NEurope
Ashley

Wii Speak

You are so wrong!
1176387326941vi8.jpg

Headsets make you look cool and feel like a hardcore gamer. Wii Speak makes you feel like a casual gamer.

With that said, I'm all for Wii Speak. It's the correct way to go and more practical.

I dont think it looks cool, its really way too bulky. And I don't know where u live but where I do the cool people arent the hardcore gamers...

Does anyone know if there's even a possibility that you can open up the Wii Speak channel, connect with 3 other users and then play a game? Is it possible. It's not chatting with everyone, but it would transform Mario Kart for me if I could chat to someone else!!!

No one knows yet. Only that you make a room and talk. I think they should though, no reason at all why not.

No one knows yet. Only that you make a room and talk. I think they should though, no reason at all why not.

Hardware restrictions, having a separate app running in the background of a game would use more memory, the Wii just hasn't been designed with that in mind... at all... why do you think it takes so long to load a channel or to return to the Wii menu? It's reloading every time instead of having it run in the background like the x360 dashboard does.

Hardware restrictions, having a separate app running in the background of a game would use more memory, the Wii just hasn't been designed with that in mind... at all... why do you think it takes so long to load a channel or to return to the Wii menu? It's reloading every time instead of having it run in the background like the x360 dashboard does.

I thought it was cos the likes of the Shop Channel and that have to connect to the Internet. Other channels like the Mii Channel open fairly instantaneously don't they?

As far as I was aware, it was possible to run another application in the background. Also that just doesn't seem like a good point about the Wii menu, afterall, why would the Wii menu run in the background when it's not getting used? With the Wii, it only uses the Wii menu to load a game or channel, then runs that alone since there's no need for a list of channels to get used when playing a game, just pointless.

And aside from the internet channels, I was sure the other channels loaded rather fast.

Linux is by default designed to do multitasking. So the only limiting factors could be the Internet connection and the RAM. Games do need RAM to function and I would expect a lot of the games probably use most of it. And with the internet connection, games like Brawl would end up so laggy with the added traffic that they would be nearly unplayable and games like Mario Kart that are pretty much lag free would end up lagging somewhat most likely.

Now, its possible that Nintendo has some of the RAM reserved just for this channel. And perhaps with a fast Internet connection, the lag wouldn't be so bad.

Its possible, but it still sounds very unlikely.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=64934

Amazing :) Cant wait!!

And 3rd party headsets confirmed!!!

This is why I don't like Japanese gamers. They get stuff so far in advance, but they never share information like this with the internet!

Awesome :heh:

Now i'm considering not getting Wii Speak. I'll see how far into 2009 it'll be before we get it or something.

And I don't know where u live but where I do the cool people arent the hardcore gamers...

hahahaha Too true! I prefer headsets but they make you look like a clown! The big question is will Wii Speak allow cooperation in games like Mario Kart running alongside the game?

Last night I used the Wiispeak channel to chat with friends in America and it was great.

There was a few connection issues (my fault) but the voice chat quality was excellent. Using the Wiispeak channel you can show photos from your photo channel one at a time and chat away.

Pretty fun-anyone else used it yet?

Last night I used the Wiispeak channel to chat with friends in America and it was great.

There was a few connection issues (my fault) but the voice chat quality was excellent. Using the Wiispeak channel you can show photos from your photo channel one at a time and chat away.

Pretty fun-anyone else used it yet?

Not yet. To be honest im still quite put off by my expereince with it when you used it in AC yesterday. I have at least unpacked it though and the wire is long enough for it to stretch to my bed so I can speak with it right next to me.

I just sent out a message to a few people on it, pretty funny watching my Mii talk. :grin:

Oh- and apologies in advance for my incredibly nasal voice, hearing the message back made me have one of those "I don't sound like that in real life, do I?!" moments. :heh:

I tried it out earlier by sending RedShell a message, seemed like it sounded ok. Did you hear everything clearly, RedShell?

I tried it out earlier by sending RedShell a message, seemed like it sounded ok. Did you hear everything clearly, RedShell?
Yep, crystal clear. icon14.gif

The sound quality of Wii Speak is much better than I was expecting it to be.

It also picks up multiple voices really well, just as it was designed to. Was kind of sceptical about that before, but tried it out earlier and it was great.

Wondering how much space the voice messages take up of the Wii system memory though. :hmm:

I know they're only 10 seconds long, but they've got to be using quite a bit more memory compared to text. At first I thought that little box that's on the wire was some kind of storage, but it obviously isn't as you can send messages to people that don't have the mic.

Hmm... what the heck is that box for then? :heh:

Red, I still have to wait a week or so until I get my bundle like I said in the message :P

Red, I still have to wait a week or so until I get my bundle like I said in the message :P
Not got that message yet, but no problem. :smile:

I'm not going to be online much until next weekend now anyway, as I'll be away during most of the week.

The Wii Speak channel is okay; but there's a pretty big delay. I mean with Skype and such there isn't anything, surely the Wii can handle this?!

Sound quality is good, but the delay is disappointing!

The Wii Speak channel is okay; but there's a pretty big delay. I mean with Skype and such there isn't anything, surely the Wii can handle this?!

Sound quality is good, but the delay is disappointing!

What delay? I had no delay issues when chatting with Americans last night via Wii speak? Did you set your sound to "Mono" and made sure your not using 5.1 Speaker setup?