NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mundi

Diablo 3

Some Diablo fans have started a petition as a way to express their disappointment about Diablo III's artistic direction. :blank:

I do agree with the person that made the picture thats floting around. One with images of what Diablo 3 looks like and others showing what it should look like. The one that it should look like is so much better

Edit: Here it is

1214657022122wu5oq6.jpg

I hope they ignore that petition...

Because as awesome as they are entering grim´n´dark room number 4627 makes things look a little samey.

Oh no!!! Color!!!!!

In the conversations the characters do look a bit more cartoony, but no big deal and it's a great way to make sure characters look good (let's face it, realistic characters usually look boring or bland) and that they also look good with different graphic settings.

And the backgrounds are among the best I've ever seen. Color is good people. Dark gloomy rooms are nothing special if the whole game is like that, contrast makes them special.

Neither of those look bad..but the bottom one does look a little better imo, especially for a Diablo game.

‘Diablo III’ Producer Justifies Controversial Art Direction:

Why did Blizzard choose an art style for “Diablo III” that would anger so many fans? I got answers in Paris last weekend before people were really asking the question.

And I know of at least 14,000 people who’d like an answer. Those are the thousands of diehard “Diablo” fans who have signed a petition against the game’s new art direction (with more than 1,000 signatures added every hour).

When I asked lead producer Keith Lee about “Diablo III’”s new art style at the Worldwide Invitational in Paris, he explained why Blizzard went in that direction.

Some context first, if you’re not familiar with the old “Diablo” titles: they featured dark, shadowy landscapes and dungeons (in which the player-characters needed a radius of light to see), and an overall realistic art style. With “Diablo III,” the environments and textures are noticeably more vibrant and colourful, both inside and outside dungeons. Blaming the influence of “World of Warcraft,” the petitioners complain that the game is too “cartoon’ish” with “unrealistic elements” and “outside scenarios with vivid colors, beautiful forests with colourful vegetation, shinny [sic] and beautiful waterfalls where even rainbows take place.” (The petitioners have a full laundry list of complaints and suggestions here.)

So this is what Lee had to say about the art direction when we spoke in Paris: “One of the things that we considered when we were working on the visuals for ‘Diablo III’ is the fact that colour is your friend. We feel that colour actually helps to create a lot of highlights in the game so that there is contrast. A great analogy is like in ‘Lord of the Rings’ — not everything is dark. It allows you to see what a creepy dungeon can be like but if everything is dark it doesn’t allow you to have a lot of contrast.”

He continued: “‘Diablo I’ and ‘Diablo II’ are darker, and I think that the one of the main reasons why is the fact that in ‘Diablo I,’ you’re basically in a dungeon the whole time. And in contrast to ‘Diablo III,’ you’ll be exploring outdoors, you’ll be in dungeons, you’ll be experiencing so many different areas. We want to bring as much variety as we can when you’re playing the game so that you’re excited to check out new environments. We don’t want everything to look the same and that’s really what we’re trying to aim for.

“What we also tried to do is create very clean textures so that you can really focus. It’s a stylized feel and in that sense, it’s very sort of a Blizzard philosophy. It’s just really pushing the envelope in terms of the visuals so that everyone is excited about how everything looks. We think that ‘Diablo III’ is going to be better in so many different ways. We’re just building and improving upon the the first and second ‘Diablo’ games.”

I also asked Lee about how and when the dev team will take fan feedback into account. He wouldn’t go into specifics, but said:

“We’re very involved, because everyone’s very passionate about our games. Blizzard employees, we spend a lot of time actually iterating on [the game], and so in terms of the next phase, what we’ll try to do is a proof on concept on lot of different gameplay aspects. And we really want to get as much feedback as possible so that we can improve on the game and ensure that we meet Blizzard quality for our fans and for ourselves as players.”

From my POV, I much prefer this art direction as not only it relates to a game I like (Warcraft 3), it also takes out the dark and depressing feeling I got while playing Diablo 2. I would never had played it if it wasn't in co-op with some friends to light up the mood.

But, I can also understand the fans, they've grown for years used to something they expected never to change, probably the reasons I described above has the opposite effect for them and makes up for a great deal of the game. The condescending attitude given by the producer with the comment "colour is your friend" doesn't really help, as they could have a bigger palette of colours and still keep it realistic, mainly with more texture detail and character polygons.

