NEurope
Retro_Link

Ferrari challenge

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7062/1/Ferrari_Challenge_Zooms_onto_Wii,_DS

System 3, the developers behind two of the Wii's launch titles, Gottlieb Pinball Classics and Super Fruit Fall, have announced that they've secured the rights to a new franchise, Ferrari to be exact, and plan to release a game within the coming months to coincide with the start of the next Formula One season.

The game has been announced for Wii, DS, amongst other platforms, and will feature different innovations for the respective platforms.

With Wii, System 3 will take advantage of its innovative controller to allow the player to directly control the car using the remote as a steering wheel. Immersion - guaranteed.

The DS version will support 4 player wireless races and game sharing, allowing friends without a copy of the game to join in anyway.

The CEO of System 3, Mark Cale, gave his views on the announcement, saying "Video games and racing have been my two passions during the twenty-five years that I’ve been in the business. Finally the two have collided and I’m immensely proud to be bringing the Ferrari Challenge to market this year. We have invested in the best development talent in the industry and I’m confident that the game will be even more impressive than the license."

The launch of the new F1 season is in June, so expect to see the game hitting shelves around that time.

Stick with C3 for more updates!

The Wii's getting another racer, which is a good thing!

Though it is from the makers of Gottlieb Pinball Classics and Super Fruit Fall,

so I'm not sure if we should expect anything all that great, it's difficult to know what the developers are capable of,

does anyone know what other games they have done in the past?

Also is this a BRAND NEW franchise or have they got the rights to the same franchise that saw Ferrari F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast? As that was meant to be a great game!!

IGN Review - 9.2

http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/articles/165/165388p1.html

The launch of the new F1 season is in June, so expect to see the game hitting shelves around that time.
Someone tell them that the F1 season has started!!

I think it's a new series of Ferrari-orientated games.

I have Gottlieb Pinball Classics, and it's fair decent, so it depends how much effort System 3's development partners put into these games.

The F1 season started today though....

yes it did...I fondly look back to coming in from a night out this morning and turning it on and just saying to my girlfriend over and over again how much I love F1.

I'm not one to judge games before they come out but a racing sim invloves a large team..But i may be shocked

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this. I hope it's good but there have been plenty of shite real world commercial car-based sims before. We shall see.

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this. I hope it's good but there have been plenty of shite real world commercial car-based sims before. We shall see.

Yeah we shall see, this could be awesome it could be awful though. I'm hoping we get another race to join excite truck as must have titles.

interestingly didn't realise that System 3 made the amiga classic Putty and quite a few other old good games, hopefully these could turn up on VC at some point.

Yeah we shall see, this could be awesome it could be awful though. I'm hoping we get another race to join excite truck as must have titles.

interestingly didn't realise that System 3 made the amiga classic Putty and quite a few other old good games, hopefully these could turn up on VC at some point.

Super Putty was released on Super Nintendo in 1993. Quite a good platformer :)

Super Putty was released on Super Nintendo in 1993. Quite a good platformer :)

Yeah I know...it did debut on the Amiga though in '92 if I'm not mistaken! and yeah was a pretty good platformer would love to see the snes version show up on VC.

And of course, who can forget that intro screen? :)

Super_Putty.png

of course! couldn't find a decent picture but do you remember the terminator carrots?! best game bad guys ever.

Some "promises"

The advantage we’ve got with the Wii is there aren’t any great racing games on there. Of course, on other consoles it’s a harder challenge. But rest assured that what we want to do is create the Gran Turisomo for the Wii. I can confidently say that the [DS version] is graphically and technically better than any other racing game. We are doing two (Wii) versions: one’s going to be with a steering wheel and one without. It will feel as good as any other racing game does with a controller. Of course, once you have a steering wheel, it’s got a much better feel. We are looking at the option of putting an accelerator and proper steering wheel in for the Wii version, because that’s one of the problems of the Nintendo controller - you either have a very loose system that’s very forgiving but unrealistic, or if you have it realistic and you suddenly flinch or something it could affect the performance. We feel we’ve come up with a very good solution to that. We have to aim our quality towards that title to ensure that we’re in a position to be comparable to GT. But racing against the clock is not the direction that I think the market is going to go in the future. It’s not our philosophy to sell something just because Ferrari is the most desirable brand for a racing videogame.

So, a copy of One of The Mist Boring Games Ever, but with a much smaller selection of cars.

shame it not a new F355 game by SEGA as that game seriously rocked. I more interested in the DS version rather than the Wii too be honest..

The game doesn't sound too promising, although a serious racer is a good thing. Let's hope for a surprise here.

..perhaps a little unrelated here, but I don't get developers sometimes. Over the last couple of generations, Nintendo consoles have been seen to have a dearth of 'realistic' racers. Surely wouldn't one developer (for example, Codemasters) realise- lets make Colin McRae Rally for Nintendo, there's no stiff competition so it's bound to sell.

I mean it's good to hear they are talking about a real steering wheel, whilst the Wiimote is ok for arcadey style racing, as it's lack of centre point helps to create this almost lose handling feel, which wouldn't work if they wanted to make this GT contender (which I doubt it will). I mean they risk making the game a rather niche title if you can only really play it properly with the steering wheel, but that could be what it needs to set it apart from other racers on the Wii.

..get a Road Rash game on the Wii.. riding along on your motorbike, steering with the nunchuk and using your Wii Remote to whack your competitors :hehe:

Hopefully this will turn out to be half decent. I like to have a mix of racing games in my collection- like Mariokart, Wave Race, 1080 and F-Zero, plus a rally game and perhaps a GT type game.

* thread ressurect *

First images:

10152395002007090817145ym1.jpg

18781117392007090817150xw7.jpg

21464532392007090817151ah4.jpg

11778837432007090817152ky6.jpg

21273074042007090817152si0.jpg

18501256922007090817152hd1.jpg

Needs work, we need racing games reaching the Forza 1 standard on the Wii (and at 60 frames); Oh, and I decreased their resolution into 512x384, the jepg compression and jaggies made it look worse.

Well at least it doesn't look as bad as Crusin' gotta give it some credit. :heh:

But yeah the graphics could do with a lot more work, I don't think it looks better than GT4 did on the PS2.

I'm quite impressed, not amazing but holding it's own.

Not that I will actually buy this game anyway.

Yeah, I'm not buying it either. Can you post the full size screens, or tell me where you got those from?

If they added some anti aliasing, and made the textures on the cars better, I think it'd look very good.

Yeah, I'm not buying it either. Can you post the full size screens, or tell me where you got those from?

If they added some anti aliasing, and made the textures on the cars better, I think it'd look very good.

Sure, here it is:

-> http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=13529

Bare in mind they're badly compressed; Still... I'm not even going to the aliasing part, it's the color's, environment, textures (guarding grid [?], Tree trunks, Tree leafs, etc) it's all bland and lacks color, lacks lightning.