NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

N64 Day 5+6. Ocarina Vs Majora....

What IS the better game? Impossible to say?

Well let us know as we head into playing these two classics for two solid days.

With Majora being the darker, twisted sequel did it improve on OOT's components or was OOT the better game.

Let your opinion be heard and we'll pick the best responses and get them on the main site. Happy discussing!

I'm going to get a lot of stick for this, but I always thought Ocarina was the weakest of the 3D Zelda's. As it's the "classic" Zelda by which all others are judged for some arbitrary reason, it's become generic in my mind, and, like Goldeneye, it does nothing special for me.

Majora's Mask is very different from Ocarina (and therefore "classic" Zelda) as it's much darker, and with a much more apparent threat - the frigin' moon people, the moon! It never felt as much of a chore as Ocarina, a factor helped greatly by Link's alternative forms, with the Deku and it's weird cuteness standing out for me.

Overall, Ocarina and Majora's Mask represent the boundary between old, retro games and the newer generations. Whilst not entirely surprising as Majora's Mask was late in the N64's life, in my mind it marks the point at which game's stories couldn't just be "generic arbitrarily designated baddy exists, defeat it". They had to be something more, something more compelling than saving Zelda from...something... OK, Wind Waker wasn't exactly that radical in story, but where Majora's Mask excelled in atmosphere, Wind Waker excelled in having more charm than a really, really charming...thing.

Don't make put one above the other.

They're very different and I loved both so much for different reasons.

Ocarina of Time was completely groundbreaking at the time.

Majora's Mask was way darker and I loved that time traveling system and the huge amount of sidequests. It also had some brilliant melancholic tunes.

OoT story was absolutely amazing and unbelievably fun to replay over and over. So I do choose OoT over MM. But MM was a very unique Zelda game which definitly made it fun, but the 3 day thing..got old fast.

I prefer Ocarina of Time, not only was it an incredible revolution and felt fresher than any game would ever feel (only Mario 64 can compare), I love the scale of the quest, the instantly classic characters, the music mechanics, villages and... well, everything. Not much can be said, a game that after 10 years is still considered by many as the best game ever was already discussed to the bones. Ocarina of Time is a breath taking testament to game design.

Majora's Mask, despite everyone at the time saying it was a carbon copy managed to inovate imensely on a lot of aspects. The most obvious being the mask mechanic which adds a lot of variety to the gameplay and the 3-day limit that creates a feeling of urgency and, together with the notebook, allowed for incredible gameplay with a focus on sidequests and original story situations, giving depth and spotlight to the characters. That quirky, dark mood is also unparalleled and is something that completly stands out. It's a game that managed to innovate again, mixing together very odd and distinct elements in an incredibly cohesive manner. Despite all this, there isn't a lot of credit given to the game outside of the more "informed" gaming circles and none of these special attributes were ever seen again in any game, for the better or the worse.

With that said, I still prefer Ocarina of Time, but there's no reason to pit both games together and say which one's the best :P

Sign in to follow this