NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Nintendo64 Appreciation Day

As I'm home with my beloved ENSIXTEH....FOUR (resi 4 reference there), I'm going to be spending a lot of time playing some of the classics from my childhood/teenagehood.

So, hows about it? We nominate one game that everyone/most people have, and we dedicate a day to that game. We play it for a whole day, post what we like/dislike about it, why it's considered to be great/a serious letdown, and how different/the same we feel about it today compared to years ago.

Whaddya think?

The 64 had some of the best days of my life, i was so young and got so exited when the big games came out. I think we should hammer Goldeneye for a day.

Most of my N64 experiences were on the GameCube with Zelda: Collector's Edition, and then Super Mario 64 DS. I briefly owned a 64 but exchanged it with forum member Jimjebus for bloody loads of GameCube/GBA games. I only had Lylat Wars for it, so I kept that and plan on getting another one in the future (since Nintendo are being so crap with their Virtual Console N64 releases).

If my supreme noobish-ness is permitted to take part, then I'll do Majora's Mask. ;)

Well, if we're doing games that everyone/most people have, then I think it may be useful to know that the 10 best-selling N64 games are:

1. Super Mario 64 - 11 million

2. Mario Kart 64 - 8 million

3. GoldenEye 007 - 8 million

4. The Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time - 8 million

5. Super Smash Bros. - 5 million

6. Diddy Kong Racing - 4 million

7. Pokemon Stadium - 4 million

8. Donkey Kong 64 - 4 million

9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 3 million

10. Star Fox 64 / Lylat Wars - 3 million

The N64 was my favorite console, with Lylat Wars being my favorite game on it. Super Mario 64 would be a safe game to choose if we want a lot of people to take part, as pretty much everyone has that game, but we've had a remake, so many of us will have played an almost identical game relatively recently. Plus, every day is 'Super Mario 64' day, so...

I had it for a small time, but I loved it!

I say... Mystical Ninja, starring Goemon. That game is so underrated.

It's gotta be Diddy Kong Racing because, unlike Goldeneye, it's still extremely playable today.

Motherfucking Rayman 2. I played the shit out of that game. I like it a lot more than Super Mario 64.

Conkers Bad Fur Day.

It was bloody, brutal and FUCKING hilarious! Thoroughly deserves the 9.9 it got from IGN.

Jet Force Gemini.

Another gem from Rare during the 64 era.

I had it for a small time, but I loved it!

I say... Mystical Ninja, starring Goemon. That game is so underrated.

Give this man a medal. :D It is indeed and due to it's hillarity (musical theme ftw!) it still holds up well today. Awesome, awesome title. Going nooooow :D

Well, if we're doing games that everyone/most people have, then I think it may be useful to know that the 10 best-selling N64 games are:

The N64 was my favorite console, with Lylat Wars being my favorite game on it. Super Mario 64 would be a safe game to choose if we want a lot of people to take part, as pretty much everyone has that game, but we've had a remake, so many of us will have played an almost identical game relatively recently. Plus, every day is 'Super Mario 64' day, so...

Well done for getting that list. :)

I'm seeing some good suggestions here, and it just reminds me also of how many N64 classics I didn't get to play...such as Conker's Bad Fur Day!

Keep it coming guys, let's have a list of 10 games, and we'll see which names pop up the most. Then, as Caris says, we'll hammer that for a day! :)

I have a 64 and a few games, best one imo is Mario Kart.

But my aerial cable is broken so i cannot play it :(

Give this man a medal. :D It is indeed and due to it's hillarity (musical theme ftw!) it still holds up well today. Awesome, awesome title. Going nooooow :D

I still remember a lot of silly stuff from that game. Like the background "sitcom laughs" anytime someone made a joke.

I also remember how I noticed that The Wise Man wasn't exactly talking about car magazines :wink: (Too much Dragonball in my youth?)

I didn't have the memory add-on, though. I remember I once made it to the final boss without it, but I never actually beat the guy.

The N64 is (and I would guess always will be) my favourite ever console.. It had so many quality games!

Every game on that Top 10 List (Thanks SHUCKLE MAN) is fantastic (except for, in my case, Pokémon Stadium as I just never had any interest in Pokémon)

..however, there are many others I would like to mention:

Banjo-Kazooie

1080 Snowboarding

Wave Race 64

F-Zero X

Mario Tennis

Pilotwings 64

Jet Force Gemini

Excitebike 64 (This game was amazing! It's a shame noone ever mentions it..)

Mario Golf

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Perfect Dark

ISS 64/ 98/ 2000

Top Gear Rally 1 and 2

World Driver Championship

Yoshi Story

F1 World Grand Prix

Resident Evil 2

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Killer Instinct Gold

The N64 was just incredible.. I love that thing :yay:

*cough* If no-one has their N64's anymore they can always "emulate" the thing so we have more discussion. *cough*

Anyway, I'm going for Mario Kart 64 too ... seeing as the series is fresh in my mind from the wii outing.

Plus, I didn't know anyone but myself in my neck of the woods who had smash bros. (otherwise I'd have picked that title)

Mario Kart is also easy to jump into unlike something like OOT which will seperate people during discussion as they move on at different speeds. With MK we can all chat about the tracks/weapons etc...and damn rubber banding AI.

Excitebike 64 (This game was amazing! It's a shame noone ever mentions it..)

I wanted it so bad, back in the day... But I could never find it... :(

If I could have a 4 player multiplayer session on the N64 again, it would be with The World Is Not Enough. Much better than Goldeneye's multiplayer and the bank, with it's elevators was a great stage and the sticky grenade was a fun weapon! The single player mode was also excellent.

I'm going to avoid the obvious ones like OoT and suggest Pilotwings. Just fly around and relax or do the hilarious and hard challenges. Amazing game.

The fact that I actually still play Diddy Kong Racing every other day with my mate means it wouldn't really be much of a special day if I did blast arses out of it, so I'm gonna have to change my decision to Killer Instinct. What a game.

I've been back home for a few days so decided to get the 64 out again and I forgot how immense it was. You can't beat 4 player Goldeneye imho. Been playing Rogue Squadron aswell which is an ace game. Its a shame Ive sold alot of the games.....ive still got

goldeneye

Zelda OOT

Zelda MM

Lylatwars

Rogue Squadron

Pilotwings

Shadows Of The Empire

Diddy Kong Racing

Super Mario 64

Perfect Dark

The N64! My first console and home to very fond memories. So many classics, perhaps I'll get the old thing out again. Quite recently I've been buying some games on eBay I never had and haven't got round to playing them yet. I currently have 19 games. I think most of the famous games have been nominated, so I'll just say my personal favourite is a close call between Ocarina, Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. Of course I loved Mario 64 and Goldeneye as well, hell it's an impossible task to narrow it down to one :p

Had an NTSC N64 with around 30-40 games which i'd been collecting over a few years, and it was stolen in a burglary. The same time places like CEX stopped selling all import Nintendo stuff, which was like a double insult. Got a PAL one soon after, but the speed difference stood out like a sore thumb.

I eventually bought another NTSC console and built up a half-decent games collection from preowned sales, but still nowhere near what i had as it's become near impossible to find NTSC games.

Some other gems that haven't been mentioned here:

Rocket Robot on Wheels

Top Gear Overdrive

Gauntlet Legends (N64 version played best)

Shadowgate 64

Extreme G (first one)

Bangai-O

and finally...

Superman 64 (how could we miss out the best game ever made)