NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Animated Movies...

But I miss the old 2D movies like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Fox and the Hound... I loved them all so very much, and wish they would bring back the 2D animations.

Is it really to do with them being 2D though? They were just great stories with great characters and music. And they're embedded in your childhood memories. They're 2D because they're old and pre-cgi, but maybe if some of those had come out today, they would've been released as cgi, and been just as good?

Is it really to do with them being 2D though? They were just great stories with great characters and music. And they're embedded in your childhood memories. They're 2D because they're old and pre-cgi, but maybe if some of those had come out today, they would've been released as cgi, and been just as good?

I don't know, I just have a soft spot for hand drawn images. Because even the films I saw when I was older already (Hercules, Lilo & Stitch, Emperor's New Groove...) I still love. The art style is just so nice. Like with 101 Dalmatians, I love how you can see the sketch lines and everything. =)

....................................*breaks* ok so i was trying NOT to mention ghibli movies but even the more recent ghibli movies (dammit!) have featured CGI sections mixed in with the hand-drawn animation... i think CGI can/has become part of the process with traditional animation these days.

Very educational video.

I thing hand drawn stuff mixed with CG is really the way forward. The possibilities are endless. And the end results, as we've seen, are darn good.

After watching Beauty and the Beast and seeing the scene where they dance...

When the chandelier comes in (1:28) it just looks jaw-droppingly amazing. And so the "mixture" of both truly pays dividends. The ceiling and reflections of the dancing couldn't have been "drawn" in a traditional way -with the cherubs and their motions and the reflections and so CGI can have benefits.

As long as the story is as strong as possible that's what matters. And, frankly, there are a lot of CGI movies with the story coming second to showing off the animation. Bleurgh. Yet I guess the same could be said of some old school animation.

Gonna go weep now at the sheer awesomeness of that song...

I personally think that 3D animation is as good as 2D. To me neither is better but for the past 8 years or so we have seen a torrent of SHIT 3D movies. These have all sold well on the gimick that they are 3D and/or they have feature voice actors of grossely mediocre quality but high popularity.

For me, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Ratatouile (sp?) 3 classic peaces of animation, real quality stuff. I don't really like to compare them. It's not like I need to choose buying one over the other is it?

I don't mind 3D movies really, but there's way too many of them, and not all of them are good. Actually I only like the Pixar ones most of the time. =/

It's just, I miss 2D animations. There's barely any out there anymore.

And also, I'm all for a mix of 2D and 3D (like in that Beauty and the Beast scene).

From the Monsters Inc. era onwards, Disney/Pixar has been shite compared to Dreamworks.

Totally disagree. Dreamworks films are all shallow, irritating, cluster-fuck movies that almost entirely ride on pop-culture references (maybe this is what you like about them?) while trying to get a cheap shot in at every Disney movie every made.

Technical, creatively and soulfully Dreamworks is a sham in every way compared to Pixar. True Pixar have had some off movies (Bugs Life, TS2 for instance) but they go out to try and make fantastic movies almost every single time.

Totally disagree. Dreamworks films are all shallow, irritating, cluster-fuck movies that almost entirely ride on pop-culture references (maybe this is what you like about them?) while trying to get a cheap shot in at every Disney movie every made.

And a cheap shot at me O_O

There are exceptions to vot ai say. Naturally some Disney films are better, but they have pop-culture references. They both are like a CGI modern day Lampoon-esque films. Like Hot Shots, they have a plot, filled with little snippets of previously popular shizzle to give it some sexiness.

And a cheap shot at me O_O

There are exceptions to vot ai say. Naturally some Disney films are better, but they have pop-culture references. They both are like a CGI modern day Lampoon-esque films. Like Hot Shots, they have a plot, filled with little snippets of previously popular shizzle to give it some sexiness.

Actually wansn't meant to be a cheap shot. When I was writing it, I suddenly realised that you actually love all that pop referency kind of pulp-fiction-wannabe thing. Was just realising that that might explain a few things...

And the Pixar pop-reference? Can you give me any examples? (also just so you don't think I'm a philastine I plainly refused to watch Cars. Could see it was shit a mile off)

Actually wansn't meant to be a cheap shot. When I was writing it, I suddenly realised that you actually love all that pop referency kind of pulp-fiction-wannabe thing. Was just realising that that might explain a few things...

I appreciate alot of lovely movie concepts. But not all of them are shout-about worthy. I've not seen Pulp Fiction either if you're saying that also.

And what would this explain?

Would explain why you like the Dreamworks stuff. I'd see Pulp Fiction if you get a chance, Tarantino is a complete pop-culture whore (although only for stuff from his childhood) but that is one film that I recommend you see for sure.

Would explain why you like the Dreamworks stuff.

SOME! Not all, don't hate me. I am like you.

I hope pixar and dreamworks stop making crap like Wall-E and just give me more movies about animals that talk that do human things.

EDIT: That's why dreamworks is better they made Kung-Fu Panda.

Crap like Wall*E? Wall*E is fantastic, up there with The Iron Giant, it's few flaws are vastly outweighed by its beauty and its simplicity.

And to weigh in on the original argument, to me an animated film is an animated film, it doesn't matter whether it's drawn by hand or modelled on a computer, it's a huge undertaking whichever tools you use. And hey, neither of them are anywhere near as time consuming and laborious as crafting an entire feature film with stop motion.

Alice in Wonderland is awesome. And it's from the 50s.

It takes a dump on the book and dumbs it down beyond recognition. As far as I'm concerned, it's a curse.

As for the whole topic, I preffer none, I love them both equally, if they're good. There's great CG and great 2D.

The animation, shading and everything else is damned jaw-dropping in Dreamworks Prince of Egypt. Agreed?

It takes a dump on the book and dumbs it down beyond recognition. As far as I'm concerned, it's a curse.

As for the whole topic, I preffer none, I love them both equally, if they're good. There's great CG and great 2D.

Just because the book is much better, doesn't mean the movie is, cmon have a little perspective.

Sign in to follow this