NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Job-Hunters...UNITE!

Ok, after my original post in the How was your Day thread, I have been applying like a bitch, ringing places, applying online, sending applications...I must have applied to almost 20 places now. It's insane.

Who else is job-hunting right now? This is the place to vent your frustrations, talk about your success/worries, and also maybe give out details of jobs that are going in your area/websites to visit...this may just help a brother out.

I'd like another job... :p

Tried temp agencies, pubs/restaurants? Are you in Brighton or Wales? Because if theres touristey places nearby they tend to need more work for the summer (i.e. the West Midlands Safari Park near me tends to be filled with uni kids over the summer).

Prostitution?

I'd like another job... :p

Tried temp agencies, pubs/restaurants? Are you in Brighton or Wales? Because if theres touristey places nearby they tend to need more work for the summer (i.e. the West Midlands Safari Park near me tends to be filled with uni kids over the summer).

Prostitution?

I'm in Wales...sad fact is that if I were in Brighton, I'd have got something by now. There's just more going on there. Newport is..well...shit.

Sent off about 15 applications for a full time london job. Trying to get one before September so I still have a while but would be nice to get one quick or at least have an interview!

I've called and emailed up somebody, and they have acknowledged me. It was with a question.."how long are you available for?" but still...acknowledgement!

There is Life on Mars after all.

There is nothing worse than looking for a job, it always seems to take an age while everyone around you is working away.

I got my job through a temp agency in 2005 and have been here ever since and have now worked my way up to £335 pound a week after tax.

I wish all you job searchers luck.

Looking for a job is hell, especially when you first start doing it.

I wish I got paid more than £6 an hour, London is expensive.

Then again, I suppose I do get paid to play video games.... :hmm:

...even though you'd have to pay me to play SquEx games because they are as dull as sand paper.

I found a job really easily. A local pub/restaurant is under new ownership and taking on a whole rota of staff so I applied there for bartender, waiter and KP, got offered KP or waiter. Went for the waiter. Everyone's in for their training end of next week, getting taught about wines etc. Should be good. No idea how much I'm getting paid yet though. Will give me something to do during the day. :)

Jesus, you have no idea....I need work so badly. No cash left and my parents are going to crucify me tonight. They'll have to bail me out short term and I feel like a fucking scrounger. Yay for Graduate prospects...

As soon as they find out you're from uni, they don't want to know.

Most people will only take bums who will dedicate their life to that company, because they're not bluddy going anywhere else. Shoot me for having ambition.

I managed to get a graduate job confirmed last week after loads of interviews and those crappy assesment centres = good news. Pay isnt great for first 12 months as ill just be training so wont be any better off, probably worse off due to council tax and all that jazz :indeed: But its a start!

P.S. Temping agencys all the way for summer jobs, no many people are gonna employ and train you just for 2 months, its a waste of time and money on their half

This is exactly why Im nervous about quitting my current job. It will be difficult to get a new one. Took me about 8 months to land the current one. Fuck.

As soon as they find out you're from uni, they don't want to know.

Most people will only take bums who will dedicate their life to that company, because they're not bluddy going anywhere else. Shoot me for having ambition.

exactly. It's like I was saying earlier, I feel punished for not leaving school at 16 and scrubbing around for 'experience'

'what, you're intelligent? oh fuck off then'.

I've applied for a few others now. Must be well over 20 by now.

It's stupid when you're searching on some websites. I specifically typed in Newport, and you still get results for Cardiff. Yes, I'm well aware there are plenty of jobs going there, you know..it being the capital city of Wales and all that. But I want jobs in Newport!

So far, I've got 2 emails to my name, from that same person as before. The second one basically said "we're looking for people who will be here a lot longer than three months."

...:(

I've got customer service and telesales experience. It's well documented in my CV, and it's not just a month or two, I've been doing telesales since 2004, part time, full time, temporary, permanent...and I've had no replies so far.

exactly. It's like I was saying earlier, I feel punished for not leaving school at 16 and scrubbing around for 'experience'

'what, you're intelligent? oh fuck off then'.

From what I've heard, most teach you everything about how to use the till and how to deal with customers anyway, even if you've had a position in a different branch of the same chain.

When I eventually get an interview, what do I say when they ask me what I've done in the past year? "I went to uni and dropped out" doesn't sound like a good answer...

When I eventually get an interview, what do I say when they ask me what I've done in the past year? "I went to uni and dropped out" doesn't sound like a good answer...

How about "I started a university course, but came to the realisation I was in the wrong place doing the wrong subject, so I've been working/looking for the path in life best suited to me".

It's all about the spin. :wink:

The one thing that really wound me up when out of work was the fact that no-one acknowledged an application or got back in contact with you to tell you if you got the job or not, and have to call them yourself. It's a test for the employer to see if you are serious or not about the job. A good tip, don't leave answer phone messages because they don't like that.

The most valuable thing I've done is worked on the student magazine (writer and editor) which, spun right, might look good. I doubt most people are going to notice though.

So far, I've got 2 emails to my name, from that same person as before. The second one basically said "we're looking for people who will be here a lot longer than three months."

Just don't tell them it's only going to be for 3 months at the interview. It's not as if you're locked into a 12 month contract working there, just hand in your notice after the 2nd month and they can't do anything.

I've applied for a few others now. Must be well over 20 by now.

It's stupid when you're searching on some websites. I specifically typed in Newport, and you still get results for Cardiff. Yes, I'm well aware there are plenty of jobs going there, you know..it being the capital city of Wales and all that. But I want jobs in Newport!

I hate that. Because I come from a small town put anything too specific and it will come up with like three results, and the rest in London. THANKS! Its only 200-or-something miles away. EASY.

Tomorrow I am going to tell work I am willing to do up to 7 days a week (which I may later regret). As I figure it; 12 weeks of work, 40 weeks of awesoming.

Ah yes... finding a job. I haven't actually worked for over two years now:o

I left my job when I got to the end of my 3rd year @ Uni cos I was really struggling with work and finding the time to study so I quit and my honours year went by without a hitch. I graduated last year and like most people on here, having a degree didn't seem to mean shit - especially as I'd only had the one job and that was in retail.

So many, many rejections later I decided to take the rest of the year off and go do a Post-Grad this year which I applied for today and have decided that I should probably get a P/T job just to help with general Uni-ness and also paying my parents back for the fees that they are paying for me to do my PG. Applied for a couple of jobs today so fingers crossed everything goes well. Good luck to everyone else - finding employment is one of the most soul-destroying tasks there is:shakehead

You know it's a good sign when the word 'substancial' crops up on a Government application form.

I still don't have a degree related job from graduating last year. I'm in the catch 22 of not having enough experience. So i am either going to set up my own company somehow with zero funds or continue with this comic book im writing, bah it sucks