NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Internet Problemo..

Bit bizarre this. I'm having some trouble as some websites (like here) are loading instantly and yet some are sticking at like 98%. I'm talking sites like Google/Hotmail.

But other sites are loading fast. Like I typed in google.com in the address bar and it does nothing for ages. Sometimes it doesn't load. Then I type a search in the browsers (already built-in) google field and it loads in seconds flat. It's really starting to nark me as only a couple of sites seem to load in anything under 1-2mins.

Anyone? I've restarted my router numerous times/restarted PC and laptops and yet the same problem occurs. Thing is, it's been happening over the last 2 days and there's been no reported words from BE.

I sometimes get that, Its not usually high profile sites though, its usually sites that have shared servers that are the problem.

I think someone had this exact problem before here though so you may want to try a search or two.

I couldn't say for sure but I wonder if this may be caused by some of DNS issues which BE can be notorious for (and the one complaint I have about them).

One way you can check this is : if google.com starts stalling , try using the IP address http://64.233.167.147/ and if that loads without delays it could be the DNS. You could also try pinging those other sites just to make sure that they are live , successful pings but still a failure to load the site is another way of finding a potential DNS issue.

If it is a DNS issue , you could switch to using OpenDNS rather than BE's and that may solve the problem.

Forgive me if I'm preaching to the converted but when you type a website into your address bar, you have to make sure that you put the www. bit infront of it or it won't load anything. I've noticed even in the Google toolbar that if you click on an actual site suggestion without the www. showing that it will behave the same too.

I couldn't say for sure but I wonder if this may be caused by some of DNS issues which BE can be notorious for (and the one complaint I have about them).

One way you can check this is : if google.com starts stalling , try using the IP address http://64.233.167.147/ and if that loads without delays it could be the DNS. You could also try pinging those other sites just to make sure that they are live , successful pings but still a failure to load the site is another way of finding a potential DNS issue.

If it is a DNS issue , you could switch to using OpenDNS rather than BE's and that may solve the problem.

Thanks mate, your help has hit the nail on the head. Now...how to change to an openDNS...And what repurcussions will this have?

Changing to openDNS hasn't had any repurcussions for me as yet and I believe that many other BE users have switched to using them also without problems.

As for changing it's a fairly simple process , and depending on the OS and router you are using it should be straight forward. Either state those here or PM me and I will happily advise you how to change them.

Alternatively , due to the DNS thing being an ongoing problem with BE , there should be quite a few posts about using openDNS and the settings on their forums.

You should also be able to find out most of what you need here https://www.opendns.com/start

with opendns if you search for something by typing it in the address bar it will take you to an opendns guide page instead of the result or if not the google results.

Sign in to follow this