NEurope

In response to those who like to throw out figures regarding the number of games sold - wonderful, what a clever argument you formulate. I'm sure the sales of £3.94 value kettles, which undoubtedly sell bucket loads at Argos are also indicative of high quality.

The point is, nothing decent has been released in a while. Whoopdee shit for Mario Party 8, back in my day Mario Party was a respectable brand, not the lifeless pile of shit that it has now become. I imagine very few of you go out every week and buy a new release for your Wii, purely because there's probably very little that actually entices you. I'm not complaining about Wii Sports or Wii Play - I like those games!!! However, when Nintendo has a console that is selling this well, it makes you wonder why we're seeing the current trickle of quality games - after all, this is what the Wii was supposed to offer, no?

As for a "derailing", it's merely a siding, in which a few of us are baffled that Nintendo continues to perform so well despite releasing unprecedented amount of dressed-in-gold shit. I think a mere comment of our stunned amazement would lead to a very boring forum discussion.

Amazing news for Nintendo! Can you imagine if they got more stock in? God that is ridiculous.

That and the success of Left 4 Dead really have blown my mind. I mean, L4D outselling R2, the PS3's biggest holiday game?! Mental.

Oh, and great 360 sales aswell, though it could have been higher i reckon. Really looks like they've made strong inroads to beating Sony. I mean, this time last year people were going 'we've had Halo 3, there's nothing left for the 360 to drive sales'....well yeah they must feel stupid. Awful month for Sony, great times for Nintendo and Microsoft (especially Microsofts software figures jesus).

Mirror's Egde, Banjo: N&B & LBP bombed in the US. :(

I was most surprised that Mirror's Edge did, the demo was fantastic.

PS3 won't sell until they give it a price cut now, when you're the most expensive console in a recession you're going to suffer. It's far from dead or whatever though, once it's down to $250 / $300 sales will pick up, won't compete with the Wii or anything but we realised that a long time ago, and there is no real reason we should expect it to.

But yeah, nothing new or surprising really.

I was most surprised that Mirror's Edge did, the demo was fantastic.

platformer games are dieing this gen. :sad:

Yey, all the idiots spouting the same untrue bullshit have come out to play on a positive Wi thread - wahoo!!!!!

I hate all this shitting on NIntendo fans bullshit! I'm a Nintendo fan and don't feel shat on! It's like all the pompous, pretentious Starwars fans who were "raped" with the new trilogy - high and mighty fucks who remember the "good old days" before their (Lucas/Nintendo) soul was lost!! Stick to your generic bullshit on your 360 and stick to the thread - it's the same people who come on JUST to moan and slag off the Wii. You know what, some of us love the Wii, why do you have to shit on all the parades?

Rant.Over.

Geez, 2 million in November. What will December be, 3 million?

An according to the worldwide weekly chart for the last week in November, Nintendo is cleaning up big style. http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php

Seeing Mario Kart sat at No.3 outselling a game thats only been out 3 weeks, you have to smile.

I will have owned a Wii for 2 years in January and have a current game collection that covers all genres I'm interested in.

Two games that go down as two of my all time faves.

Super Mario Galaxy - collected all 241 stars, loved every minute of it. Considering doing it all over again.

Mario Kart Wii - I got this in April and am playing it more now than when i got it. That is how good it is. Never has a game had me keep coming back.

I must of put around 300 hours into it.

Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

Alone among the three major videogame consoles, sales of the PS3 are down about 19% from November 2007, according to the latest stats from the NPD Group. Sony was only able to sell 378,000 PS3s this November, compared to 466,000 last year.

And the problem for Sony isn't the recession, it's the PS3. Microsoft (MSFT) put up respectable numbers with its Xbox 360, selling 836,000 units vs 777,000 in November 2007. And Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii continues to dominate the market, more than doubling sales from 981,000 to 2.04 million.

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?

It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.

The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

There's really only one option left for Sony to remain in the game: deep price cuts, and not just for people with good credit. Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy.

Sony placed a considerable publicity campaign behind LittleBigPlanet, and the Media Molecule-developed PlayStation 3 exclusive generated lots of buzz. It didn't make November's top 10 titles, though -- so how did it sell?

Well, LBP moved 141,000 units in the United States during November 2008, according to figures provided to Gamasutra by the NPD Group. The title had debuted eighth in the October console software sales charts with 215,000 units sold.

November's weaker showing dropped the title out of the top 20 across all consoles. Across all PlayStation 3 software in November, though, LittleBigPlanet was ranked fourth behind Activision's Call of Duty: World at War, Sony's own Resistance 2, and Midway's brawler, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

Choze was the only one missing, now we can start the party. I'm not even gonna participate as this will be retarded as usual, just a little sweet for you Choze:

If you read the article I posted their approach was wrong from the beginning.

