NEurope

Jesus H. Christ. And all it took was Patrick Stewart pretending to be going senile and Vernon Kay acting like a prat?

patrick_stewart_02.jpg

"Hell yeah motherfucker!"

^ And with the recent price cuts in the 360, Sony'll be at the bottom for a little longer. If those price cuts hadn't have come, the PS3 would probably be selling more units by now. I expect that the 360 may begin catching the Wii now because of it's lower price tag.

But well done to Nintendo.

It's great to see Nintendo back on top, even sweeter now Sony is at the bottom!

I'd much rather Sony attain 2nd place. Microsoft do not deserve 2nd place this generation- they pump out broken hardware, rely on First Person Shooters hued orange, and have little to no innovation in their software.

I'd much rather Sony attain 2nd place. Microsoft do not deserve 2nd place this generation- they pump out broken hardware, rely on First Person Shooters hued orange, and have little to no innovation in their software.

I agree, I'll be glad to see Microsoft at the bottom this generation. I expect they'll try and pump out their next console next year or in 2010 and get a few years headstart on Nintendo and Sony complete with Blu-Ray and motion-sensing.

Well it doesn't make much of a difference to me, as well as I can play games, I'm not the one making money out of it, but putting things simply, I prefer 360 to PS3, so I'd prefer 360 to sell more. Not to mention I dislike and disagree with most of Sony's business decisions and attitude and with that in mind, I'm a little fed up with the "playstation generation", although MS' viral marketing after Xbox The First died, soothed that down quite a bit. Also, 360 was a big step from the first one game catalog wise, although money hatting is not cool. On the other hand, 360's failure rate is unnacceptable and outrageous (happy with mine so far, don't wanna jinx it!) and they're completly out of touch with the Japanese market and their indecision as to how to tackle the new "casual" audience is unfitting of a behemoth.

Again, don't care that much, as long as good things don't fail enormously, there's no great injustice. I just wanna play.

(I'm hoping that discussing this won't make things ugly :P)

Tricky one. Ultimately glad Nintendo are number one again, very glad. Obviously they're a business and want to make money, but their decisions are based on gaming and pushing the industry forward and in different directions; for a business they're pretty unique with this approach. Whether you agree it's a good step is for another thread.

As for MS V Sony. Well, I hated Sony, the Playstation 1 was a good machine, but I hated what it spawned, lots of new gamers that didn't really know anything about gaming. Don't mean to sound like a snob, but when you've been passionate about something since pretty much the beginning and then millions of people jump on it's a little annoying, especially as I loved Nintendo games and everyone was all about the mainstream bullshit that destroys all compeition now. I hated what Sony stood for! But the MS came along and tried buying, successfully so actually a huge slice of the videogame pie. I hate this mentality, I hate what microsoft do as a business, try and monopolise, eradicate all compeition, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and I hated they entered the fray, I'm VERY glad they have lost billions in the process and are actually slipping; I can see Wii troucning them and PS3 beating them too. Saying that, their online focus has been very impressive and great for the industry and all competition is good competition. I think they reek of desperation though, rush releasing the 360, resulting in what is, quite simply the most badly made piece of technology Ive ever witnessed, loud, huge, faulty and ugly!! I personally find the game selection very limiting and hate their copy copy copy mentality!!

Sony on the other hand have really impressed me with the PS3, the machine is class, they're providing some great software and improving their online set up to rival LIVE and it's FREE!!!

So, do I hate Sony for (IMO) changing the industry forever in a bad way :) Or Do I hate MS for their money money money, copy copy copy approach?!?!

I'm going to say

Wii

PS3

Those figures seem very good for Nintendo, not too sure on how accurate they are though.

360 seems to be benefiting from price drops but across Europe as a whole it really has nothing to fight even the PS3 with.

Well done Nintendo - back where they belong at the top.

As for the 360 vs PS3 debate - frankly I couldn't care too much. I think the PS3, or rather the playstation brand, deserves to do better. It brough good CONSOLE games - GTA and FF being the obvious ones to the fore in the last generation(s). Microsoft is only getting a slice of that success because of their installed base mainly due to price and an early launch. Other than that both games are a poor man's PC. They rely so heavily on FPS's to sell and that in itself is incredibly sad - they're ALL better on PC. From CoD4 to Orange Box to Bioshock. It's just a shame no one has been able to "dumb down" the presentation of PC specs in a way that could change the platforms over-complicated image.

profit_or_loss.gif

WOW, interesting to see the loss made by Sony, Microsoft and EA. I'm really surprised by EA to be honest. Sad to see Ubisoft making so much.

Whenever i buy a game for the PC, I never know if its gonna work. Thats what i hate about it, even if i have all the requirements and above.

