NEurope
Jackster

Where can a 16 year old get a job?

I worked at Homebase when i was 16, so give them a try. They'll hire anybody. Generally supermarkets dont care how old you are either so you should have some luck with those you have tried. A lot of people worked at Tescos when i was at school.

You say that, but i tried to get a job at 4 different super markets when i was 16 and had literally zero luck.

Look job agency up in the local phone book and do some factory work. If you have a local market go there and ask for some cash in hand labour or something.

Try smaller shops if supermarkets dont work out. Newsagents and stuff. Or get a paper route :p

Thanks for all your suggestions so far people :D

Not yet, I was going to try Starbucks and Costa and Cafe Nero, though

Those big coffee shops generally want people to be 18 as far as I know, try smaller ones which aren't big franchises.

Try Greenpeace work at Glastonbury. What a mate of mine is doing..

I started at McDonalds when i was 15 (long long story), worked there until i was 17-18. The moneys ok and the people are friendly.

I also worked selling kitchens over the phone for 2.5 hours every night.

If you have relatively easy access to your town-centre, then I would suggest shopping for a temp place in one of the smaller, more niche (careful) shops. Just strikes me that that sort of thing would be really laid-back and a pretty comfortable place to work. Of course, I'm just guessing. Never had a job, and I'm sort of in the same boat as you, only... I don't really... want one.

You say that, but i tried to get a job at 4 different super markets when i was 16 and had literally zero luck.

Because yo' ugly dawg.

Talk with your local connections officer, they will give you the est advice.

There is also a list of jobs on their site if i am correct.

To get experience do things for free, for charity, or go to work with family and watch them work for a few hours per week.

Help at your local community centre, and ask around people who might give you a reference for better jobs.

Those big coffee shops generally want people to be 18 as far as I know, try smaller ones which aren't big franchises.

They have health and safety risks to be concerned about, I think that's pretty correct.

I worked in a place called Instore (aka poundstretchers) when i was 17, they pretty much took on anyone. They rang me up about the application I had sent in 6 months ago. Well organised company! :shakehead Their interview consisted of...

"yeah you have passed all your gcses, oh, an A in maths, smart cookie"

*shows me round the store*

I didn't even have to answer any questions :D

I basically got treated like rubbish for 4 months and left after an incident occured with the manager. Ie him being an utter <insert curse word of choice>.

Although in the beginning I liked him cause he was hawt. Shame about his personality!

Letty works in a coffee shop, has done since she was 15.

I was fairly fortunate to work for my parents when i was that age, wages were great :p

I only got that job though because I had previous experience.. (My mum owned a cafe that I worked in)

Its pretty ridiculous though, its so hard to get a job with no experience.

I only got that job though because I had previous experience.. (My mum owned a cafe that I worked in)

Its pretty ridiculous though, its so hard to get a job with no experience.

It depends where you look. Homebase was the first place i applied to and i got the job the next day, probably because it was in a suburban area. However, when i started uni i applied for loads of jobs in Manchester town centre and had no luck for ages (i really wanted to work at HMV :(). Everybody looks there though so the odds are much slimer.

I eventually got a job at Pizza Hut though, which lead to an awesome job at Pizza Express and lots lovely tippage. But that doesn't help you being 16 at the moment.