NEurope
killthenet

George Carlin Died

So it seems last night George Carlin passed away at the age of 71. He was a fantastic stand up comic and appeared in plenty of film and television roles over the years, most notably as Rufus in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" and as a Catholic Priest in the hilarious but overly preachy "Dogma".

He will be sorely missed.

...by who?

can we stop with these bloody stupid "some fairly random celebrity died!" threads? people on the forums lose people they actually know and care about all the time - why the hell do we care about some random actor?

it's kind of thoughtless, dont you think?

...by who?

can we stop with these bloody stupid "some fairly random celebrity died!" threads? people on the forums lose people they actually know and care about all the time - why the hell do we care about some random actor?

That's a bit harsh, he was the business in Bill & Ted.

George Carlin was a fucking legend. My favourite stand up comedian ever, to stay funny and relevant all these years is a testament to his genius.

He's not random to me, I remember him clearly from Bill and Ted and thought he was awesome!

...by who?

I always thought the same thing, its just people wanting to start a thread sometimes in my opinion.

Although i can't say much about that...

I always thought the same thing, its just people wanting to start a thread sometimes in my opinion.

Although i can't say much about that...

You're too young to understand though.

I think Bluey would be valid if this was a Jade Goody is dead thread...or maybe the Amy Winehouse thread up right now. But at least Amy has talent (in some people'd eyes).

Carlin had a talent, so I think it's fine to share the fact he died with people...

You're too young to understand though.

Rokhed don't be patronising. Age has nothing to do with it.

Hey, I just assumed that there would be plenty fans of his here who might like to be aware of his passing. He was not exactly a major celebrity in the UK so his death will go largely unreported over here.

Better this than some bullshit thread about using the phrase 'but yeah' more than twice a day.

Rokhed don't be patronising. Age has nothing to do with it.

yeah man, people on this side of the hill can still appreciate bill and ted. :heh:

i just think a whole new thread about some dude nobody really knows is a little insensitive given very recent events in a lot of prominent forum members lives...

Great comedian, remember him from Bill and Ted.

Good night sweet prince, and may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Great comedian, remember him from Bill and Ted.

Good night sweet prince, and may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Good-night, sweet prince;

And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

REAL sorry, OCD attack.

Good-night, sweet prince;

And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

REAL sorry, OCD attack.

You just made it to my list!

You just made it to my list!

As long as that list is grammatically correct, I'm happy. :heh:

Well I "knew him".. from a handfull of movies and records.. especially his 7 words you can't say on television, that stirred so much fuss that radio stations was prohibited from broadcasting it.. so I think he deserves a thread..

"is a little insensitive given very recent events in a lot of prominent forum members lives..."

what? Who? Where?

Entertainers are major touch stones in people's lives, y'know, now more than ever. There's no issue with mourning them.

i just think a whole new thread about some dude nobody really knows is a little insensitive given very recent events in a lot of prominent forum members lives...

Bluey, I normally quite like what you have to say - but that is a totally elitist point of view. "Prominent Forum Members" Who the heck are they? I post some of the awful crap that happens in my life, and I barely even get a nod, do people not care because I don't qualify as important in their lives? Am I not "prominent" enough to be cared about?

I'm sorry Bluey, but I find what you have said on this occasion really insensitive. I am sure you have no intention to be, but it sounds like an incredibly selfish thing to say.

Now, back to topic. George Carlin was a funny man, there is a lot of his stand-up available and he was a maverick in many ways with a sharp wit and a strong routine that was incredibly daring at times.

And of course, let's not forget him as the legendary Rufus.

Am I not "prominent" enough to be cared about?

i didnt say i was important, or that you were unimportant.

in fact i wasnt really talking about you or me at all.

and i can safely say that i had no intention of being elitist. a recent lesson i taught proved that i dont even reeeeeally know exactly how to define "elite"...

plus - i think even less about internet cliques even less than i do real-life ones.

aaaaaaaaall i was saying was that all these "zomg so-and-so kicked the bucket!" threads could easily go in the how was your day thread (or whatever)

my day was rubbish because *insert name here* died.

but i'll happily ignore them and keep my opinions to myself next time. k?

now back on topic: ZOMG soooo many celebrities have died recently it MUST be a curse zomg zomg zomg zomg! :yay:

Am I not "prominent" enough to be cared about?

Awwww, big hugs darling.

I am sure that everyone's hearts are with people in mourning on this forum, it is also likely that when they come on the forum to unwind they do not want to see a big thread on the first page reminding them even more of that, if they want to do so, they can.

Now considering entertainers touch the lives of the audience and that this forum is obviously tied to media, it's normal that people want to talk about it considering that usually we don't have their family members here talking about it.

You can create threads and you can choose not to view them, instead of coming to a thread and saying things like "ZOMG soooo many celebrities have died recently it MUST be a curse zomg zomg zomg zomg! " which is clearly why this thread was created.

I did not know George Carlin's work very much, but as with (almost) every death, it's a loss. R.I.P.

...by who?

So it is okay for you to get Dyson to make topic called Is bluey...dead?! :blank::indeed:

May i suggest may watching some George Carlin listening to what he has to say before writing him off as "some fairly random celebrity". Just because he not paraded around the media circus doesn't automatically make him any less of a genius.

May i suggest may watching some George Carlin listening to what he has to say before writing him off as "some fairly random celebrity". Just because he not paraded around the media circus doesn't automatically make him any less of a genius.

Yeah I guess, but maybe some people should say that a bit more. I'd like threads like this to be more of a list of awesome stuff they has done or momentos to their life rather than a "ZOMG blah person died, he was SHO great".

So it is okay for you to get Dyson to make topic called Is bluey...dead?! :blank::indeed:

Er, yeah wasn't that dyson though? And come on dude, you're one of the people Bluey is trying to be nice to.