NEurope
Sprout

The Official Fire Emblem Thread

I think so - I've been going through the game with iron weapons so as not to "waste" the more powerful ones, and yet I thought I'd tried using the best swords (with Eirika) and it wasn't very effective.

I'm glad to hear Lyon's Resistance is higher than his Defence, because I just haven't been using the mages, and don't have any who can use Rank S spells.

It's tempting to stay with Iron Weapons and in the GBA games, I mostly tend to stay with them myself due to how the "con" stat works but what good is a flashy weapon if you never use it? If you're on the end chapter, just go for it!

Erika isn't the best choice for taking him down because she likely won't have that high strength compared to your other units unless she has that A support with Seth for +3 attack. But even then, she will only be matching the best of the other units and if they have supports too then they will be even more deadly.

If you've gotten this far, Lyon should really be much trouble for you.

Kinda makes it look like Sheeda and Palla are the main characters of those games when they aren't :heh: Still, pretty cool.

I see the creator of that image couldn't bring themselves to use the redone Micaiah artwork from Awakening - can't blame them though.

Edit: also, as pointed about by someone on GoNintendo, they have some of the dates wrong. Seisen no Keifu didnt come out on the same day as Monshou no Nazo and the Akaneia Saga apparently came out later than stated, although it was still the same month.

Beyond those two mishaps, I noticed myself that they used the US date for Shadow Dragon instead of the EU date since we got it in December of the year prior.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Just started Sacred Stones on my 3DS as it was one of the ambassador games. It's my first FE game and I have to say I'm already sold. What a great game!!:love:

When I'm finished, which should I play next?

It reminds me alot of Advance Wars which I also love.

Just started Sacred Stones on my 3DS as it was one of the ambassador games. It's my first FE game and I have to say I'm already sold. What a great game!!:love:

When I'm finished, which should I play next?

Until recently, I would say to go for Fire Emblem 7 for the GBA (known simply as Fire Emblem in the west) or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for the Gamecube (which is quite rare/expensive nowadays).

(Radiant Dawn for the Wii is good, but should be played after PoR. Shadow Dragon for the DS is simply bad)

However, with the recent release of Fire Emblem Awakening for the 3DS, I say go for that one instead. It has been very well received.

Until recently, I would say to go for Fire Emblem 7 for the GBA (known simply as Fire Emblem in the west) or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for the Gamecube (which is quite rare/expensive nowadays).

(Radiant Dawn for the Wii is good, but should be played after PoR. Shadow Dragon for the DS is simply bad)

However, with the recent release of Fire Emblem Awakening for the 3DS, I say go for that one instead. It has been very well received.

Thanks, I'll go with Awakening than. Where would you place Sacred Stones in your "top 5" ?(or 7, 8, 9, 10, what a mess with all these releases ;))

Thanks, I'll go with Awakening than. Where would you place Sacred Stones in your "top 5" ?(or 7, 8, 9, 10, what a mess with all these releases ;))

My opinion of the games I played goes like this:

Blazing Sword (Fire Emblem GBA) > Radiant Dawn > Path of Radiance = Sword of Seals > Sacred Stones >>> Shadow Dragon

There's nothing wrong with Sacred Stones. I like the branched promotions, the new classes (including the "trainees") and there is a handful of genuinely challenging maps.

However, I also feel it's a bit unimpressive, without anything to make it great. It being short doesn't help matters, either (and the Tower+Ruins do nothing for me).

Also, a while back, I gave Fused King a synopsis of the series, might as well bring it into this thread (editing it slightly to include info about Awakening):

Here is a list (+important points) of the entire series:

Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light (NES) - Featuring Marth. Being the original, it lacks a lot of features introduced later. There are remakes on the SNES and the DS.

Gaiden (NES) - Featuring Alm & Celica, each with their own army. The "oddball" of the series, there's a world map, branched promotions, you can grind for experience... Sacred Stones is based off this one.

Mystery of the Emblem (SNES) - There's two parts to this game. Book 1 is a remake of the first game. Book 2 is a direct sequel (also featuring Marth). It's the most popular FE in Japan.

Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES) - Featuring Sigurd and a darker, grittier story. Introduced skills, among other more complex gameplay elements. Fans tend to consider it one of the best.

Thracia 776 (SNES) - Featuring Leaf, and set during the previous game. This is the hardest and most complex game in the series. Fairly obscure, considering it was released in 1999 (two years before the Cube).

Sword of Seals (GBA) - Featuring Roy, this game was back to basics. Introduced the "Support" system that's so adored by fans (FE4 had a similar concept, though). I hear it was inspired by the Marth games.

It should be noted, there are translation patches for every Japanese game (except New Mystery, which is in-progress).

Blazing Sword (GBA) - Featuring Lyn, Eliwood & Hector, it's set 20 years before Sword of Seals. First game to be released in English (it's just "Fire Emblem" here). Also considered one of the best (and my personal favourite).

Sacred Stones (GBA) - Featuring Eirika & Ephraim, it was inspired by Gaiden. Still a bit of an oddball.

Path of Radiance (Gamecube) - Featuring Ike, and introducing the Laguz. Brought back skills, and introduces several new features (Base Conversations and Bonus EXP being the most notable).

