NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Dreams of Penguins. Oft Kinky.

Sleep paralysis?

Reminds me of when I was little and used to have nightmares .....but it sounds like what was happening in my nightmares, I couldnt move at all couldnt speak, couldnt do anything.....now what I concidered a nightmare might of been actully happening :S

Sure that's not just your arm going dead because you're leaning on it? :P

When you sleep your motor functions are 'shut down' so that your body doesn't act out everything you're dreaming. Sleep paralysis occurs where your conscious awakens but your body hasn't recieved the go-ahead yet. It's like the total opposite of sleep-walking, and urban legends say that sleep paralysis led to several people being wrongfully taken to have died in their sleep, and consequentially buried alive!

I'm sure that's a bit far fetched.

Apparently you can feel very weird stuff though, usually quite bad though. Deep sense of dread, hear noises, think something is in the room with/to get you, even visually see something like that Some people believe it has been a factor in people who believe they're been abducted by aliens etc. Personally I think it's a state between awake and sleep, bits of both, but then I wonder sometimes...are you really in your room and feeling your body or just aware/consciously dreaming it sort of thing?

The most disorientating dream I ever had was about a week ago.

I went to sleep on a Friday, I then woke up and went through what seemed to be a normal day (I think I met up with some friends and went bowling...I can't remember it that well) then went back to bed. I then woke up and it was Saturday morning.

The most disorientating dream I ever had was about a week ago.

I went to sleep on a Friday, I then woke up and went through what seemed to be a normal day (I think I met up with some friends and went bowling...I can't remember it that well) then went back to bed. I then woke up and it was Saturday morning.

?

_________

I've only ever had sleep paralysis once and it was rather distressing. I thought my eyes were open but all I could see was darkness. I couldn't make anything out at all and then I realised my chest was tight and I couldn't breathe and I got really panicky. One of the most sudden and jerked awakenings I've ever had.

As for dreams lately, nothing. I've had a tabula rasa in my mind every night upon which to weave a story yet I haven't had a dream in weeks. And its been even longer since I had a lucid dream, which is sad because I love those.

I've been having more and more vividly gruesome and 'horror' dreams recently. A few weeks ago I had a dream, which is saying something as I still remember it, where a group of possibly Arabs/middle-eastern religious group were suddenly attacked.

I'm not too sure why as I had the dream weeks ago but I played a role of some sort of camera, I think. I just saw close-ups and far out "God PoV". The most disturbing was watching a man being axed continuously in the back begging for mercy until the nerves in his head were hanging off yet he was still somehow alive screaming in pain to let him die.

He was left as what looked like gooey soup on the floor.

Then last night I had a bother dream whereby I became a vigilant of some sort. Not too sure what these people did but I still have clear visions of me driving a knife/scissors into someones back multiple times...:confused:

I'm not always that violent though! After my vigilante duties I met some extremely attractive 20-something and hit it off apparently. We then bought a bottle of wine for my Mam and then I woke. Any dream analysists? ;)

I'm an amateur dream analyst :P

Violence in dreams can mean you're in a state of change - the conflict of the old and the new you can seep out in draems.

RAMBLE.

Rummy; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis :) yeah I think the urban legends I mentioned are definitely far-fetched. My dad thought there was someone in the room with him, pressing down on his chest. I was pretty calm and patient about it - I've had those endless dreams where you keep trying to wake up and you wake up in another dream. I had one that went on for so long that it got to the point I knew I was dreaming but couldn't break out (the wiki link mentions something about that I think).

I love dreams. I have vivid ones every night, can remember them in detail and often they're completely lucid too.

You are stuck in a hell, you don't know what's real and what's not, all you want to do is wake up and know that you're alive.

lucid-dreaming-inception-totem.png

I never have dreams of an epic scale. I've never really had a lucid dream, I've never experienced sleep paralysis. I've had the occasional great dream that I was disappointed waking up from, and I've had nightmares once in a while that woke me up in a sweat, but I've experienced nothing of the sort that you people describe.

Veery Interesting.

I guess I agree with the state of change happening. Essentially, I feel like I've been changing constantly since last April. I guess I'm no good at being comfortable so...

Also sorry Magnus I haven't :p The only TV I've watched in the last few months is half an hour of Friends in the morning and that's it. I watch random shite every now and then though.

I've always had an interest in dream analysis though. I have a book about it and I've downloaded some random things about the psychology of dreaming.

It's so fascinating!! :D

Edited by Frank

I've always found dreams incredibly easy to decipher (in general terms).

Well last night I had my first dream featuring a fellow N-Europe Member,

the lucky member was Nightwolf (Giggidy)

but it wasn't the naughty kind of dream, I just dreamt that she called me to inform me of how good a pizza hut she had was, while I then went on to tell her how good my Chicken Legend from McDonalds was.

I Have no idea why this came about.

Rummy; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis :) yeah I think the urban legends I mentioned are definitely far-fetched. My dad thought there was someone in the room with him, pressing down on his chest. I was pretty calm and patient about it - I've had those endless dreams where you keep trying to wake up and you wake up in another dream. I had one that went on for so long that it got to the point I knew I was dreaming but couldn't break out (the wiki link mentions something about that I think).

I love dreams. I have vivid ones every night, can remember them in detail and often they're completely lucid too.

Yeah, that's when it becomes scary, when you're aware of the fact you're dreaming but totally unable to break out, constantly in the cycle waking into dream after dream after dream, that's the hell that feels endless. It scares me so much every time it happens(though it happens less and less now) yet in retrospect seems silly.

I learnt a bit about sleep paralysis in my parapsych lecture(remember to buy that book i mentioned elsewhere btw!), I think a very prominent feature was the pressing down/difficulty breathing thing, but I've never totally had that(semi, i guess) and so I wonder the 'range' of SP, and wonder how far it truly differs from false awakenings where you know you're asleep(sometimes I'm both dreaming/moving a dream, yet aware I'm dreaming and can feel but not move my body, despite very great effort). Tis fascinating!

One thing I find very strange is that if I wake up at around 6:00-6:30 and end up going to back to sleep (until 7:00 when my alarm goes off), I tend to have really long and really vivid dreams. I can't really explain it but they feel more powerful than standard overnight dreams.

Throughout my dream last night a piano refrain/reverie/what'eer the right term is played. Part of the dream was the fact I loved it but it felt uncomfortably familiar. Found out what the song was on the drunken walk home.

Of all songs to be in my dream, the one I paid no attention to.

One thing I find very strange is that if I wake up at around 6:00-6:30 and end up going to back to sleep (until 7:00 when my alarm goes off), I tend to have really long and really vivid dreams. I can't really explain it but they feel more powerful than standard overnight dreams.

I get that too - it's almost as if waiting for your alarm to go off is some sort of hallucinogen.

Cube; I'm an expert at sleeping during the day. I am now conditioned so that I cannot just wake up straight away with my alarm clock - even without one, if I stir I'll just roll over and "go back to sleep." Dreams are definitely mroe vivid here - I know what you mean!

I do wonder if, perhaps, sleeping when it is light somehow increases retinal activity?

I think it's more to do with only just being asleep so there's more neurological activity going on. You get the same weirdness when you're falling asleep at night.

I get that too, happened just hours ago. Woke up, went straight back to sleep and had a really vivid dream, happened lots to me.