hold off until September 2009 to release 'PES 2010' and forget about this season. It would give them a few more months to work on it, have everything up to date ready for the new season (next year..) and give them a head start on FIFA 2010..

I'm not saying that's what I want.. but I'm interested to see what FIFA 2009 will be like as I haven't played the series in years! In that sense, I wouldn't mind if Konami held back a year as I could perhaps enjoy (endure?) a year of FIFA as it would provide something a bit different, then be ready for the (what should be fantastic) PES 2010 the following season..

It is unfortunate that this seasons game will be out so late, but it was expected and I'm just thankful we got the game in the first place :heh:

A bit of me would rather they just waited until Spetember 2009 too, after the transfer window closes, and spend them time adding modes, tweaking the AI and aking it the best it can possibly be...saying that, I don't know if I could wait that long :) I wish they could update the game. Ive changed the Spurs team - changed the names of the players who look similar to the ones in the game, got rid of that over rated pile of shit Robbie Keane. But I can't be bothered to do that with everyone, maybe if I could change what they looked like and how good they are, but it's to limited.

They can learn from Fifa 09 though, whichi s good. Ultimately, if Fifa 09 is brilliant I wont be as bothered, but Spring is an awful time of year to release a game......just give us that damn editor Konami!

There is no mention of a DS game (which isn't surprising considering the last two games were very poor) but I find it very disappointing that they didn't try to incorporate the basics of the Wii game into handheld form!

I know I have linked this many times in the past, but I would just loved them to have had a go at something along the lines of this:

DS Control Methods

The game could basically be a port of ISS 98 (with some club teams and updated players..) which they could water down in the graphics department if it was too difficult to get it to go on DS..

I'm sure they have thought of it, but it's almost tempting to email Konami to see what they felt with the idea.. and persuade them to make it happen :heh: ..but I can dream..

If we're going to have an out of date game anyway, I'd much rather they skip the spring release and bring it back into line for PES 2010.

Just doesn't make any sense to bring it out next spring. I say, improve the game ready for a proper release in the autumn.

Well this pretty much confirms I'll get FIFA for PS3 then get this come spring I reckon. Only problem then is its potentially up against Wii Sports Resort and will get overlooked much like this years did.

Well this pretty much confirms I'll get FIFA for PS3 then get this come spring I reckon. Only problem then is its potentially up against Wii Sports Resort and will get overlooked much like this years did.

Why wouldn't you get Fifa for the Wii?

Also, I thought Pro Evo Wii sold extremely well.....

Why wouldn't you get Fifa for the Wii?

FIFA for the Wii looks appalling this year to me. Looks like they've mostly eschewed any kind of improvement to the main game, and spent a lot of time bolstering the more casual elements of the title. I was reading somewhere that they've incorporated a hefty wedge of control ideas from PES, and that will be one of many different control options for the regular football shenanigans. However, they've put a lot of focus onto the cartoony Mii football side of things, as they see that as being more attractive to EA's beloved "casual" gamer audience.

I think it was on Eurogamer where I saw the article. Really, it put me off the game completely this year, so I'd rather just stick with PES2008 for however long it takes for the new one to appear. I'll keep an eye on how it turns out, but the more I hear about EA's focus on the "casual gamer" on Wii the less I want to give them my money.

EDIT: No, it was IGN.

need more details about FIFA 09 on the Wii. the guys at fifa soccer blog talk about on there podcast and they were impressed with it. Saying there is the mode for the casual gamer but EA also have developed a more deeper gameplay mode.

FIFA for the Wii looks appalling this year to me. Looks like they've mostly eschewed any kind of improvement to the main game, and spent a lot of time bolstering the more casual elements of the title. I was reading somewhere that they've incorporated a hefty wedge of control ideas from PES, and that will be one of many different control options for the regular football shenanigans. However, they've put a lot of focus onto the cartoony Mii football side of things, as they see that as being more attractive to EA's beloved "casual" gamer audience.