Radiant Dawn (Wii) - Featuring Ike & Micaiah, it's a direct sequel to PoR. Refined every gameplay element from PoR. Hardest game to be released in English. Lacks support conversations (its greatest flaw). It's still one of the best.

Shadow Dragon (DS) - Remake of the first game. Actually lacks many gameplay features from the series. Still, introduces the "Class Change" system. It was poorly received.

New Mystery of the Emblem (DS) - Remake of Book 2 from the 3rd game. Only released in Japan. Supposed to actually be a lot better than Shadow Dragon.

Awakening (3DS) - Featuring Chrom, this game is an ode to the entire series, bringing back a ton of features and references from past Fire Emblems. It's been very well received, and put Fire Emblem on the "mainstream" map in the west.

It seems Awakening really pushed Fire Emblem to be a mainstream game in America, but in Europe the series is still fairly unknown, as far as I know, Awakening hasn't broke 100k in Europe. Hopefully, more Europeans will "find" this series soon, as it feels great.

I'm playing The Sacred Stones, as that was free game from Ambassador campaign, and therefore easy one to start with. I like the game very much, altough my I sometimes need to restart missions, as I don't want anyone to die. (Okay, I let Forde die, but he seemed to be pretty underpowered compared to other cavalry). I'm at chapter 12 now, let's see when I'll beat it. I'm eyeing Path of Radiance now, so that could be my next game. Or maybe not, as I don't own a GameCube.

I finished Sacred Stones!

Awesome review :grin:

Fun fact, the game has different endings depending on who you chose in the middle of the game:

Lyon was being controlled by the Demon King the entire time. Before he dies, he regains control and confesses to Eirika that he loved her. The twins go back to Renais and start rebuilding the realm.

Lyon managed to break free of the Demon's control... but decided, out of his own free will, that he would try to tap into his power anyway. Ephraim tries to reason with him, but Lyon answers that he foresaw that an earthquake will soon destroy Grado, and that the Demon King's power is the only thing that can prevent it. Lyon dies reviving the Demon King.

After the Demon King is killed, an earthquake does, indeed, destroy Grado. Ephraim dedicates his rule to rebuilding both Renais and Grado.

Fun fact, the game has different endings depending on who you chose in the middle of the game:

Haha, weird. I don't remember the ending to Sacred Stones very well, probably because I mostly played it in Japanese.

Been playing Fire Emblem on the VC. It's odd that I've never really felt the urge to replay the game, yet I'm enjoying it a lot.

As good as the series has progressed, I think playing a "simpler" version is quite enjoyable. No need to worry which class to promote to, or which skills to learn or pass down.

Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn are getting their OSTs released 4th March in Japan!

While I'm not the biggest fan of the series, that box set looks simply amazing. Very desirable.

No doubt you have it preordered, Lord @Ike?

Edited by Hero-of-Time

While I'm not the biggest fan of the series, that box set looks simply amazing. Very desirable.

No doubt you have it preordered, Lord @Ile?

Guilty as charged, your honor. ;) The Awakening packaging is a bit nicer but too early to compare.

That is just random as hell! Why now? After almost 10 years since Path of Radiance came out?

Does it mean something? (Certainly wouldn't mind a Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn New3DS re-release!) Or is it just Nintendo being their usual weird selves? Hmm...

Either way, that OST collection will be mine! :D

Does it mean something? (Certainly wouldn't mind a Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn New3DS re-release!) Or is it just Nintendo being their usual weird selves? Hmm...

Almost a shame this didn't happen as I want to play through PoR again.

They arrived on Thursday, not had a chance to listen to them yet.

IMG_20150305_185210.jpg

Intelligent System continues to randomly release PoR & RD merchandise with some new artbooks.

IMG_20160803_203419.jpg

I think Radiant Dawn's is next month.

Can someone explain the best way to level characters in Fates to me? I've only recently started playing this (trails of Cold Steel was too enjoyable to put down) and i'm kind of lost with the changes between fates and awakening

In awakening you'd level to lvl 20 then use a seal and change job (restarting at lvl1), rinse repeat and master seal at your leisure

With Fates thats gone, levels don't change and it seems you don't get as much exp as i've only just got Azura to level 20 and changed here to a great lord, everyone else is languishing around level 13-18

I'm also a little unclear on relationships too, what are A+? and you can have S rank relationships with your sisters? and Anna? do some not generate kids?

Intelligent System continues to randomly release PoR & RD merchandise with some new artbooks.

You post reminded me that I had the Awakening book preordered from Amazon ( completely forgot about this). I'm pretty sure it was due to be released in July but I see the date in now October.

You post reminded me that I had the Awakening book preordered from Amazon ( completely forgot about this). I'm pretty sure it was due to be released in July but I see the date in now October.

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that as well. Just noticed there's a digital version available as well.

I had heard of the news about a week ago and my face became a lot like my avatar's. Looking forward to hear some arranged FE7 tracks (gimme Black Fang's Theme!), and I'm curious to see if the FE6 arrangements are new (can't have too much of Shaman in the Dark, or Beneath a New Light).