NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Reccomend a dongle for using with my Wii and DS

Im going to be moving back to my parents for a bit soon, at the monent I have the internet and a use my flatmates wireless router to play my DS and Wii online. However when I move back to my parents I will have the internet there but it will proberbly be to much fuss / to problematic to set up a wireless router there for the consoles (don't ask lol) but of course theres the option of a wireless dongle (gotta love that word lol) on my PC.

Does anyone else go online with DS/Wii this way, could you reccomend the dongle you use? does anyone use the offical Nintendo one? I thought about ordering this from Amazon but it has lots of negitive reviews there (as well as good ones) but a lot of those are about problems I wont have (zone alarm issues -dont have that software, 'no facility for setting a proxy'- won't need to do that etc) and it is expensive compared to other dongles.

Anyone use the official Nintendo dongle? how is it for you?

Any feedback on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

A wired internet access is an option too (for the wii).... If you would be any way inclined to do that?

All you need is an adaptor. You can also get em cheap on ebay.

If you use the official dongle then the PC will have to be on at the same time as the Wii, so why not get a simple Buffalo router and it'll be a cynch to set up unless you're miles away from the broadband connection.

I would highly recommend the router root. Dongle's are not stable most of the time and there can be some serious issues with ICS (internet connection sharing which is built into Windows) on some machines.

Ditch your ADSL modem, buy a wireless/wired router and off you go.

I would highly recommend the router root. Dongle's are not stable most of the time and there can be some serious issues with ICS (internet connection sharing which is built into Windows) on some machines.

Ditch your ADSL modem, buy a wireless/wired router and off you go.

router root haha epic :D

My wired connection gave me NO bother whatsoever. I connect router > adaptor > wii

The only thing that made it complex was having to add manual IP's but most people don't need to do that anyway!

I use my router for the Wii, but because the DS didn't support WPA security I bought a wireless dongle, which works perfectly.

I have one, the official one actually. I wouldn't suggest getting one. Normally I would be the buggers are so tempremental that it's really not worth the 20/30quid.

Recently mine has decided to re-name the wii into japanese or something and I doubt it will be used much longer, although I'm not sure if I can use my university connection (wired, THANK GOD!) for my wii/DS so hopefully it keeps working.

If you really need to buy one however, just bare in mind it's a 50/50 change of whether it'll break on you within the first week. Luckily I don't use mine that much to warrant it breaking.

I have one, the official one actually. I wouldn't suggest getting one. Normally I would be the buggers are so tempremental that it's really not worth the 20/30quid.

Recently mine has decided to re-name the wii into japanese or something and I doubt it will be used much longer, although I'm not sure if I can use my university connection (wired, THANK GOD!) for my wii/DS so hopefully it keeps working.

If you really need to buy one however, just bare in mind it's a 50/50 change of whether it'll break on you within the first week. Luckily I don't use mine that much to warrant it breaking.

Thats what happened to mine... strange...

Did it suddenly decide to stop working? I hope not, it's very odd though, although I can't check if it'll do it with my Ds as I've not used it online for a while.

The official dongle is terrible, I have to disable zone alarm every time I use it. Not to mention it makes the decision of when it wants to work and not me.

Mine did this, and then sadly yes, it stopped working properly with my wii. Strangely it always worked perfectly with my ds. Just the distance that it transmits the signal sucks.

And all this was after my laptop dropped at an angle, bending the dongle so much the case popped open. Since it was built so cheaply though, i was able to put it back together simply with nothing being broken, and usb bit of ther dongle being simple to bend back into position.

Personally I would use the dongle as a last resort, as I am the type of person to break the dongle somehow. Plus the issues the people above me mentioned.

Right now I use MAC filtering on my router rather than a password so everything works fine, none of this password not supported crap, as long as I can find the MAC code for the relevant machine.

So it broke because you bent it rather than it actually packing in? Luckily I haven't managed to drop my laptop, although it's such a wreck that it don't think it'll matter.

It's a shame it's such a crap device.

So it broke because you bent it rather than it actually packing in? Luckily I haven't managed to drop my laptop, although it's such a wreck that it don't think it'll matter.

It's a shame it's such a crap device.

Well actually it still works. Crappy with my wii, still does the japanese thing and only works when my DS is connected :wtf: but strangely the DS works perfectly with it. Shame I have no need for the stupid dongle anymore. WAnt to take it apart again and tinkle around with it but I will probably just break it even further, as usual.

Well actually it still works. Crappy with my wii, still does the japanese thing and only works when my DS is connected :wtf: but strangely the DS works perfectly with it. Shame I have no need for the stupid dongle anymore. WAnt to take it apart again and tinkle around with it but I will probably just break it even further, as usual.

Ah okie dokie ^_^, the only use I have for it is the DS or smash bros, but considering smash bros has so much lag with more than one person it really isn't worth it.

Sign in to follow this