NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Garden Pigeon

Two Routers?

Hey,

I decided to move my 360 downstairs, away from my upstairs router. I'm lacking a giant ethernet cable and dont want to bother with anything wireless.

Heres the thing - I have two ADSL lines, one upstairs and one downstairs. They're both under the same Broadband provider. I figured all I had to do was plug my second router in and it'd work. Apparently not, my laptop lost its wireless signal from the upstairs router the second I plugged the other one in.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there just no possible way of doing it this way?

EDIT: I should add that both of these routers are wireless, but I am using an ethernet cable to connect my 360 to the router.

Much appreciated.

Okay, you can't have two routers since you don't have two internet connections.

You'll need to buy the following:

2X Homeplug adapters

1X 4 port switch.

Homeplugs are ethernet through your electrical system, so essentially a giant ethernet cable. A switch is a router, without the internet connection going into it, so it acts as a "hub" for your connections to go to one place and it works out what needs to go where.

As for wireless, you can get either a wireless access point to plug into the switch or something like a USB wireless dongle (love that word) and stick it in a PC somewhere... but this might not be too practical.

I'd suggest buying the parts i suggested off Ebuyer.com or dabs.com

You'll need to buy the following:

2X Homeplug adapters

1X 4 port switch.

Homeplugs are ethernet through your electrical system, so essentially a giant ethernet cable. A switch is a router, without the internet connection going into it, so it acts as a "hub" for your connections to go to one place and it works out what needs to go where.

As for wireless, you can get either a wireless access point to plug into the switch or something like a USB wireless dongle (love that word) and stick it in a PC somewhere... but this might not be too practical.

I'd suggest buying the parts i suggested off Ebuyer.com or dabs.com

Thats cool, I didn't know about them. 2 questions though -

Would using those homeplug adaptors slow down the connection compared to a normal ethernet cable?

How can I be sure that all my plugs sockets or connected? I dont know much about electrical wiring in the house, are they always all connected?

Thanks.

Homeplugs run at a minimum of 85mbps even in a really old house.

As for the latter question, theres no real way of knowing, however unless your house is extremely old, your circuits will be on one parralell (sp) circuit meaning that although your lower and upper floors may not have a shared circuit they will be connected at some points. The house i live in is a good 50 years old and i use homeplugs between the up and down stairs floors with no issues.

Homeplugs run at a minimum of 85mbps even in a really old house.

As for the latter question, theres no real way of knowing, however unless your house is extremely old, your circuits will be on one parralell (sp) circuit meaning that although your lower and upper floors may not have a shared circuit they will be connected at some points. The house i live in is a good 50 years old and i use homeplugs between the up and down stairs floors with no issues.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go, if for some reason my plug sockets arnt connected I'm sure I can get a refund.

Thanks Jordan.

I think you actually can. I have 2 routers set up in my house on one connection.

Really? Hmm.

I would have thought they would have tried to use the same IP address and send everything into a shit storm.

Supprising.

As for the latter question, theres no real way of knowing, however unless your house is extremely old, your circuits will be on one parralell (sp) circuit meaning that although your lower and upper floors may not have a shared circuit they will be connected at some points.

Do they not use a ring-main circuit now for houses? :heh:

It's still very similar, and whichever one your house uses HomePlug should work no problems at all as it'll still be connected all the way around the house at some point.

I think you actually can. I have 2 routers set up in my house on one connection.

Wait, are these routers connected into different phone line sockets in your house, or is the second router connected directly to the first one as an... extension kind of thing? Because I know that works.

Are you on Cable or ADSL? Because you can't have 2 Routers/Modems etc. plugged in to an ADSL line, it buggers the whole thing up.

Would this work to get round my problem? I have my router plugged into my computer and internet connection and laptops, wii and Ps3 all run off, but is set up on WPA due to my dads work computer and their network only letting you log in on what it deems to be a secure network (something that WEP apparently is not).

I do however have a BT Home Hub would getting one of these mains plug adaptors let me use it for my DS?

Would this work to get round my problem? I have my router plugged into my computer and internet connection and laptops, wii and Ps3 all run off, but is set up on WPA due to my dads work computer and their network only letting you log in on what it deems to be a secure network (something that WEP apparently is not).

I do however have a BT Home Hub would getting one of these mains plug adaptors let me use it for my DS?

It wouldn't really make any difference using HomePlug and then plugging the other router into it than just connecting it straight up to the router without HomePlug? Y

It wouldn't really make any difference using HomePlug and then plugging the other router into it than just connecting it straight up to the router without HomePlug? Y

I've tried that and my it didn't come up as a working network or anything.

You can't connect two routers to each other on one network, I think the security clashes. You can connect a switch to a router tho.

You can buy routers which are just routers and don't have an ADSL/Cable modem built in.

You could perhaps use a router with a modem built in and then connect a router without a modem to the modem router and put the non modem router into the DMZ. I'm not sure why this would be useful though ^.^

Sign in to follow this