I think it was on Eurogamer where I saw the article. Really, it put me off the game completely this year, so I'd rather just stick with PES2008 for however long it takes for the new one to appear. I'll keep an eye on how it turns out, but the more I hear about EA's focus on the "casual gamer" on Wii the less I want to give them my money.

EDIT: No, it was IGN.

Huh, thats an ADDITIONAL mode, it's still got the simulation mode. I haven't read anywhere that they have compromised this in favour of the Mii Footii thing, thats an extra thing for the Wii, that haven't gimped anything for it though.

For me, we haven't heard enough about the main game though, really want to see who the Pro Evo cotrols stack up. Surely it can be as good, at least. Just rip it off and that'll do. As long as the AI is better and the team are all up to date then I'll be happy enough.....if they make it better though.....hmm!!!

Huh, thats an ADDITIONAL mode, it's still got the simulation mode. I haven't read anywhere that they have compromised this in favour of the Mii Footii thing, thats an extra thing for the Wii, that haven't gimped anything for it though.

For me, we haven't heard enough about the main game though, really want to see who the Pro Evo cotrols stack up. Surely it can be as good, at least. Just rip it off and that'll do. As long as the AI is better and the team are all up to date then I'll be happy enough.....if they make it better though.....hmm!!!

I know what you are saying, but it seems to me that EA have put a lot of effort and a lot of focus on the more casual elements in the new Wii FIFA. This is clearly the bit they're pushing as the big addition to the game, and it's one that puts me off it. I'd much rather they spent time polishing the football proper, instead of wasting everyone's time with this cartoon-style football mode.

As you say, we've not heard a lot about the main game on Wii, but I can't have much hope for it when they're pushing this. Any time and effort wasted on this type of addition detracts from polishing up the actual game - the part that people are going to actually play, as opposed to try once and bin.

As for ripping off Konami's PES controls...I'm disappointed by that too. Wouldn't it have been better again to perfect what you have and polish it, instead of nicking someone else's idea wholesale? It's a case of letting someone else do the developing for you. I didn't realise you could get away with this in the software world.

Nah. I'll see how it looks, but it's going to be PES for me on Wii in the future.

I know what you are saying, but it seems to me that EA have put a lot of effort and a lot of focus on the more casual elements in the new Wii FIFA. This is clearly the bit they're pushing as the big addition to the game, and it's one that puts me off it. I'd much rather they spent time polishing the football proper, instead of wasting everyone's time with this cartoon-style football mode.

As you say, we've not heard a lot about the main game on Wii, but I can't have much hope for it when they're pushing this. Any time and effort wasted on this type of addition detracts from polishing up the actual game - the part that people are going to actually play, as opposed to try once and bin.

As for ripping off Konami's PES controls...I'm disappointed by that too. Wouldn't it have been better again to perfect what you have and polish it, instead of nicking someone else's idea wholesale? It's a case of letting someone else do the developing for you. I didn't realise you could get away with this in the software world.

Nah. I'll see how it looks, but it's going to be PES for me on Wii in the future.

I hear you, but EA have been so good on Wii I'm optimistic for a best of all worlds with the Wii version (I actually really enjoyed Fifa 08 Wii). And also I'm glad they're ripping off Pro Evo as I don't really want to play another football game that doesn't have a control method like that.

Also, I think the Mii Footii looks really good, quite like a good bit of arcadey fun; I loved STRIKER on the SNES which had the a 5 a side football mode too

Some early previews are even saying the Wii 5-a-side mode is more fun than an other versions full-on mode. Nice.

But footy games are kind of appealing to a hardcore fanbase. Those who want to see their team faithfully recaptured in astoundingly precise detail. FIFA08 on Wii was excellent and as a first-step certainly turned a few heads. PES was amazing too yet lacked features and, to me, almost felt like a tech demo. With a spring 09 release date I've lost interest in PES Wii. Controls and all. FIFA 09 on wii could be a brilliant party game for all and a brilliant solo experience. What's not to like about that. Best of both worlds.