But the approach EA were giving Wii was wrong as well once they figured out it would be market leader.

If you are expecting Mirror's Edge or Dead Space to focus on Wii then i dont know what to say. I dont even mean this in a bad way but some Wii owners seem to want everything on the basis Wii has sold more consoles...

That and the success of Left 4 Dead really have blown my mind. I mean, L4D outselling R2, the PS3's biggest holiday game?! Mental.

R2 did not do so bad when you look at CODWAW PS3. The problem really is that they are outsold by 360 2:1 lifetime in the US (!) so software sales are that much lower. In Europe lifetime hardware sales are about equal between 360 and PS3. Goes to show how different the regions are.

R2 definately deserves good sales though, so far i find it to be better than COD:WAW. LBP is a shame but it was always going to be a tough sell to PS3 owners much like some games on Wii.

LBP seems to be faring better in Europe though. Its over 100,000 in the UK alone... It shows how low sales are in the US. Why? I dont really know. Maybe US owners are used to lower prices? Xbox has home territory advantage? SCEA are not doing a good job?

Top20:

01.) 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* 1.560.000

02.) 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 1.410.000

03.) WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 796.000

04.) WII WII FIT 697.000

05.) WII MARIO KART 637.000

06.) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 597.000

07.) WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* 475.000

08.) 360 LEFT 4 DEAD 410.000

09.) PS3 RESISTANCE 2* 385.000

10.) WII WII MUSIC 297.000

11.) WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 184.000 - 297.000

12.) 360 FALLOUT 3 184.000 - 297.000

13.) WII ROCK BAND 184.000 - 297.000

14.) NDS POKEMON RANGER: SHADOWS OF ALMIA 184.000 - 297.000

15.) 360 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000

16.) NDS MARIO KART DS 184.000 - 297.000

17.) PS2 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000

18.) PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 184.000 - 297.000

19.) 360 FABLE 2 184.000

20.) 360 MADDEN NFL 09 141.000 - 184.000

---

xx.) PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE 141.000 - 184.000

xx.) PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET 141.000

xx.) PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 33.000

I love the way the PS3 apologists/fanboys come on here and try to defend it. Face facts - the PS3 is over priced, over sized and full of technology that no one seems to want. The software is underperforming and the there has been just three blockbuster exclusives in one year - two of which have failed to capture the attention of the masses, and the game with the biggest hopes pinned to it -LBP - has flopped totally.

The console is the only one of the three home consoles to have performed less well this November than it did last November - it's sinking ship.

People talk about the Wii having a lack of quality software this year - well like it or not the sales of Wii Fit alone will probably be bigger than MGS, Resistance 2 and LBP put together. Mario Kart has now shifted over 10 million units and Smash Bros around 7.5 million. Whether people will accept it or not Nintendo are prodcing software people actually want to buy!

The only sad thing about the PS3 is Valkyria Chronicles - which SEGA should have made for the Wii.

People talk about the Wii having a lack of quality software this year - well like it or not the sales of Wii Fit alone will probably be bigger than MGS, Resistance 2 and LBP put together. Mario Kart has now shifted over 10 million units and Smash Bros around 7.5 million. Whether people will accept it or not Nintendo are prodcing software people actually want to buy!

I think, although a very good game (I refuse to use the term excellent as it does fail big time in some areas), Brawl mostly sold on hype and the fact that the core fans all bummed Melee. Not to mention that Mario Kart is a very well-established brand - I don't wish to detract here though, for it is an excellent little game! Regardless, I do mostly agree here! Wii Fit is perhaps the greatest example of this, given it's higher-than-average selling price.

I always get bored of these sales arguments and stuff, but ignornace annoys me more so here we go....

two of which have failed to capture the attention of the masses, and the game with the biggest hopes pinned to it -LBP - has flopped totally.

I'm sorry but how have they flopped? I mean seriously, it's been ab out 5 weeks maximum. Drake's Fortune took a good 5 / 6 weeks before it even recorded it's record week in sales, and that went on to sell over 3 million.

Specifically to LBP planet, it's taken a month to sell a million copies and has plenty more sales to go. I can't honestly understand how much people we expecting it to sell but it's well on course for a 3 - 4 million lifetime, something any third party title on WIi would kill to sell...

The console is the only one of the three home consoles to have performed less well this November than it did last November - it's sinking ship.

More due to the Wii shortages last year and 360 dropping it's price. PS3 is performing well for it's price, just not as good as the competition. It's Sony's ****up with the whole prce thing, just explaing why the others performed better...

But it's still software I don't care about, most people on this forum don't care about and the press reception to the software is generally poor. If Wii Fit outselling LittleBigPlanet makes it a better game for you though, then enjoy yourself...

The only sad thing about the PS3 is Valkyria Chronicles - which SEGA should have made for the Wii.

