NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Animated Movies...

OMG! I was watching Kung Fu Panda today (a chuckle) but then came home and my gf decided to watch Beauty & the Beast. i laughed yet somehow I was entranced by it.

It blew everything (of late) out of the water. (Pixar, Dreamworks who?) And even though it features CGI in the dancing scene, it all looked bloody great. Hand drawn animation will always be amazing and today there's a terrible lack of great hand-drawn animated movies with decent songs in them. How many talking animal CGI movies can they make?!

So, Beauty and the Beast etc... are STILL classics which most people would happily bring their children up on...but what's your opinion? Hate Disney? Love them? Think CGI is the future?

Thoughts? Or have I just gone soft from the "tale as old as time" lyrics...

I still prefer the old 2d animation. I dont mind the odd cgi from time to time but Disney had some brilliant 2d movies.

I do miss drawn animation, but they NEED to get rid of the musical parts. FFS not everything need to burst into music.

I prefer the new cgi to the old drawing type tbh. I love some of the cgi movies such as Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Shrek 1&2, Toy Story etc. They are all fantastic movies, especially Nemo.

I'm not saying the drawing style isn't good, I just feel I can get more "involved" with the characters in a CGI movie, it feels more real.

You still get 2d movies from outta japan.

Pixar movies still blow me out of the fucking water. Every time they release a movie I just say "wow"; kids movie or not I have to watch all of them if for the graphics alone.

Pixar movies are great; amazing animation and the story is usually very nice as well.

But I miss the old 2D movies like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Fox and the Hound... I loved them all so very much, and wish they would bring back the 2D animations.

Alice in Wonderland, Lion King, Alladin, Little Mermaid, Robin Hood were all great movies, but they were getting beaten in style by Japanese animation as kids started preferring those. CGI movies came as the obvious solution and they're great, I'm hyped for that WALL-E movie.

Toy Story 1 + 2, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Shrek 1 + 2, Flushed Away and Wallace and Gromit : Curse of the Were Rabbit are my favourite CGI/animated films. I've only seen a handful of 2D Disney films (Snow White, Alice, Hercules, Hunchback and The Aristocats), but I was watching some trailers for the likes of Peter Pan, 101 Dalmations etc before a film the other day and think I'll invest some time in watching some 2D Disney classics sometime over the Summer!

Pixar movies are great; amazing animation and the story is usually very nice as well.

But I miss the old 2D movies like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Fox and the Hound... I loved them all so very much, and wish they would bring back the 2D animations.

They're still doing them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Frog

Only not as much

I don't care that much, I'd rather just watch a good movie. I like CGI more than hand drawn animation, but when watching a movie, I don't really care that much about the visual style.

I don't think there's anything wrong with entirely CGI movies, but I wouldn't say no to more traditional animations making tasteful use of computer assistance. It isn't a case of either or, in my opinion.

As an aside, Hollywood seems to have some kind of disability when it comes to drawing the line at what should and shouldn't be computer generated; I think Alien and Jurassic Park are far more convincing in their special effects then more recent CGI dominated films.

Was Home on the Range wasn't it? I never saw it. Last one I saw was Brother Bear and that wasn't great.

I'm not a big fan of any 2D Disney film from Pocahontas onward.

Was Home on the Range wasn't it? I never saw it. Last one I saw was Brother Bear and that wasn't great.

I'm not a big fan of any 2D Disney film from Pocahontas onward.

Yeah, it was Home on the Range. It was just kinda weird, and the songs were meh. Brother Bear I still liked though. =)

I hope this next one is good, but apparently there's a lot of controversy and stuff around it.

The 3D movies are cool (Shrek 2, Toy Story 1/2, Finding nemo, Monsters Inc., to name a few. And I still want to see Wall-E)

But I still love the 2D classics. Lion King is my favourite, but it's way easier to name the 2D Disney films I dislike. :heh:

I do miss drawn animation, but they NEED to get rid of the musical parts. FFS not everything need to burst into music.

That's what makes Disney films so magical. The music in them is always great and catchy which is why children love them.

Except for Hakuna Matata, yes.

Lion King <3

I'm gonna try to watch some childhood classics this summer.

I have a Disney fetish. I just love it.

Usually so cynical, but I love Disneyworld and all that stuff.

The Disney Rennaisance produced some of it's most solid works; Little Mermaid (1989) - Lilo & Stitch (2002 IIRC)

Hand drawn animation [and art work = lazy twats] will always be better.

The music/songs is what made Disney films. Things like Brother Bear [Emperor's New Groove is an exception] were shite because of this. Then Disney and Pixar decided to rape one another and churn out some shite. See Cars for an example.

From the Monsters Inc. era onwards, Disney/Pixar has been shite compared to Dreamworks.

From the Monsters Inc. era onwards, Disney/Pixar has been shite compared to Dreamworks.

Huh? Even Cars is miles better than all of Dreamworks CGI films (bar the first two Shreks).

WALL-E > ALL.

i saw (half of) this recently (streaming FTL..) and reeeeally liked it. i cant wait to see the whole thing in decent quality!!

YOU sir, have obviously never been a 6 year old girl. :blank:

....................................*breaks* ok so i was trying NOT to mention ghibli movies but even the more recent ghibli movies (dammit!) have featured CGI sections mixed in with the hand-drawn animation... i think CGI can/has become part of the process with traditional animation these days.

i know it's not DRAWN, per-se but i love the animations by yuri norshteyn..

UPDATE: finished wall-e. *sniff!* might have made me cry... maybe, maybe not.. who can say? *runs away*

Huh? Even Cars is miles better than all of Dreamworks CGI films (bar the first two Shreks).

You are in error.

Sign in to follow this