NEurope
pedrocasilva

Arc Rise Fantasia (Marvelous/Image Epoch)

Turn Based combat....

Oh... My... God...

EPIC WIN!!!

Like... oh... my... gosh!

Turn based RPGs are sooo rare!

Turn Based combat....

Oh... My... God...

EPIC WIN!!!

I have to agree with Hellfire. Most RPGs are turn based.

The games is looking good. I hope we here something about the release date soon.

^ Intro shows a few more names for the team, namely, Osamu Hisano, responsible for the battle programming for Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss.

Moar:

-> http://rapidshare.com/files/153059511/ruliweb_agpanta_tgs08_wii.wmv ("ubber quality")

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHmzzv9x3c (same vid above, but in youtube crap quality)

IGN's Hands-on:

TGS 2008: Hands-on Arc Rise Fantasia

Marvelous was prominently featuring Arc Rise Fantasia at its TGS booth this year. The traditional Japanese role-playing game is looking really nice, busting with giant monsters, some slick special effects, and attractive ladies. It comes by way of the team that created the strategy RPG Luminous Arc. Today we spent some time getting a feel for the battle mechanics and wandered around the overworld doing some light puzzle solving. The game "feels" a lot like Final Fantasy. The story has something to do with dragons invading the land and pushing the territories to the brink of war. It's up to the player and their band of pals to vanquish the dragons and set things right.

As Arc Rise Fantasia is a pretty traditional experience, it can be played with the traditional classic controller. Monsters roam around the overworld, as they tend to do, and if one sees you it will charge and initiate a combat sequence. Battles are turn-based, but presented in 3D, as is the entire game. The player gives commands to each of the three characters in their party and then selects "execute," causing them to perform all their tasks at once. Only three characters can battle at a time, but you will gain more allies along the way.

The game runs on an ability points system. These points are shared by the entire party and every attack or spell will cost you. Obviously, there will be a way to regenerate ability points, but it wasn't apparent during our play session. It is possible to let one character spend all points at once and let loose a super attack.

One unique feature of Fantasia's fighting system is the crystals that appear on each battlefield. These can be attacked instead of enemies to provide you with a power boost. It's a strategic call because you miss dealing damage for a turn and leave yourself open to the enemy. But crystals are embodied with different elements such as fire and water, and need to be attacked with a corresponding spell or item or else your party will be powered down.

The game looks great with interesting character designs and some good animations. One troubling thing, though, was that sometimes our characters would run off screen to attack during a battle and the camera wouldn't follow them, causing us to miss the action.

When we weren't fighting rabbits and ladybugs, we were exploring a series of cliffs, flipping switches to lower passages and gain access to new areas. Several hidden trails were discovered that held weapons, and they were usually guarded by some jerk monster. By the end of the demo we had encountered some pretty large beasts, including a winged lion-thing with horns.

Arc Rise Fantasia is currently 70 percent complete and is looking like a very nice (exclusive) addition to the Wii's library. XSeed will be publishing the game in North America, so RPG fans definitely have something to look forward to.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/918/918517p1.html

Siliconera Hands-on:

I tried out the battle portion yesterday and similar to Tales of Symphonia there aren’t any random battles. Enemies appear on the screen. You choose who or what you want to fight. I ended up fighting a lot of tiny birds since they were the staple enemy in the zone. Walk up to an enemy and you start the battle with a fair amount of action points (AP) used to determine actions for all three party members. If you try to flee and get caught you start out with less AP which gives the monsters an edge in the first round.

Time freezes during battle and you get to pick all of the commands for your party members. Spend all of your AP on L’arc and he does a tandem attack, a five or six hit combo in the demo. Alternatively you can split up your AP to take advantage of Ryfia’s area affecting water spell or have her heal while another party member steals. The combat system maximizes versatility and I liked that. However, there are some elements not well explained like elemental shields. Ryfia can summon a water shell that increases resistance to water, but this was useless in the Tokyo Game Show demo. Also, the turn order on the bottom right isn’t shown in advance. It appears after everyone takes there turns so it’s more like an order of what attack you’re going to see next than something you can strategically use.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/09/arc-rise-fantasia-rising-to-north-american-release/

Like... oh... my... gosh!

Turn based RPGs are sooo rare!

Well, this is the first one i know in the Wii, everything else is false RPG :nono:

The game runs on an ability points system. These points are shared by the entire party and every attack or spell will cost you. Obviously, there will be a way to regenerate ability points, but it wasn't apparent during our play session. It is possible to let one character spend all points at once and let loose a super attack.