And some games don't work on the internet for no reason... :(

Whenever i buy a game for the PC, I never know if its gonna work. Thats what i hate about it, even if i have all the requirements and above.

And some games don't work on the internet for no reason... :(

They're pirated? lol

I quite love PC gaming, but it is annoying sometimes.

I hate the PS3 and Sony, and for me the 360 has had the better of the exclusive software on the two machines, and the better versions of the shared software.

Gears of War and Halo 3 just out shine ANYTHING on the PS3.

Ubisoft® reports first-half 2008-09 sales

• Second-quarter sales up 37% to €175 million, outstripping targets.
  • Marked increase expected for first-half current operating income.
  • Targets raised for full-year 2008-09.
  • Update on the games release schedule.

Today, Ubisoft reported its sales for the fiscal half-year ended September 30, 2008.

Sales for the first half of 2008-09 came to €344 million, up 31.5%, or 38.3% at constant exchange rates, compared with the €261 million recorded for the same period of 2007-08. Second-quarter sales totaled €175 million, representing an increase of 37.3% (43.6% at constant exchange rates) on the €127 million posted for the second quarter of 2007-08.

This performance – which exceeded the guidance of approximately €160 million issued when Ubisoft released its sales figures for first-quarter 2008-09 – was primarily attributable to:

− The successful launches of Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway™ and SoulCalibur™IV

(Europe) for the Xbox360™ and PLAYSTATION®3.

− Solid sales turned in by casual games including new titles such as Imagine® Teacher, My Secret World by Imagine™ and PlayZone™ Sports Party.

Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer, stated: "Ubisoft delivered a robust performance in the second fiscal quarter against an uncertain environment. We are carefully and regularly monitoring changes in the economic context in order to factor them into our market forecasts and financial targets. Going forward, we are confident that the video game industry will be able to continue its dynamic growth in 2008 and 2009, buoyed by the increase in the installed base for consoles coupled with the steady influx of new consumers. At the same time, we believe that thanks to the diversity and quality of Ubisoft’s games line-up – which caters to both hardcore and casual gamers – we are ideally positioned to continue to win market share in the coming years. Holiday 2008 will be another demonstration of this, as we are introducing a gaming experience for everyone with the following titles:

− Far Cry® 2 and Tom Clancy's End War™ for hard-core gamers.

− Rayman Raving Rabbids® 3 and the PlayZone range, designed to be played by the whole family on the Wii.

− Prince of Persia® for adventure-seeking gamers, and Shaun White for sport and snowboarding fans.

− The Petz® and Imagine ranges, designed for girls, and Jake Power™ for boys as well as the ENER-G sport range dedicated to the US market.

− The Planet Rescue™ range, which will give children the opportunity to take an interest in protecting the environment, as well as the MyCoach range which will enable adults to both learn and look after their well-being while playing."

Outlook

Increase expected for first-half current operating income

Based on currently available information, Ubisoft expects current operating income before stock options to represent a marked increase compared with the 3.4% of sales recorded for the first half of 2007-08. This rise mainly reflects the leverage effect on structure costs related to the strong increase in sales, as well as the favorable impact of the “Games for Everyone” range which requires a low level of R&D expenditure.

Sales for the third quarter of 2008-09 The third quarter of 2008-09 will be the most important and diversified quarter in Ubisoft's

history, with the following main releases:

− Far Cry 2 for the Xbox360™, PC and PLAYSTATION®3

− Prince of Persia for Xbox360™, PC, PLAYSTATION®3 and Nintendo DS™

− Shaun White for the Wii™, Xbox360™, PC, PLAYSTATION®3, Nintendo DS™, PSP™ and

PLAYSTATION®2

− Rayman Raving Rabbids 3 for the Wii™ and Nintendo DS

− Tom Clancy's EndWar for the Xbox360™, PC and PLAYSTATION®3, Nintendo DS™ and PSP™,

− New casual games for the Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ for the Petz, Imagine, MyCoach,

ENER-G (US), Jake Power, Planet Rescue, and PlayZone ranges.

Consequently, the Group expects third-quarter 2008-09 sales to come in at around €500 million, up 11% on the same period of 2007-08.

Update on the games release schedule

In view of the good first-half trends and the positive outlook for the third quarter, Ubisoft has decided that Anno™ as well as the as-yet unannounced franchise which were previously scheduled to be released in 2008-09 will now bolster the line-up for 2009-10.

Targets raised for full-year 2008-09

Based on solid first-half sales performance combined with a more favorable dollar impact and the positive third-quarter outlook, Ubisoft is raising its targets for full-year 2008-09.

The fullyear sales guidance is now around €1,050 million compared with the previous figure of around €1,020 million, and the guidance for current operating income before stock options has been revised upward to at least 13% of sales versus the previous target of at least 12%.

