NEurope
Choze

MAG -Massive Action Game

I dunno - the amount of quality titles now delayed till next year is rapidly growing.

If this carries on the only big games coming out this year will be Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2 ::shrug:

Last year was a bloodbath.

MAG's strength and weakness is that its a new fps type. Either Sony commit to huge marketing or not. In this case it sounds like Sony arent willing to spend the cash. So a delay makes sense. Lower overall potential for sales though, even a No.1 in January isnt much.

Sony's problem is that they are too cash strapped.

I can see the headlines already:

'MAG - proving bigger isn't always better'

'Massive Arse Gag'

No, I can't forsee the headlines, someone else can come up with a better MAG title joke. If they want.

I am in the beta. Its quite restricted right now. I am guessing the later beta will be more public.

So who is in the beta?

I see Dwarf/MattC 64

Beta Server Times: (i think) 5-9pm and 0am to 3am. This is so they can monitor the game thoroughly and in real time.

Well my download won't finish for one reason or another, usually my PSN times out so I'm going to try it overnight and hope for the best. What's cool is that I may be able to install my 250GB HDD tonight, I'll give that a go later.

Its a toughie if am not done by 9 then i have to play tomorrow as I need sleep.

Bear in mind you have to stick to one faction. To play with friends they need to be in the same faction.

So lets discuss who to join?

I tried Raven and they are basically VR trained soldiers with a high tech but very clean and straight feel. Their guns were fine and almost always black or metal, dont expect them to get stuff like AK47s.

Well my download won't finish for one reason or another, usually my PSN times out so I'm going to try it overnight and hope for the best. What's cool is that I may be able to install my 250GB HDD tonight, I'll give that a go later.

Make sure you backup first.

I like it, a lot. Classic Zipper from the old SOCOM's, Tactical and hardcore. It was a bit confusing at first, but once I got the hang of it, I really started to enjoy it. The only gripe I have is the framerate can dip quite a lot, but I'm sure ZI will sort that out for the final build.

Oh, and S.V.E.R for teh win!

I like it, a lot. Classic Zipper from the old SOCOM's, Tactical and hardcore. It was a bit confusing at first, but once I got the hang of it, I really started to enjoy it. The only gripe I have is the framerate can dip quite a lot, but I'm sure ZI will sort that out for the final build.

Oh, and S.V.E.R for teh win!

yeah it's good fun. I am sure others will also be impressed. I am trying out sver and valor. Prefer valor I think.

There is alot of progression by the way. Lots to do as well as faction rivalries. Seems more polished now too.

#I think i will be Valor.

Bear in mind your stats will be saved for the final game.

Old beta build

6s45e0.png

Take screenshots with xmb.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

I was impressed with that, so I thought I would give it a try....

MAGScreenshot-1.png

MAGScreenshot.png

It's a very dark game I found. Only played 5 mins though and the lights were turned off. Will give it another go today. Oh, and I sucked.

#I think i will be Valor.

Bear in mind your stats will be saved for the final game.

Old beta build

6s45e0.png

See hows that fair on new players who didn't manage to get on the beta. Personally I'll already be skeptical about buying an online only shooter and whether I will have the hours to pour into it...Its gonna be even harder justifying it bearing that mind, unless the sheer number of players come release (if it catches on and a lot of people buy it) means that it won't be so an issue...

One thing I found pretty interesting is that I recognised a few names of players but I can't qutie pinpoint where from. At a guess, it would be people from other forums and gamesites, and it had me thinking, with the amount of people that can play, it could really bring the PS community together...if that's possible.

Bastard of a download this beta - slow as fuck despite me having 10mb connection.

Left my PS3 on overnight and got up this morning and was only 75% done so had to leave it on all day while at work - I half expected my flat to have burned down when I got home.

So decided to give it a go GMT times are 5-8 and guess what - the fucking servers down!

Stick your Beta up your arse Zipper and sort you shit out.