I might get Fifa depending on how it turns out. It could be great, but it needs to lose that "Fifa feeling," if you know what I mean. I just don't like how Fifa games feel to play so splicing it with what Pro Evo has already done should be a good idea. I'd rather we got the new Pro Evo on Wii this September/ October, but if they do take the time to blow it out and further refine the controls, then why complain?

Its amusing to think that for all the amazing work the current Pro Evo has done in the controls department, there's still ALOT that can be done to tweak it and improve it.

I thought EA did a fine job with FIFA08 on Wii. I mean, they clearly weren't sure how to implement the controls, but it actually turned out OK, if a little unspectacular. I certainly agree that PES is lacking a lot of features compared, but it's still the more satisfying of the two games for me. The controls need a bit of polishing up for sure, but as an experiment with Wii possibilities it's a resounding success. I haven't touched FIFA08 since getting PES at launch. I love the depth of play that PES offers over FIFA on Wii.

But I don't mean to be too negative. I'll keep an eye on FIFA, and hope it turns out well. We need competition in this area on Wii. The GameCube never had that, so you either had FIFA or you did without. The spring release for PES is a real issue though, and it remains to be seen whether it'll be harmful to the series in the long run.

What's the release date for FIFA then, by the way?

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/913/913549p1.html

Play PES Wii the Old-Fashioned Way

Classic controller support and new gameplay enhancements coming.

UK, September 25, 2008 - Konami has lifted the lid on details of the Wii version of Pro Evolution Soccer, including support for the classic controller and a number of gameplay enhancements. Speaking at the PES European Finals in Rome, producer Akiyoshi 'Greyhound' Chosogabe revealed that the new game – which will be released in spring 2009 - will enable players to play the game using a conventional PES control scheme, either with a classic controller or by holding the Wii remote on its side and using the D-pad to control an individual player.

Greyhound explained that traditional controls were "deliberately left out last year to introduce the new concept", which he believes was successful in 2008's iteration of the game, but now he wanted players to experience the depth and variety offered by a classic controller. Konami then showed off the new controls during a brief demonstration, with a Man United-Barcelona clash playing out much like it would if it was running on PlayStation or Xbox.

Awesome :heh: Thanks for the link khilafah :smile:

I was just coming from selecting my projects for university and saw this thread had been posted in.. and so far I like what I hear! I was actually talking about PES2008 in my Console Game Development lecture today, making an example of the AI in the game where players near the ball would just ignore it a lot of the time..

PES 2008 was a great game, but everyone knows that there were many areas which would end up frustrating the player. These include picking up a loose ball, little to no control over the power and direction of shooting, no edit mode, no master league and defending in general (there were good points to the defending, but it was hard to feel totally in control).

Everything that I read over on IGN seemed to suggest that all of these areas of concern are being taken care of and the potential of last years game could very well translate into an amazing experience in 2009.

I found this years game very difficult to have games with anyone (other than with people on N-Europe :heh:) as a lot of people didn't seem interested in trying to adapt to the new controls.. which was a shame :hmm: With the inclusion of Classic Control, fans of the old style can join in and play a game they perhaps otherwise wouldn't take the time to come to terms with!

If all goes well, this could be great.. and hopefully the 'Edit Mode' will allow us to sort out all the January Transfers that will probably not be fixed by the time the game is released on Wii :heh: It's also nice to know that Liverpool will have the official kits this year :yay:

wonder how it will work in online games. will they let players using wii controls play against players using classic controls for example??

wonder how it will work in online games. will they let players using wii controls play against players using classic controls for example??

I was wondering this too as the 2008 'drag and direct' approach seems far more adaptive than the traditional AI routines which would be used when using traditional controls. It will be interesting to see how games pan out with wiimote players pitting their skills against traditional controller players.

Maybe the wiimote controls will be the best way to win against opponents thus pushing people to use those controls? Perhaps FIFA 09 will offer a peek into this aspect as it apparently supports many control styles.