NEurope

from http://www.GamesIndustry.biz. or http://www.eurogamer.net

Ubisoft has revealed that Wii sequel Red Steel 2 will use the freshly unveiled MotionPlus peripheral.

The publisher feels this accuracy-improving device will help the game finally achieve the ambitious sword-swishing goals set for Red Steel 1.

"Red Steel 2 has been in development for many months now, and this new device will help us be even more precise in what we do with the product," Alain Corre, Ubisoft big shot, told

"The Red Steel brand is strong - I think we released it on year one, and that people understood that it was a first try on new technology, technology that wasn't completely finished. And our game tried to grab the best out of it, and was a bit rushed to be sure to offer something in year one to Wii consumers.

"So Red Steel is a brand, and as with every brand we have, we now have to reach the top quality possible. What was missing was the preciseness of the sabre - and with this new device I think it will change the experience," he said.

UBISOFT LOL

RS2.jpg

Well, it's good news they realise the first game had its flaws and that they're trying to improve the sequel.

I bet they were waiting to see if Microsoft were announcing their Mii 2 Remote before announcing more details on this.

I kind of want to look forward to this, but the first one was simply horrific. A game simply shouldn't get worse the more you persist with it.

I was hoping this would happen. I quite enjoyed the first one, even with it's flaws so hopefully now Ubisoft, even if it's this one game, will put real effort into the Wii.

Also nice pic :heh:

Should be good. I hope it won't be as half assed as Red Steel 1 was. Exclusive FPSes are always win though, even from Ubisoft.

I loved the first one. It definately had its flaws, but the level design was immense on some levels.

I maybe in the minority, but I too had enjoyed RS a lot. Sure, it was rough around the edges and definitely a lot of bugs and design flaws. But I found the style a breath of fresh air for FPSes. If they can improve and fix the things that were wrong, add in an expansive online/offline MP component, we should have a winner at hand.

View it from this angle: Rather another disappointing Red Steel 2 than a Imagine: Red Steelz :D

This could be good as long as they don't force you to play the first one to understand what's going on. Might be worth a buy.

I'm not particularly bothered about this release but you have to wonder how many developers are going to hold back on their big games until wii motion happens next year. you may as well sell your wii for an x360 and rebuy it christmas 2009.

I predict promising trailers and good marketing but the final product will not be as good as they'll make him appear with some big flaws. It will probably have a really short lifespan.

It has been like that for nearly every Ubisoft titles (I'm not counting the Dogz kind of games which don't look good at all from the beginning) during the last years and I don't see it change in a good way.

I'm not particularly bothered about this release but you have to wonder how many developers are going to hold back on their big games until wii motion happens next year. you may as well sell your wii for an x360 and rebuy it christmas 2009.

holy shut the fuck up already... there are clearly no games worth playing coming out for wii between now and then... what are you, 8? grow up, for christs sake. the e3 dissapointment thing has been and gone, and guess what, the other 2 companies were no better (if not worse). If you dont like ur wii, sell it, and get the hell out of here. Sick to death of every thread in here turning into an"omg e3 sucked" debarcle. Its ruining good discussion.

Also ReZourceman, that shit was funny 2 weeks before e3. It's time to stop.

/endrant

"So Red Steel is a brand, and as with every brand we have, we now have to reach the top quality possible. What was missing was the preciseness of the sabre - and with this new device I think it will change the experience," he said.

Anyways, there's alot more that needs fixing as far as I'm concerned in this game. The precision of the sabre wasn't close to the worst of it. Trying to aim off the screen with guns was just impossible, especially if u needed to aim up higher. Jesus, just thinking about this game makes me angry! But, that said I'm interested in the sequel. :)

/endrant

You're right confirmed. (Ill stop)

I maybe in the minority, but I too had enjoyed RS a lot. Sure, it was rough around the edges and definitely a lot of bugs and design flaws. But I found the style a breath of fresh air for FPSes. If they can improve and fix the things that were wrong, add in an expansive online/offline MP component, we should have a winner at hand.

View it from this angle: Rather another disappointing Red Steel 2 than a Imagine: Red Steelz :D

My thoughts exactly, Red Steel did a lot of things wrong, but it was entertaining enough, and even though it didn't warrant multiple play-throughs I've been looking forward to more ever since I finished it, providing more time's spent smoothing out the bumps.

You're right confirmed. (Ill stop)

Your mum as a playable character confirmed.

Two can play at this game!

Ubisoft lost me at "gangsta style" but when first announced the first one did have me insterested and I've been close to buying it a few times. I've heard some say it's a complete failure and others say it's fun but with flaws. I'd have to try Red Steel out for myself to make any sort of judgement on the game. :)

Now if Ubisoft pull their act together and "try" with this game then I think it could do well as the first one was interesting enough and they need to adress and build upon there mistakes and also take their time and not rush this. With motion plus they should fair better and I'm going to be looking out for how they are doing with this one. :D

holy shut the fuck up already... there are clearly no games worth playing coming out for wii between now and then... what are you, 8? grow up, for christs sake. the e3 dissapointment thing has been and gone, and guess what, the other 2 companies were no better (if not worse). If you dont like ur wii, sell it, and get the hell out of here. Sick to death of every thread in here turning into an"omg e3 sucked" debarcle. Its ruining good discussion.

/endrant

Anyways, there's alot more that needs fixing as far as I'm concerned in this game. The precision of the sabre wasn't close to the worst of it. Trying to aim off the screen with guns was just impossible, especially if u needed to aim up higher. Jesus, just thinking about this game makes me angry! But, that said I'm interested in the sequel. :)

Wow, people take blender seriously?

Looking forward to seeing it!

Your mum as a playable character confirmed.

Two can play at this game!

So's your face! :wink:

Wow, people take blender seriously?

Yeh just ignore it!

We knew it was coming but its nice to see some news on it. I didn't hate RedSteel so unless the sequel is completely slated when it comes to reviews, then I shall be investing in it. Here's hoping for some good use of MotionPlus!

Regarding RS1, I agree with IMJ.

A funny little thing I noticed: In MP3, you couldn't keep your view upwards and point around. As soon as you moved the crosshairs downward, the screen view followed (I hope this makes sense). This actually annoyed me. And it wasn't a problem in RS1. Just a funny little tidbit when MP3's FPS-part is considered to be vastly superior to RS1's.

Red Steel isn't as bad as it's been made out to be. Certainly a lot could have been improved, but still no bad game. I have some quite high hopes for the sequel.

I also enjoyed RS. Sure it was falwed in a lot of ways but the controls were good enough to keep me interested and the levels and enemies were fun.

I think there's potential for a really great game here, especially with the Wiimote Plus.

However, I hope they improve the AI then. Especially during swordfighting it really annoyed me that skill was useless. Once I actually managed to get behind the enemy and tried to strike him but he turned in an instant and blocked my move. That is not good fighting design!

It actually made me quite furious and I didn't touch RS in weeks then.