NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Konami Sues Viacom

Konami Corp., the Japanese creator of the ``Dance Dance Revolution'', "Guitar Freaks " and "Drummania", sued Viacom Inc.'s Harmonix studio, claiming its ``Rock Band'' game violates patents.

The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a ``musical-rhythm matching game.'' Konami also makes the ``Karaoke Revolution'' music game with microphones, as well as the ``Metal Gear Solid'' espionage game.

``Rock Band,'' the game in which players emulate rock and rollers with toy instruments, drove a 16 percent increase in first-quarter revenue at New York-based Viacom's media networks business. Konami's Digital Entertainment unit said in May it plans to begin selling its own rock band game, called ``Rock Revolution,'' later this year.

Konami is demanding cash compensation, plus an order that would block Viacom and Harmonix from using the inventions, according to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Marshall, Texas. The suit names Harmonix Music Systems, Viacom, and Viacom's MTV Networks Co., which owns Harmonix.

Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the company hasn't received the complaint, so had no immediate comment.

Konami American depositary receipts, each representing one ordinary share, fell $1.67, or 5.2 percent, to $30.15 at 4:02 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have risen 26 percent in the past year. Viacom's Class B shares rose 22 cents to $28.12 and have dropped 32 percent in the past year.

The case is Konami Digital Entertainment Co. v. Harmonix Music Systems Inc., 08cv286, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall).

www.bloomberg.com

Ah shit...

Don't ruin it now, RB was just getting good.

I doubt much can come of it. All they would have to do it argue that RB is not a culmination of the seperate parts og the different Konami games. Either that or they could argue that the games are sligthly different or that Konami are trying to monopolise it.

From the outside it seems like a pretty leaky case. I doubt much will come of it.

They really should make a law saying that you can only sue someone for patent infringement within 6 months of a large-scale release.

They really should make a law saying that you can only sue someone for patent infringement within 6 months of a large-scale release.

Konami are upset for thinking the world hates music games and keeping "Guitar Freaks" and "Drummania" for Japan.

24myucg.jpg

They made 15 "Guitar Freaks" and "Drummania" games for Japan now. :blank:

Konami are giving the world "Rock Revolution", which not made by the same developer that did "Guitar Freaks" and "Drummania" series. :blank:

As petty and annoying as it is by Konami, I hate Viacom with a passion after they decided Google was evil and sued them over Youtube, so they're forgiven.

As petty and annoying as it is by Konami, I hate Viacom with a passion after they decided Google was evil and sued them over Youtube, so they're forgiven.

same, i hope viacom lose lots of money

Sign in to follow this