NEurope
Daft

DC Universe Online

dcuonlinee3.jpg

"This universe already exists - we just have to open a door." So said DC Universe Online creative director Chris Cao, presenting the game at E3 this week. His team at SOE isn't creating their vision of the DC Universe. They're letting players create their own hero or villain and letting them come inside the DCU as envisioned by Jim Lee, one of the most successful comics artists of all time. You'll see Batman patrolling the streets of Gotham at night, and Superman flying through the skies of Metropolis, and if you're lucky you'll be able to fight with or against these iconic characters as you add your own chapter to the comic book world.

They've got decades of history, beloved characters, infamous villains and settings that some fans no so well they practically live there, but what sets DC Universe Online apart from other superhero MMO games?

The main difference between DCUO and a game like City of Heroes is that you don't slowly earn your powers. If your character has super speed, they are super fast, period. You don't have to level up to gain your speed boost...the Flash didn't have to ding in order to go from 60 to 70 MPH. You have the power you choose, and it's up to you to learn to use it. An example Chris presented was a character with super speed being able to run up a wall, taking them out of range of enemy attacks. You can do this right from the start, as long as you have the skills to pull it off.

Leveling with help you tweak your powers a bit. You see the mechanic in comic books every day...a hero learns some new way to use their powers. The Flash figures out how to create a tornado by running in a circle at supersonic speeds, Superman hones his heat vision to laser accuracy, etc. Other than those tweaks, DCU is a skill-based action game more than your traditional RPG. You want to fly? Boom, you can fly. You want to fly well? That's where skill kicks in.

One thing that really struck me is the use of physics in the game. In a game like World of Warcraft, you freeze someone in place and they are locked in one spot as a particle effect appears at their feet. You freeze someone in DCUO and they don't just get surrounded by a ice block-shaped effect. They become an ice block, which can then be picked up and thrown, The game is dynamically creating objects using powers instead of simply throwing lighting effects around.

Unfortunately DCU Online was not playable at E3, but fans will be getting their hands on the title soon enough. In fact, Next week's San Diego Comic Con will play host to the first playable demo of the game, allowing comic book fans the first shot at becoming a DCU hero themselves.

SOE is opening the door to the DC Universe. Hopefully what we wind up seeing on the other side will be enough to entice us through it.

thumb800x800_2679914521_72a74365d8_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2679913737_4560173088_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2680731464_23ba8202f1_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2679910701_ea4563e19a_o.jpg

medium_2679909331_4a5d4b25e8_o.jpg

I wasn't actually that interested in this until I read what Kotaku had to say about it. What does everyone else think? I think it sounds like a crap load of fun!

I would like to (actually I would like to play City of Heroes) but alas they aren't mac-patible and I can't be bothered with Parallels or whatever its called. Ah well.

I played CoH for a long time and I love the DC universe. If they do this right, this could steal many, many hours of my life away.

Is this PS3 only? OR is the PC getting it as well? It sounds awesome! I hate the levelling up in MMOs, it's such a crap idea. Making it skills-based is ingenious! And i love the idea that existing heroes and villains go about their business in the same world you're playing in! Stumbling across a battle between Batman and The Joker in the dead of night will be awesome!

Sounds awesome. There was a Marvel MMO planned at some point, and then it got cancelled I think... Also what happened to the Lego MMORPG?

Is this PS3 only? OR is the PC getting it as well? It sounds awesome! I hate the levelling up in MMOs, it's such a crap idea. Making it skills-based is ingenious! And i love the idea that existing heroes and villains go about their business in the same world you're playing in! Stumbling across a battle between Batman and The Joker in the dead of night will be awesome!
PC and PS3 I'm 95% certain.

yep defo is....

This has been confirmed as playable at comic-con, when ever that is.

woohoo! cannae wait! it might well be the first MMO i've ever subscribed to :D

Hopefully its good. MMO are getting better.

The main thing is there should be loads to do inorder to keep people subscribed.

I have my eye on The Agency as well. That looks fun too.

I still want JRPG Sony.

looks as great as ever...really can't wait for this. MK vs DC has really got be hyped up for it.

I really enjoyed City Of Heroes when I had that so hopefully this will be even better. Got to admit though I would have prefered to get a Marvel one but I think that was cancelled wasnt it?

I really enjoyed City Of Heroes when I had that so hopefully this will be even better. Got to admit though I would have prefered to get a Marvel one but I think that was cancelled wasnt it?

Yeah there were a number of issues with it and they decided to amicably end the project.

SOE Delivers More DC Universe Doomsday

doomsday.png

Announcing the appearance of Superman killer Doomsday once apparently wasn't enough for Sony Online Entertainment, who today deliver new screenshots and renders of everyone's favorite Kryptonian mutant in DC Universe Online.

I'm not sure why they didn't just release this artwork along with the video they passed along back in February, which got the comic book fan inside me more than a little excited. Perhaps the new release is in response to Doomsday's ridiculous appearance on Smallville. In the teen TV drama the incredibly powerful villain has been reduced to a guy living in Chloe's basement, feeding his murderous rage with the random thugs who show up to take out Clark Kent's gal pal when they conveniently stand too close to the basement door. The poor guy can't even dispose of his own bodies, requiring the plucky ex-reporter haul out bloody bags of trash to the dumpster.

I suppose when you're filled to the brim with Superman killing power you're somehwhat above doing the chores.

http://kotaku.com/5232857/soe-delivers-more-dc-universe-doomsday

Looking good.

Only noticed this just now but IGN did a preview of the game at E3 this year and it got a November release date in the US:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1093790p1.html

So who is still planning on getting this and for what format?

Im still planning on picking it up for PS3 so it'd be cool if there were quite a few other N-E members that are doing the same.

I love DC. I want to get this for the PS3. Want to read more about it, though. Get some details.

I will get it for the PS3 if it doesn't suck as much as I expect it to.

Honestly, if anyone's seen the trailers on the PS Store, they'd be instantly put off.

I saw them.

I watched this vid and it actually looked quite cool:

Certainly has me interested again.

Sign for the beta if you like:

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/

I watched this vid and it actually looked quite cool:

Certainly has me interested again.

Yep i am quite excited for this one. Its looking very interesting. More info throughout Comic Con. I am going to join the bad guys thats for sure :p

Pre order bonuses:

4811291429_4a09123848_b.jpg

4811915754_5f5ec78da8_b.jpg

Edited by Choze

I am going to join the bad guys thats for sure :p

You cheeky devil, you! ;)

Game described as 'Action MMO'. Very fast paced. Realtime combat. Can use scenery and objects as weapons.

Some cool stuff like when something drops you can equip stats but keep the look of your current item. So you control your 'look'.

Arena mode(player v player) lets you play with iconic characters. Separate from normal pvp.

In PVE you start off as year 1. So more retro looks for everything etc. As you progress events occur and game opens up you become much more powerful etc. Endgame sounds much like other MMO's.

PS3 control scheme: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/krypt0nian/6baacead.png

Nice new cg vid:

I have no idea who some of the villains are in this vid. Can anyone give a list of who's who?

That trailer is awesome, about 100x more awesome than what the actual game is like.