Like Skies of Arcadia then? Awesome. :D

The game still looks awesome. The battle system reminds me of Grandia's for some reason.

The game still looks awesome. The battle system reminds me of Grandia's for some reason.
Oh, I wonder what reason is that...

Arc Rise Fantasia:

image4lu7.jpg

Grandia 2:

grandia2_1201_screen002.jpg

Any new news regarding this? Especially regarding a release date?

After all this and Fragile are currently some of the games I am most interested in (except those there are a few PC games too but I think I am mostly interested in those two though) - don't know which one I am more interested in but I think this but for sure I can only say after playing both :)

That is later than I expected for Japan (had expected Q1). So it won't be out in the US before Q3 2009 - probably more likely Q4 2009 (and for Europe ... well if it comes out ... I would guess not before 2010).

Looks like a solid RPG, will probably pick it up if there isn't many else RPG's at the time.

Is there any real reason this is going to stand out amongst all the RPG's the PS2 got though? Can't see much of a reason to get excited about this...

Have to say those screenies aren't looking very good, nowhere near as high res as previous ones.
jpeg extreme compression artefacts ahoy.

beats me, how someone thought it was a good idea.

s there any real reason this is going to stand out amongst all the RPG's the PS2 got though? Can't see much of a reason to get excited about this...
PS2 is dead and Wii is the leading platform so... Did the PSone have any reason to stand out next to SNES RPG's? wel... hopefully and if not, well... it's more of the same, and we as gamers always want more.

Other companies would be wise to do the same instead of going nowhere fast for nothing in platforms that sell jack shit in Japan (and don't lead in the rest of the world either).

PS2 is dead and Wii is the leading platform so... Did the PSone have any reason to stand out next to SNES RPG's? wel... hopefully and if not, well... it's more of the same, and we as gamers always want more.

Other companies would be wise to do the same instead of going nowhere fast for nothing in platforms that sell jack shit in Japan (and don't lead in the rest of the world either).

It just feels like this RPG could be a mediocre non-standout RPG on the PS2, it gets alot of hype for Wii cause it's the first decent RPG announced.

I dunno, nothing stands out to me as any different from the above-average but forgettable ones that litered the PS2 shelves, guess I could be wrong but I'm skeptical.

Probably won't have much choice for a nice summer RPG anyway so I guess beggers can't be choosers. Unless I go for an MMO :/.

It just feels like this RPG could be a mediocre non-standout RPG on the PS2, it gets alot of hype for Wii cause it's the first decent RPG announced.

I dunno, nothing stands out to me as any different from the above-average but forgettable ones that litered the PS2 shelves, guess I could be wrong but I'm skeptical.

Allow me to disagree, have you looked at the pedigree of the team? It might be the first home console RPG coming from Image Epoch but they cattered talent from elsewhere, and in the case of this project that's the Team Symphonia team.

And not small talent at that, we're talking about names such as:

Director: Hiroyuki Kanemaru (Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Rebirth) [conceptual level design, script and other stuff in ToS]

Scenario: Takumi Miyajima (Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss) [he was doing the same thing at Tales studio, scenario]

Battle Programmer: Osamu Hisano (Original battle programmer for the Team Symphonia LMBS system for Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss)

Non-standout RPG on the PS2... well... and what did Tales of the Abyss to stand out in there? for instance... it looks like this after all:

tales-of-the-abyss-20050916062016394.jpg

Yet it's one of the best RPG's available for the system, and a lot of us, Nintendo owners are Tales fans in particular.

This game is looking miles and bounds from Tales of the Abyss and that thing called Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the recycled World (a Wii game, lol), be it in effort, in graphics, etc... and it's coming from a company that, unlike the one we're making mention of... can't really afford a bigger budget.

They are trying, and they have some good talent in there, taking the helm of the thing, why not hype it? I dunno, and certainly don't expect it to be the RPG of the decade, but I expect it to have two things, a soul and actually being a good game; why not and what suggested otherwise?

Probably won't have much choice for a nice summer RPG anyway so I guess beggers can't be choosers. Unless I go for an MMO :/.
Fragile, Kizuna, Rune Factory Frontier, Tales of Ten, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, King Story, Inazuma Eleven Break, King's Story, upcoming Monolith Soft RPG, Dynamic Slash, Phantom Brave Wii, Sword of Legendia, FF Crystal Bearers, Dragon Quest X, Moon's Peak, Takuto no Mahou...

I'd say things are getting busier; Wii has more announced upcoming RPG's at this point than both PS3 and X360 combined.