NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Someone's ripped off my website!

Little help needed here, was wondering if someone had an answer.

As some of you may be aware, I run a driving school and I used Sandvox to design a website for myself.

http://www.idrivesom.co.uk

Anyway, while browsing through my statistics from my service provider, I found this site that was linked to mine

http://www.hither-green.co.uk/mydiv.php

Look familiar? It even has links to my site though not deliberately if you know what I mean. However, this page is not linked from his main page.

Looks like this guy has pretty much copied and pasted from my website, but how?

Not that I'm massively bothered, but it would have been nice to ask permission first.

It's like if an Xbox site copied N-Europe pretty much line for line.

Looks like this guy has pretty much copied and pasted from my website, but how?

View source > select all > copy

View source > select all > copy

+1, it's not all that difficult to copy and paste websites.

Is any of your website copyrighted? If so sent a polite but forceful letter to them, considering it's pretty damn obvious.

Not to mention that they shouldn't be linking without permission as you stated, plus half their website doesn't even work!

Looks the same to me, but are you sure you didnt make yours on an already existing template? That may be the case.

If not and you are aware that some one coded it specifically for your needs, it looks exact same to me, tables all the same length and theres some issues on the page in question.

Thanks for the replies, no it's not copyrighted - how would I go about doing this?

I used Sandvox which is a WYSIWYG web design program, so I suppose it would be done off a template, but all the text that's on there, like all the bullet points on the right have been copied and pasted, and all the other text has just been altered slightly.

It doesn't look like he's published it properly yet, so if I copyright it now, will it still be ok?

Like I said before, it's no big deal, but it's annoying that I put all that work into making my site, only for someone to just copy and paste what I've done without even asking first.

Thanks for the replies, no it's not copyrighted - how would I go about doing this?

I used Sandvox which is a WYSIWYG web design program, so I suppose it would be done off a template, but all the text that's on there, like all the bullet points on the right have been copied and pasted, and all the other text has just been altered slightly.

Yup, you cant do a thing about it mate. No copyright = No action can be taken.

Ofcourse, theres always the kind email?

Yup, you cant do a thing about it mate. No copyright = No action can be taken.

Ofcourse, theres always the kind email?

I'd agree here, especially if its from a template.

Well, if I copyright now then it should be ok for if he does completely change his site. It looks like he's only toying around with it at the minute as the site's not complete.

How do I copyright a website??

Well, if I copyright now then it should be ok for if he does completely change his site. It looks like he's only toying around with it at the minute as the site's not complete.

How do I copyright a website??

I'm not sure if you can copyright it looking at the situation, if theres a preset template then its owned by some one else, however I'm sure you can copyright the content, but then again, I'm not 100%, as content is ever changing etc.

Yeah, well thanks for your help.

I suppose I'll just take it as flattery that someone likes my website so much that they want to copy it!!

I'd copyright your stuff, but not the template likes been said. There's no need to copy your stuff at all and I would still send them an email asking them to remove it AND the links considering they are trying to imply that you will give them the free CDs to send out.

Other than that I wouldn't worry about it, yours looks alot better and actually works.

You do know copyright is owned by default, you don't pay for it, there's no official process, you just own your own work and it's yours unless you say otherwise, it's just really hard to defend unless you have a pack of rabid lawyers

You do know copyright is owned by default, you don't pay for it, there's no official process, you just own your own work and it's yours unless you say otherwise, it's just really hard to defend unless you have a pack of rabid lawyers

Ayup, unless you say otherwise, everything you write becomes copyrighted to you automatically. I suppose you could always try complaining and see if they do anything.

Ayup, unless you say otherwise, everything you write becomes copyrighted to you automatically. I suppose you could always try complaining and see if they do anything.

Super, as always, is correct :)

You published it to the public which means you own copyright, but you can pay to have it legislated by the government.

Untitled-1.jpg

Plagiarism!!

Although it just looks like someone is just getting started and doesn't really know how to put together a website. She probably just copied the template of your site as a guide. Also it doesn't look like alot of work has been done on it so it still might meander away from your design in time.

Dog is she in your area? As in is she your direct competition? If not would it be so bad if she took it as a template and modified it quite a bit like martinist is suggesting?

Not to mention that they shouldn't be linking without permission as you stated, plus half their website doesn't even work!

Linking without permition is a joke. Seriously, linking isnt anything wrong, if anything its just increasing your google rank which is never a bad thing.

You don't have to get a copyright it exists as soon as your create something. If there is a problem you just have to be able to prove you created it first.

Linking without permition is a joke. Seriously, linking isnt anything wrong, if anything its just increasing your google rank which is never a bad thing.

No, but then the website is false advertising, because of the way they have portrayed it as though the green website gets the free CD's and gives them to their clients, which isn't the case.

couple of things to note: I wouldn't drive with "PETE" here. None of the links work, the images links directly to your site. As does testimonials, he has one tiny little mobile number as a contact.

With no prices on his site and everything linked is 404'd, I doubt he'll get much customer base from that, all in all. Polite email to him and tell the dodgy arsehole to stick it! If you can find an email that is.

Cheers guys,

No he's in South London, I'm near Manchester so not in direct competition!

Will see what develops!

Hither Green aint that far away from me, we can gather some forumers and go round there and sort them out! Rarrr!

On a more serious note, well, pretty much everythings been said. Hope you manage to get it sorted, cos it's still a pretty gay thing to do and I know it'd piss me right off.

I haven't looked at either site other than what's shown here but you could keep it civil by just asking them if they could mention that your site was the inspiration for theirs with a more obvious link.

No, but then the website is false advertising, because of the way they have portrayed it as though the green website gets the free CD's and gives them to their clients, which isn't the case.

He's most likely just not removed that yet, so that doesn't really matter if the site is a work in progress.

He's most likely just not removed that yet, so that doesn't really matter if the site is a work in progress.

It does matter! It shouldn't friggin' well be online if it isn't ready o_o

online = people seeeeee!

Far too many n00bs getting access to the internet and using the C+P function (to create websites) far too readily.

I learned HTML with notepad DAMMIT!

/rant

I would send a polite email and mention SOLICITORS. That might scare the cack out of them. :D

Sign in to follow this