Ah - feel better for that!:laughing:

The temerity! It's not like I wanted to play the game, all I did was sneak into a beta signup that only lasted an hour or 2.

Stick your Beta up your arse Zipper and sort you shit out.

That is the whole point of the beta. Unlike Uncharted or COD 4 2 this is a real beta where the game is still being developed. Take pictures of glitches etc. and post them in the forum in your email.

Today they added a resume patch.

It seems OK. Doesn't blow my mind because I can't really tell how many people actually are playing or where they would be on the map. Plus I don't have a clue what's going on for the most part.

The shooting works decently, I'm just struggling to embrace it really. It doesn't feel cohesive or smooth, now you'll blame that on being a beta Choze but I'm not sure some of the negatives are fixable. Maybe 256 players is too many. Plus no live leaderboard I don't think?

That is the whole point of the beta. Unlike Uncharted or COD 4 2 this is a real beta where the game is still being developed. Take pictures of glitches etc. and post them in the forum in your email.

Today they added a resume patch.

Really? thanks Choze I had no idea idea what a beta was - fucks sake course I know what a beta is! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice they added a resume today but bit fucking late for me - had PS3 downloading all night and all day - due to shitty download speed despite me having a 10mb connection. Thats inexcusable.

As for the game - hard to tell right now but shows a lot of promise. Would have to put some serious time into this.

Be nice if could have an NE squad but lets face in thats hardly likely to happen. We have a growing number of PS3 owners on this site but nobody wants to play together regularly. Ok a few of us played some uncharted 2 beta last week but when was the last time we played Killzone 2 competitively or fucked about on burnout or played (insert game title here) together.

The online contingent on this forum is shite - some great guys here but we really need to sort our shit out and play together. VGEVO have a nice friendly forum and I have been going there for some of their gaming nights.

I'd really like to play more with you lot but it's not happening is it?

Ok rant over.

In summary our online contingent currently looks like this:

chun-li-fail-1.jpg

or this

fashion-fail-drag-eggplant-1.jpg

or even this

jessica-simpson-impersonation-fa-1.jpg

Lets fix it! : peace:

It seems OK. Doesn't blow my mind because I can't really tell how many people actually are playing or where they would be on the map. Plus I don't have a clue what's going on for the most part.

The shooting works decently, I'm just struggling to embrace it really. It doesn't feel cohesive or smooth, now you'll blame that on being a beta Choze but I'm not sure some of the negatives are fixable. Maybe 256 players is too many. Plus no live leaderboard I don't think?

Nah in this case its just all new for everyone especially non pc large scale game players. So many noobs are running around like headless chickens. :D I am still learning myself. I keep reseting factions...

There is a basic guide here: http://www.nextgenboards.com/vb/mag-disussion/48647-m-a-g-beta-playguide.html

Best thing is just keep an eye on your minimap and objectives. The modes vary and some are quite conventional. Start of with the 64 player matches as they are basic BF. However due to being beta and the server you end up on you'll have limited choices. The 256 mode i did yesterday was amazing.

Clan wise this game would require many people beyond N-E's capacity. But we shall arrange something. We can join other larger clans. I am busy tommorow but how about Thrusday?

Another around of keys got out. If someone didnt get in let me know i have one spare.

I hope they open up the times soon because i cant really do much right now!

Make sure you post what your faction is. YOu connot lay with a member of the other faction much like a MMO.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

woop woop! I've been recruited to the BETA! just got the email...sadly its a 8.30 now so missed out on today...

woop woop! I've been recruited to the BETA! just got the email...sadly its a 8.30 now so missed out on today...

Good. Had slot of fun today. Despite losing I was doing all the objectives. Brilliant fun. It's like you are ina massive battle and your squad is doing one small part. If you do your ovjectives well you can reinforce weaker groups.

I get the flow if combat now as you have several factors that affect progress. E.g take out anti air for air drop spawns. Organised groups will shine slot so we should get together.

Which factions are everyone? Raven people should irgaise something.