Recent highlights

Market share: In the first nine calendar months of 2008, Ubisoft was the number 4 independent publisher in the United States with 5.1% market share (compared with number 4 and 5.6% one year earlier); number 3 in Europe with 8.1% market share (compared with number 3 and 7.9%); number 2 in France with 7.5% market share (compared with number 3 and 7.5%); number 4 in the United Kingdom with 8.4% market share (compared with number 3 and 9.0%); and number 3 in Germany with 7.6% market share (compared with number 3 and 6.9%).

Breakdown of sales by geographic region

Q2 2008/09

Europe 65%

North America 29%

Rest of world 6%

TOTAL 100%

Breakdown of sales by platform

Nintendo DS™ 39%

PC 6%

PlayStation®2 1%

PLAYSTATION®3 20%

PSP™ 2%

Wii™ 11%

XBOX 360™ 20%

TOTAL 100%

Games Release Schedule

Third quarter (October – December 2008)

BATTLE OF GIANTS™ DINOSAURS Nintendo DS™

BROTHERS IN ARMS HELL’S HIGHWAY™ PC

CESAR MILAN’S DOG WHISPERER (US) Nintendo DS™, PC

CSI NY (US) PC

CURLING (CANADA) Nintendo DS™

DRIVING TEST (Europe) Nintendo DS™

ENER-G™ DANCE SQUAD (US) Nintendo DS™

ENER-G™ * GYM ROCKETS Nintendo DS™

ENER-G™ * HORSE RIDER Nintendo DS™, Wii™, PC

FALLOUT 3 (Europe) PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PC

FAMILY FEST PRESENTS: CIRCUS GAMES Wii™

FAR CRY® 2 PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PC

GUITAR ROCK TOUR Nintendo DS™

HAPPY COOKING™ 2 (US) Nintendo DS™

IMAGINE® ANIMAL HOSPITAL PC

IMAGINE® BALLET STAR (US) Nintendo DS™

IMAGINE® FASHION DESIGNER NEW YORK (US) Nintendo DS™

IMAGINE® FASHION PARTY Wii™

IMAGINE® INTERIOR DESIGNER Nintendo DS™

IMAGINE®MOVIE STAR (US) Nintendo DS™

IMAGINE® PARTY BABYZ® Wii™

IMAGINE® WEDDING DESIGNER Nintendo DS™

JAKE POWER FIREMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™

JAKE POWER HANDYMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™

JAKE POWER POLICEMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™

MARTIN MYSTERY (Europe) Nintendo DS™

MY FITNESS COACH™ (US) Wii™

MY FUN FACTS COACH (US) Nintendo DS™

MY JAPANESE COACH (US, UK, ANZ) Nintendo DS™

MY SPANISH COACH (US) PSP™

MY STOP SMOKING COACH WITH ALLEN CARR Nintendo DS™

MY STOP SMOKING COACH WITH ALLEN CARR (Europe) I-TOUCH

NARUTO™ THE BROKEN BOND Xbox 360™

NITROBIKE™ (US) PlayStation®2

PETZ® CATZ® CLAN Nintendo DS™

PETZ® CRAZY MONKEYZ Wii™

PETZ® DOGZ® PACK Nintendo DS™

PETZ® MONKEYZ HOUSE Nintendo DS™

PETZ® SPORTS PC, Wii™

PLANET RESCUE™ ANIMAL EMERGENCY (Europe) Nintendo DS™

PLANET RESCUE™ ENDANGERED ISLAND Nintendo DS™

PLANET RESCUE™ OCEAN PATROL Nintendo DS™

PLANET RESCUE™ WILDLIFE VET Wii™, Nintendo DS™

PLAY ZONE™ FUN FAIR™ PARTY (Europe) Wii™

PLAY ZONE™ MOVIE STUDIO FUN FAIR™ Wii™

PLAY ZONE™ SPORTS PARTY™ (Europe) Wii™

PLAY ZONE™ TV SHOW PARTY PLAYSTATION®3, Wii™

PRINCE OF PERSIA® PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, Nintendo DS™, PC

PUZZLER™ (Europe) Wii™

RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS® TV PARTY Wii™, Nintendo DS™

REAL FOOTBALL™ 2009 Nintendo DS™

SCRABBLE® 2009 (Europe) Nintendo DS™

SETTLERS® 6 GOLD (Europe) PC

SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, Wii™, PlayStation®2, PSP™, Nintendo DS™, PC

THE DOG ISLAND™ (US) PlayStation®2

TOM CLANCY’S END WAR™ PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PSP™, Nintendo DS™

TOTALLY SPIES 4 (Europe) Nintendo DS™

WAR WORLD (US) Xbox 360™XLA

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE 2 (Europe) Wii™, Nintendo DS™