Because it'd have sold so much better on the Wii :indeed: .

Yay Flame War Thingy's, I missed this place.

Face facts - the PS3 is over priced, over sized and full of technology that no one seems to want.

But those arent facts at all.

The PS3 is oversized if your a quadrapalegic that cant lift 5 lbs or if you live in a cardboard box in which case you wont be playing videogames anyway.

The price thing is debatable. If you base your console's value on how mainstream its price point is, then yeah its overpriced. If you base it on what your actually getting, the PS3 is a steal

Lol at Zechs comment about the PS3 being overpriced. Seriously for what you're getting the PS3 is not overpriced at all. If it was overpriced they would have reduced the price by now mate, but they can't reduce price because it's being sold cheaply as it is.

And as for the technology comment, well I'm not a massive PS3 fan but I want one bad for my HD set...i mean HD movies, yum. And that's coming from a wii60 guy.

Owning all 3 consoles, i think the PS3 is a great machine and WAY better than the 360, which is the biggest hunk of shit I've ever owned as a machine! Great games for sure, but I hate the thing!

Wii still rules though!

Because it'd have sold so much better on the Wii :indeed: .

I'll tell you one thing, if Valkyria Chronicles had been on Wii, I atleast would have bought it. :heh:

Being deep down a Nintendo fanboy, I rejoice for this, I took that "developers make games for the largest market" crap during N64 and Cube and know Nintendo is still here better than ever and its getting this treatment?! I want every non supporting dev too burn in their losses for favouring another console.

Ok - let's deal with all this one at a time:

Firstly LBP - this is no regular game, it's the BIG exclusive for the PS3 this Christmas, it's had the super hype since it was announced, a massive advertising budget on TV, in mags and in the cinema and it's been out in October and November (only two days in October mind) and both months it has failed it get into the all format top ten in the US. It's also being outsold by games like CODWAW and Resistance 2 on the PS3 itself.

Now when Wii Music had a bad first month and didn't chart in the allformat charts in the US the net was full of stories of its 'epic fail'. Now Wii Music has sold 1.22 million copies and that's a failure according to the press and the web - and it's hardly Nintendo's sole hope this holiday season, then LBP sells less than Wii Music and it's SONY's most hyped game on the PS3 and it's a success???

As for making excuses to why the PS3 has actually slowed in sales terms since last November and the Wii and the 360 have increased is pointless. The PS3 is clearly not in short supply (the only excuse for stunted sales and one that harmed the 360 earlier this year) and it has had a worse November than it had last year - showing a contraction of demand for the console in the most important season of the year.

Next on to the software - the gaming press reception to Wii titles is generally poor as the gaming press generally dislike the Wii because it's a new approach which doesn't wholly centre gaming on people who devote their lives to it. Take the press approach to Mirror's Edge - most reviews read like a catalogue of what didn't work with the game, but the final score was curiously high in most cases, simply because a game like that appeals to the type of person reviewing it.

Now for the big one - all this nonsense about the PS3 being a steal - something's a 'steal' if you need all of what is being offered and you can afford it. For example, I would like a new BMW M3, lets' say it costs £50,000, I can't afford that - but the car dealer says to me that they've got a deal on at the moment; two BMW M3s for the price of one! On the surface that's the 'steal' of the century, £100,000 worth of car for JUST £50,000. But wait, firstly why on earth would I need two of them, and secondly it's still way overpriced for me as £50,000 is a lot of money.

It's the same with the PS3, at its current selling price it's way over priced for the average consumer and most of them don't give a toss about all the extra technology crammed into it. After all what's the point of the PS3 offering a free Blu Ray player when most people don't want one?

Also, being overpriced has far more to do with market perception than it does anything else, and with the Wii for £175 WITH a game game and the 360 PREMIUM pack down to just £169.99 the PS3 looks pretty stupid for a two year old console sitting on the shelf at nearly £300!

Being deep down a Nintendo fanboy, I rejoice for this, I took that "developers make games for the largest market" crap during N64 and Cube and know Nintendo is still here better than ever and its getting this treatment?! I want every non supporting dev too burn in their losses for favouring another console.

Have I ever told you I love you? :smile:

Now for the big one - all this nonsense about the PS3 being a steal - something's a 'steal' if you need all of what is being offered and you can afford it. For example, I would like a new BMW M3, lets' say it costs £50,000, I can't afford that - but the car dealer says to me that they've got a deal on at the moment; two BMW M3s for the price of one! On the surface that's the 'steal' of the century, £100,000 worth of car for JUST £50,000. But wait, firstly why on earth would I need two of them, and secondly it's still way overpriced for me as £50,000 is a lot of money.

