NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
david.dakota

Two Controllers

Looking at some of the problems the new Baton Controller presents for some games and Nintendo's desire to make a tradition controller, I'm startiung to think that Nintendo should create standard controllers, along with the control peripheral for the Baton.

For example, a standard wireless controller based on the GC design could be bundled in the pack - along with the baton. This would send out a clear message that both are important as eachother.

To simplify things further, Nintendo could develop a method for Revolution to identify which controller is needed to play a particular game - perhaps the blue channel light at the bottom could flash?

EA have already stated that Revolution is not a priority for next generation - and with the masses of people who will consider these titles important to their purchase, Nintendo could loose a great deal of market share based solely on EA.

Understandably, Nintendo are looking at the Shell Controller, but since it is essentially a peripheral, it might send out the wrong message.

I reckon bringing out more than one controller will make things less simple, not more.

Part of console gaming's appeal to me has always been how straightforward it is.

Add-ons are not the way to go IMO. Especially when you've got parents buying stuff for their kids. When they see loads of options they'll panic and pick the most simple.

I would hope that the Revolution is bundled with the standard controller, the analogue stick attachment and the standard shell.

I think the package of the game would show which add on would be the best, but I agree they should pack the exta attachments with the Rev. Or at least some packed with new games such as Metroid or Zelda or whatever.

Also having a standard controller (such as teh Cube one) would make me very happy.

I reckon bringing out more than one controller will make things less simple, not more.

Part of console gaming's appeal to me has always been how straightforward it is.

Add-ons are not the way to go IMO. Especially when you've got parents buying stuff for their kids. When they see loads of options they'll panic and pick the most simple.

it depends on how nintendo market it.

if you look at the PS2 as an example, it has

1)standard controller

2)microphone

3)eyetoy camera

4)dancemat

as you can see, this is current gen, 4 controllers for just one of the 3 consoles.

do parents see all these controllers and think "oh no, too confusing, lets go for one with fewer options"

nope.

why? because most games use the standard controller.

look at jungle beat, and donkey konga. both use the drum attachment, but they can be played with a standard controller, although this isn't as easy as using just the bongo's.

bongo's haven't really been used, just 5 games afaik, but how many of us have them? I think it will be the same with these unstandard additions.

perhaps a dancemat style analogue stick (wireless?) so you can literally move to walk in game, and 2 standard controllers without attachments, for duel wielding ability, perhaps one hand to interact with doors etc, one to hold your gun. holding your controller by your waist and pressing the + pad / A button could cycle through a accessory belt/bag, so you could switch weapons.

um, digressed alot here.

basically as long as the vast majority use, or can use, the standard controller it should be fine.

EA have already stated that Revolution is not a priority for next generation - and with the masses of people who will consider these titles important to their purchase, Nintendo could loose a great deal of market share based solely on EA.

Where did EA say this? In fact on IGN there's a quote from EA saying that the sports titles will adapt well on this new concept.

And they're making a shell for the wand, so there will be a "standard" type of controller.

Yeah we definately need the add on to come with the revolution because I can see a lot of people not bothering buying it if they know they have to buy an add on it might deter them

I still don't understand why so many people want a "standard" controller. Why are people so afraid of change?

paradigm shift. some people just literally cannot get it. they look at the controller and try to relate it to games made today. it would be interesting actually to see the people who don't get it, do a mini study and see if something in their gaming history predisposes them to not getting it.

like perhaps a group of those of us who played nes/snes games, and went through to N64/GC from that, and then another group of those who started N64/GC time...

or perhaps it our favourite genres?

or perhaps even its less related. it would be interesting to have a mini survey, age, sex, IQ, level of education, hair colour, eye colour, favourite music nd film :P

but I think most people will get it in time. also perhaps those of us who think we get it, are getting it, but wrong? :P

I should imagine you can plug a regular gamecube controller in if they don't package a traditional controller. Notice in the Nintendo TGS announcement they said the "Nunchuk" style (that is, analogue extension and remote) would be packaged in the "standard release", perhaps we're going to get something remniscent of the two main Xbox 360 releases.

Sign in to follow this