WORDFISH™ Nintendo DS™

* IMAGINE® title in Europe

Nintendo should stop Ubisoft to make games for their systems. :blank:

Ubisoft released games from July – September 2008

MY SECRET WORLD BY IMAGINE™

Nintendo DS™

MY SAT COACH (US)

Nintendo DS™

SILENT HUNTER®: WOLVES OF THE PACIFIC GOLD EDITION (US)

PC

QUICK YOGA TRAINING

Nintendo DS™

THE SETTLERS® II TRADITION EDITION 2008

(Some European countries)

PC

IMAGINE™ BABYSITTERS® (Europe)

Nintendo DS™

BROTHERS IN ARMS HELL’S HIGHWAY™

PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PC

BROTHERS IN ARMS® DOUBLE TIME

Wii™

IMAGINE ™ FASHION MODEL 2008 (Europe)

Nintendo DS™

PETZ FASHION DOGZ™ (Europe)

Nintendo DS™

ENER-GTM MODERN DANCER (Europe)

Nintendo DS™

IMAGINE ™ TEACHER

Nintendo DS™

ARMORED CORE™ FOR ANSWER

Xbox 360™, PLAYSTATION®3

HELL’S KITCHEN ™

Nintendo DS™, PC, Wii™

IMAGINE ™ GIRLS BAND (Europe)

Nintendo DS™

IMAGINE ™ FIGURE SKATER (Europe)

Nintendo DS™

SCHOLASTIC ANIMAL GENIUS™(Europe)

Nintendo DS™

PUZZLER ™ (Some European Countries and Australia)

Nintendo DS™, PSP™,

Wii™, PC

SOULCALIBUR LEGENDS (Europe)

Wii™

SOULCALIBUR IV (Europe)

PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™

SPORT PARTY ™ (Europe)

Wii™

CURLING (Canada)

Nintendo DS™

PETZ DOGZ 2® (Some European Countries)

Nintendo DS™

CSI SUPERPACK (US)

PC

THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Nintendo DS™, Wii™

NDS = 16 = 39%

Wii = 6 = 11%

PC = 6 = 6%

PS3 = 3 = 20 %

X360 = 3 = 20 %

PSP = 1 = 2%

PS2 = 0 = 1%

And the Wii games are:

- THE PRICE IS RIGHT

- SOULCALIBUR LEGENDS (Europe)

- HELL’S KITCHEN ™

- PUZZLER ™ (Some European Countries and Australia)

- BROTHERS IN ARMS® DOUBLE TIME

- SPORT PARTY ™ (Europe)

= 11%

its going to hurt to buy, but i want Japanese Coach.

We are all sinners my friend.

Japan's Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) posted a 34 percent gain in operating profit for April-September thanks to brisk demand for its Wii game console, but the video game maker cut its annual outlook amid a global economic slowdown and a surge in the yen.

Operating profit at Nintendo, locked in a three-way battle with Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), came in at 252.2 billion yen ($2.56 billion) in the fiscal first half, up from 188.78 billion yen a year earlier.

The upbeat result had been expected after the creator of game characters such as Mario and Zelda in late August revised up its half-year and full-year earnings outlook on the runaway success of the Wii and DS handheld gear.

For the year to March 2009, however, Nintendo lowered its operating profit forecast by 3 percent to 630 billion yen.

The latest outlook is still up from 487.22 billion yen a year earlier and above the market consensus forecast of 624.6 billion yen in a poll of 16 analysts by Reuters Estimates.

Shares in Nintendo have lost 59 percent since the start of the year through Wednesday, underperforming the Nikkei average .N225, which fell 46 percent. (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka, editing by Dhara Ranasinghe)

www.reuters.com

TOKYO, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) said on Thursday it now expects to sell 27.5 million units of its Wii game console in the year to March, up from its previous target of 26.5 million units.

Sales of the Wii in the fiscal first half to September came in at 10.1 million units.

Nintendo stood by its existing annual sales forecast for the DS handheld player of 30.5 million units. The DS's first-half sales totalled 13.73 million units. (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka)

www.reuters.com

www.nintendo.co.jp

Wii Hardware
Apr-Sept 08 | LTD | Forecast LTD Mar 09
10.10M | 34.55M | 51.95M

Nintendo DS Hardware
Apr-Sept 08| LTD | Forecast LTD Mar 09
13.73M | 84.33M | [b]101.1M[/b]

Just don't buy it brand new, every decent person wins.:heh:

Alternatively, steal it! : peace:

Stealing is bad, kids.

Only six months till Wii probably become Nintendo's second best selling home console

Only six months till Wii probably become Nintendo's second best selling home console

Out of curiosity, at what point should it become the best?

Who cares? We all know it will be the best sooner or later

I think NES managed 60mil, with SNES hitting 40mil.