Because you could sell on of them for near 50k and thus get the car for free....you need an accountant :D

Ok - let's deal with all this one at a time:

Firstly LBP - this is no regular game, it's the BIG exclusive for the PS3 this Christmas, it's had the super hype since it was announced, a massive advertising budget on TV, in mags and in the cinema and it's been out in October and November (only two days in October mind) and both months it has failed it get into the all format top ten in the US. It's also being outsold by games like CODWAW and Resistance 2 on the PS3 itself.

It sold a million copies in 5 weeks and has plenty more sales to go. Aside from the title's somewhat niche apeal, being a completely new IP and not being reduced when other big seller have been (See Fallout 3, Prince of Persia, Mortak Kombat vs DC etc) I'd say it's selling well. Were you expecting it to outsell established franchises like COD and Resistance? :S

Now when Wii Music had a bad first month and didn't chart in the allformat charts in the US the net was full of stories of its 'epic fail'. Now Wii Music has sold 1.22 million copies and that's a failure according to the press and the web - and it's hardly Nintendo's sole hope this holiday season, then LBP sells less than Wii Music and it's SONY's most hyped game on the PS3 and it's a success???

That's cause the press is stupid, I never said anything like that so don't bring it up. You sort off went off on a tangent there.

As for making excuses to why the PS3 has actually slowed in sales terms since last November and the Wii and the 360 have increased is pointless. The PS3 is clearly not in short supply (the only excuse for stunted sales and one that harmed the 360 earlier this year) and it has had a worse November than it had last year - showing a contraction of demand for the console in the most important season of the year.

I was merely pointing out why the 360 and Wii are selling better this Xmas. PS3 sales have slowed down which is a problem (And no doubt due to the 360 price cut and the current Recession), for a console in only it's second full year and at a high price point it's selling well.

It's going to have outsold the GameCube before even approaching a price point the mass market can consider.

Next on to the software - the gaming press reception to Wii titles is generally poor as the gaming press generally dislike the Wii because it's a new approach which doesn't wholly centre gaming on people who devote their lives to it. Take the press approach to Mirror's Edge - most reviews read like a catalogue of what didn't work with the game, but the final score was curiously high in most cases, simply because a game like that appeals to the type of person reviewing it.

The gaming press reception to most Wii games is because they're poor games. When they're not poor games they get good reviews (Shaun White's Snowboarding, Boom Blox, the big Nintendo hitters etc), but you see, they're generally not good games.

Obviously the press make huge blunders on reviewing games on both consoles, but it's generally a good way to find out if a game is good or not.

Obviously you're not smart enough to then sell the second one for £50000 and get a £50000 car for effectively nothing.

It's the same with the PS3, at its current selling price it's way over priced for the average consumer and most of them don't give a toss about all the extra technology crammed into it. After all what's the point of the PS3 offering a free Blu Ray player when most people don't want one?

PRetty much why it's not outselling the cheaper consoles, and why it's sales are good for the price point and position it's in. It's still great value though, when you think about what you're getting and if you want it. Hell, for just wanting the ability to play good games on, it's currently leaps and bounds better value then my Wii worked out, but that's just for me.

Also, being overpriced has far more to do with market perception than it does anything else, and with the Wii for £175 WITH a game game and the 360 PREMIUM pack down to just £169.99 the PS3 looks pretty stupid for a two year old console sitting on the shelf at nearly £300!

As you've said numerous times already in the post.

I absolutely love how most people on the internet make it an undeniable fact that Wii has very little good games. It's really fun, I love the "Wii with dust meme" too.

Not getting in this, just one thing jammy, PS3 selling good for the price point, means nothing at all, they're in the red, they need to do something about it. Maybe, and I really mean maybe, cutting the price would increase the sales so much they would make more money or at least lose less, specially since the "It's a blu ray player!" reason is now a moot point with stand alone players getting much cheaper. Sony can't use it's "selling OK for the price" as an excuse for anything. But like I said when PS3 was announced, Sony backed themselves into a wall with PS3, so asides from occasional spikes there's not much they can do.

I absolutely love how most people on the internet make it an undeniable fact that Wii has very little good games. It's really fun, I love the "Wii with dust meme" too.

Not getting in this, just one thing jammy, PS3 selling good for the price point, means nothing at all, they're in the red, they need to do something about it. Maybe, and I really mean maybe, cutting the price would increase the sales so much they would make more money or at least lose less, specially since the "It's a blu ray player!" reason is now a moot point with stand alone players getting much cheaper. Sony can't use it's "selling OK for the price" as an excuse for anything. But like I said when PS3 was announced, Sony backed themselves into a wall with PS3, so asides from occasional spikes there's not much they can do.

Very good point, I've seen Blu-Ray players for £150 - so with the price of the arcade XBOX you can get the two for the price of the PS3! So really it ain;t that cheap now even with the ability to play Blu Ray disks.