NEurope
Cube

New Xbox 360 Dashboard

Had a quick go at the new dash! I never really use half the stuff on dashboard anyway - seeing as it's not even my xbox - so I'll probably relish the option to delete entire menus. Liking the achievement visability, and the weemii (whatever the fuck they're called) things are fairly fun, but limited to some extent. No blue hair (though hairstyle damn close) means I went a bit bonkers and just made a freak. Looks like there'll be some additional wardrobe items, perhaps as dlc for promoting new up-coming games. Would like to have some 'items' they could pull out and play with - like 'trophies'. Gold Lancer for owning gears 2 special edition... a katamari dude.. whatever.

Uh, yeah. The last thing is the in-game options menu that you get now. Achievements easier to access, and generally looks neater.

That reminds me; signout doesn't have an allocated button, and the 'shut down console' option is miles away. Mind you, I didn't try just holding the jewell down!

Once you get used to it, it doesn't look that bad.

And besides, everything that's accessible while you're playing a game looks and works brilliantly.

Mind you, I didn't try just holding the jewell down!
That still works the same as it used to.

In fact that's how I feel about the new dash... it looks pretty and all, but nothing really feels different. There's not really a lot to write about. I was disappointed that the avatars have elf ears but no interesting hair colours, and not much clothing customisation, you can't change the colour of t-shirts and there's no hoodies. There's ear piercings but no other kind of piercings. You can't move the eyes or facial features around like you can with Miis. But whatever. Also I've made my avatar into my new gamerpic, and on my gamertags online (even on xbox's own website) I seem to be left with a grey questionmark. *points to sig* Maybe that will change on official launch.

I do like the way achievements are laid out now. Install to hard drive, it really boosted the initial loading speed of Mirror's Edge, but after that I didn't really notice anything. Not even the noise reduction.

jayseven+NE.png

No idea how to do any of the images above. I just copy/pasted the url and replaced the gamertag.

After a little bit longer, I'd say that the main dashboard is actually quite a bit improvement. Except for the friends list (you can only see three avatars and one name), so you may as well just use the guide instead. The menu system (not the main one you see first, the one that has more details and stuff) is brilliant.

Hmm going to sound ignorant, but how are you all using this? Isn't it supposed to come out on the 17th?

Previews, dude. We signed up for them.

I got it a few weeks ago, everyone else got it yesterday.

Hmm going to sound ignorant, but how are you all using this? Isn't it supposed to come out on the 17th?

It comes out on the 19th.

Apart from the dashboard being moved around and the avatars is there anything good about the update, anyone know?

Apart from the dashboard being moved around and the avatars is there anything good about the update, anyone know?

- The new party mode. I haven't tried it myself, but 8-player chat. Plus if you want to, for example, move you Call of Duty 4 party to Gears of War 2 you can simply invite the to the Xbox's party system and then switch to Gears of War 2. The only thing you have to do then is change disk - you'll be automatically sent into GoW2's online mode with your party.

- The new guide has a LOT more options on it.