With that said, Blizzard is highly competent and I trust them in whatever decision they take.

Is Diablo III Coming Out on February 1st?

According to Best Buy, Diablo III is headed to stores at the beginning of next month. An end cap display spotted at a Rochester, Minnesota Best Buy location advertises that the store will hold a midnight launch for the game that day, and Best Buy's website lists the same date.

Joystiq has acquired the following photo of the display, and has confirmed with the store that it's legitimate:

diablo3bestbuy599px2_1325986946.jpg

For now, Blizzard hasn't announced when Diablo III will be coming out, so nothing is confirmed. Still, the fact that Best Buy is printing ads suggests that they're pretty confident about this release date. Blizzard hasn't commented on the display, but we've reached out and will update with any information they provide.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1216054p1.html

Blizz are launching an open beta for DIII for this weekend only! Go get it!!

You sir, are win.

So....is anyone playing the beta because I cannot. All I get is a nice error message.

I was hoping it would be easier to get onto Diablo this morning with all the Americans asleep but im still getting the error message everytime I try to log in.

EDIT: Just found this

Error 3003 - Click Options, under Account change your region to The Americas. The open beta is only being held on US hardware.

Yeah. It's on american servers. Was playing this till 3am with a friend and it has definitely been worth the wait.

The interface design, and new inclusions like achievements and ongoing tooltips are really informative, detailed and well crafted in general. They have really taken alot of strides to ease new and old players of the franchise into the Diablo 3 systems. In a simple sort of way, it looks really really good. One of those games that will probably stand the test of time graphically because it has a clean, consistent and pleasant style. It was also very stable, no lag, and the integration of battle.net with it's friend system is seamless.

Only complaint I could levy was that every time I wanted to send a message, which was often, I would have to press 'R' or 'Enter'. Understandable though as later in the game you will be pressing keys 1-4 and possibly 'Q' quite alot but in the beta, you are locked to lv 13 and thus, don't have many skill options, and can exclusively use the mouse.

Took us about 4 hours to complete the beta but that was us exploring almost everything and going at a pretty slow place.

Oh and the monk class is pure awesomeness. So flashy. My friend played as the shaman and he is hilarious. One of the skills he used actually almost scared me but all the classes look full of character. When I play again, gonna try the demon huntress or w/e it's name is.

Little less than a month before this game is out.

I've completed the beta with the Barbarian, Monk and Demon Hunter. Barbarian is still my favourite, as it was in D2. This game is addictive.

Only took me an hour and half to finish, listening/reading the story as well. But this is only the beta so no worries :D

Has anyone else pre-ordered off Amazon? Basically there's been a massive screw up and loads of orders won't be fulfilled on time because they've not got enough stock to send out! I pre-ordered mine in Dec 2010 and it's still not been sent, so it's not looking good for release day...

...errr, so would anyone be so kind as to message me a guest pass code - if you've received your copy early - so I can at least play the first act come Tuesday? :) I'll repay you with my eternal love. :heart:

Can someone explain why there's so much hype for a game that looks like it was released in the late 90s?

The Diablo is great and addictive gameplay. :D KILL KILL KILL.

Oh yeah, this is out soon. I must be the only person more excited for Torchlight 2.

Oh yeah, this is out soon. I must be the only person more excited for Torchlight 2.

You aren't. I've started playing Torchlight a few days ago and I love it. Can't be arsed to buy Diablo 3, because I don't have the money/time to invest. Maybe next month. :)

Well im still looking forward to it anyway. Shame it didnt arrive today so I could play it at midnight tonight but apparently GAME have instructed Royal Mail not to deliver it until tomorrow (despite the fact that its locked so I couldnt play it early anyway!)

I'm downloading/installing it. Got a digital copy straight from Blizzard. And we can play at 11 in the UK. 'tis on french time!

I wanted to get the digital copy but there was no way I was going to pay £44.99 instead of £30.

Have my CE coming from Shopto tomorrow, hopefully the servers and stuff should be stable by then :P

I'm more excited for Torchlight 2, even though I've never heard of Torchlight.

The Diablo is great and addictive gameplay. :D KILL KILL KILL.

It looks like Gauntlet.

I would also love a guest pass if someone would be so obliging as to hook me up :).

Sign in to follow this