NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ipaul

Questions on Macs

Can anyone answer these questions:

1) Are macs really worth the extra money they seem to cost?

2) Will MSN for mac let you talk to people with MSN for windows?

3)If Macs really are so much better than windows, how are they better?

1) Well, depends on which mac your going for. The mac mini is absolutely awesome, and it's pretty cheap too.

2)Yes, you can. But everyone will tell you that the version of MSN Microsoft makes for mac is rubbish, use AdiumX instead, its really good :) (adium will also let you talk to people using windows)

3)Mac's are a hell of a lot more stablen no Blue screens of death

Mac's are beautiful

OS X is really awesome

OS X Tiger's Dashboard thing is really cool (note: someone should write a widget which tells you the status on Nintendo WiFi!)

All new macs come with Apple's iLife suite, which let's you edit movies and make music and all kindsa stuff!

Hope this helped!

Now something from the other side of the fench.

1) Not really. A decent x86 based system like a 64-Bit Athlon is probably alot better at multitasking then any Mac. With a Mac your paying for the name and the apparant asthetics. Your not paying for development, or research. Maybe just design. Because to be honest Macs are not as technically advanced as people like to think. It is near impossible to get a new Mac that can match the performance of a PC if both where in idenitical price brackets.

2) Yes.

3 ) Whilst Macs might be inheritantly more stable you need to remember a Mac OS was designed for a very specific set of hardware parameters. One Mac isnt radically different from another so there is less to cater for. Windows XP has to work with a huge range of computers from mear P3 Platforms, to Socket 939 64-Bit Platforms. Also Windows XP SP2 is a far cry from the Windows 98 days in which BSODS where rife. Also a huge percentage of Windows faults are user induced. Like poor software configurations or lack of maintainence.

It really depends on what you need it for - you won't play much games with a Mac but for working in the graphical sector it is quite good. Coding depends on the plattform you work for and to be honest WinXP is pretty safe and reliable if you make it right.

1. Absolutely

2. Yes

3. More stable (my iBook has never crashed. Ever. OS X is much more intuitive and user friendly than Windows. Better integration with your iPod if you have one. iLife is awesome. No more spyware or viruses. Macs are unbelievably cool. Excellent build quality. Everything just works.

Basically, buy a mac!

1. Absolutely

2. Yes

3. More stable (my iBook has never crashed. Ever. OS X is much more intuitive and user friendly than Windows. Better integration with your iPod if you have one. iLife is awesome. No more spyware or viruses. Macs are unbelievably cool. Excellent build quality. Everything just works.

Basically, buy a mac!

You know you can save a few hundred Euro and buy a computer with x86 architecture and just use a Linux distribution. Then you have a safe, powerfull and cheap computer...

...and you can play games (Windows + Linux), upgrade easier and have a massive amount of free and very good software.

1. Absolutely

2. Yes

Basically, buy a mac!

My XP hasn't crashed since I upgraded to it...

You know you can save a few hundred Euro and buy a computer with x86 architecture and just use a Linux distribution. Then you have a safe, powerfull and cheap computer...

...and you can play games (Windows + Linux), upgrade easier and have a massive amount of free and very good software.

Yes, because Linux is really easy to set up and use, isn't it? :indeed: Fair enough, it could be an option if the OP knows a fair bit about computers and doesn't mind the hassle, but the thing I love about Macs is the fact that you can just switch them on and go. No pissing about choosing a distro, downloading and installing it, creating hard disk partitions, having to trawl the internet for support documentation etc.

...and you can play games (Windows + Linux)....

Do not say that. Not all windows games can be emulated, and linux in general has always been a bitch to me, tried it about five times on three different pc's. Really, Windows isn't that bad.

Do not say that. Not all windows games can be emulated, and linux in general has always been a bitch to me, tried it about five times on three different pc's. Really, Windows isn't that bad.

Sorry I did not write very clear - I meant that you can play nearly every game on a dual boot machine. So you use Linux for working (it is not that hard to set up) and Windows for gaming.

Sorry I did not write very clear - I meant that you can play nearly every game on a dual boot machine. So you use Linux for working (it is not that hard to set up) and Windows for gaming.

Ah. Well, that sounds about right. But switching between OS's is a tiring task to do all the time, I found myself just staying in windows for other things too after a while.

Mac users have as much devotion to their computers as Linux users. Not much separates the two communities. You cant say the same for Microsoft.

Most people use Windows begrudgingly. They use Microsoft products because they have to use them.

If you wanna be able to upgrade and modify your hardware and strap strobe lights and whatnot to the insides of your computer and play alot of games - go PC. If you want a computer that runs smooth as a baby's ass with a stack of high end apps running, looks slick, is easy as pie to use, I'd be considering a Mac.

This helps quite alot now, just a shame i can't really get either right now as im skint and i really dont think my parents would by me one for christmas.

This helps quite alot now, just a shame i can't really get either right now as im skint and i really dont think my parents would by me one for christmas.

Congratulations, you've just wasted everybody's time.

Congratulations, you've just wasted everybody's time.

Luckily , it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I have been considering switching to Macs for a while now , and this thread helped to confirm that I was making the right decision.

I should be receiving delivery of a spanking new ibook G4 within the next week , so it wasn't a complete waste of everyones time (although my credit card company may disagree).

So thanks people.

I'm asking for future refrence, thank you. So, when i do get the cash, i might buy a mac now.

Luckily , it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I have been considering switching to Macs for a while now , and this thread helped to confirm that I was making the right decision.

I should be receiving delivery of a spanking new ibook G4 within the next week , so it wasn't a complete waste of everyones time (although my credit card company may disagree).

So thanks people.

Maybe you should have waited a bit, rumour has that the new intel ibooks will be unveiled in January/February and will be cheaper than the current models.

My mac mini arrives tomorrow and have been dropping hints to the wife to get the 20" cinema monitor.

Yeah anyone considering a Mac should hold out for about 6 months (if they can) that way you can claim the MacIntels fresh off the press.

Rumours have it that the iBooks will be the first to get the new Intel processors...

Yeah anyone considering a Mac should hold out for about 6 months (if they can) that way you can claim the MacIntels fresh off the press.

Rumours have it that the iBooks will be the first to get the new Intel processors...

You probably don't want a rev A Intel Mac though. You're best waiting until they've ironed out all the problems. And you've got to remember that in the world of technology there's always something new around the corner, so if you want a Mac now, just go ahead and buy one.

listen to fieldsofandroid, you know it makes sense!

Added to sig (with uttery retarded possibly deliberate spelling error corrected)

Luckily I was aware of the forthcoming Intels , but after being advised of possible early problems on another forum , I figured what the hell and took the plunge now.

Only time will tell if it was the right decision , although as others have stated , technology moves so fast nowadays that you are always running the risk of being a bit out of date.

Mac users have as much devotion to their computers as Linux users. Not much separates the two communities. You cant say the same for Microsoft.

Most people use Windows begrudgingly. They use Microsoft products because they have to use them.

hey i was reading this article, and i realised that i'd read the "don't underestimate the affinity for apple" sub-section before, it was identical to your post!

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/48095/

it's really interesting, you shouldn't be so modest, link to more of your articles :) lol unless you just did a lazy copy & paste, but i doubt that!

Sign in to follow this