NEurope
Kav

Tiger Woods PGA Tour '09

This is looking good, might buy this next week, won't have anytime this weekend as I have a wedding to go to.

One thing I realised that's good about these sports games on Wii. Since they can fine tune and enhance the controls a lot each year, it's not so much of a case of it being "the same game each year" like with EA sports games on the other systems.

Whilst I understand your point and agree with it to a certain extent , it also has it's drawbacks.

Using Madden as an example , EA felt the need to change the game completely just for the sake of it (that and to capture the expanded market crap) , when all it really needed was a few refinements.

In this case , it would have better if they had just decided to 'fine tune the controls' and add small enhancements , and I would have preferred that to what they decided to do this year.

Admittedly , I haven't played Madden on XBox360/PS3 this year (yet) , but due to the direction EA have taking with it on Wii this year then I feel that I may have to go that way in the near future. I do fear that this will be the way EA decide to go with all their sports titles and it's the one thing that really concerns me with the 'expanded' market as it is.

Got it today...played it non stop. Best Woodsy ever. Congrats EA etc etc...

No 480p though...for shame! Although EA have finally noticed something called "widescreen" :p

Well, i gave it another shot and I'm beginning to like it.

My handle is NLJapjer, add me if you feel like winning =).

Madden Wii is non-comparable to Tiger Wii. EA went all out on their lead SKUs becasue it was some sort of anniversary for the series. As a result, the 360 version is a no-brainer buy (although Madden 09 Wii is still the best Wii Madden if that's your only option).

As for Tiger, the Wii version is simply the best version available. Tiger on Wii has been slowly improving over the years, and this was finally the year where EA nailed the controls. So unless anyone has some sort of "thing" against near-flawless motion-controlling golf, the Tiger 09 on Wii is the Tiger to buy.

As soon as the money hits the bank (from work) I'm buying this!

Madden Wii is non-comparable to Tiger Wii. EA went all out on their lead SKUs becasue it was some sort of anniversary for the series. As a result, the 360 version is a no-brainer buy (although Madden 09 Wii is still the best Wii Madden if that's your only option).

As for Tiger, the Wii version is simply the best version available. Tiger on Wii has been slowly improving over the years, and this was finally the year where EA nailed the controls. So unless anyone has some sort of "thing" against near-flawless motion-controlling golf, the Tiger 09 on Wii is the Tiger to buy.

Don't get me wrong , I am not discounting this based on my Madden experience , I still feel that '07 is better than '09 on that matter (could be an element of nostalgia though). Unfortunately Wii is my only option at the moment.

Back on topic -

I have read a few postings on EA's boards about the putting in this game being broken (and even worse than that in '07) and am just curious to see if anyone here is finding that.

I am wondering if this game in general has also been 'dumbed' down for the casuals , because the level-up progression in TW games (whichever version) has always been iffy , and results in the game becoming too easy , too quickly.

Played some online tonight. Flawless, absolutely flawless. :smile:

Minor Impressions:: peace:

Woods:

Brilliant online setup

Excellent party games! Mini golf/Targets etc...

Incredible motion controls with plenty of in-game (optional) 'tweaking' (if you need it.)

Plenty of variety with excellent, differing courses

Oodles of varying commentators/commentary

Widescreen (finally EA!)

Duds:

Some minor tearing issues on the characters

So far I've yet to see ANY crowds. Audible cheers are there but no people. It seems a tad strange and tarnishes the atmosphere slightly

Songs are just backing tracks (no lyrics)

I wish it was impossible to hit stronger than 100%. Still seems silly. (A gripe i've always had with Woodsy)

No 480p

Some of the texture work is awful. Panned out, it looks great though.

The putting is similar to Wii Sports with a large meter where 100% is the top of it. Your putting icon (on the green) will always say 100% at it's greatest distance and you have to gauge the strength from the distance the cup is from the 100%. It works and it's so bloody simple I can't believe it's not been in there before. You have a visual aid. And that's much needed when it comes to precise putting.

And no, I haven't levelled up as fast as in previous titles. Further in that could change. Time will tell.

I'm really tempted by this as I quite like a good golf game and even enjoyed the first tiger woods wii. I would buy this tomorrow but I just think with motionplus the game will be simply unstoppable; what are peoples thoughts to this? How good is the controlling in this version? Will my grandma be able to play it as well :)

Whilst I understand your point and agree with it to a certain extent , it also has it's drawbacks.

Using Madden as an example , EA felt the need to change the game completely just for the sake of it (that and to capture the expanded market crap) , when all it really needed was a few refinements.

In this case , it would have better if they had just decided to 'fine tune the controls' and add small enhancements , and I would have preferred that to what they decided to do this year.

Admittedly , I haven't played Madden on XBox360/PS3 this year (yet) , but due to the direction EA have taking with it on Wii this year then I feel that I may have to go that way in the near future. I do fear that this will be the way EA decide to go with all their sports titles and it's the one thing that really concerns me with the 'expanded' market as it is.

I thought this years madden was meant to be incredible? My mate who has the wii and 360 version says the wii version is the best.....!!! Is it not? He loves american footy too!!

Cheers Tapedeck , you may have convinced me to pick this up , I need to trade in TW'07 and My Sims anyway.

Dazzybee , Madden is good (my post sounded more negative than it should) and there are some very promising additions like call your shots which is fantastic , and other things. It is just that it is sugar coated with the arcade like appearance and speed and it detracts from the game and atmosphere to a degree. It also feels a lot easier than previously. There are also still minor issues that should have been addressed this year that weren't. Online is still useless too (despite some improvements).

Apologies for hijacking the thread (again) , I never bothered posting observations in the proper thread as no-one looked there :p

I'm really tempted by this as I quite like a good golf game and even enjoyed the first tiger woods wii. I would buy this tomorrow but I just think with motionplus the game will be simply unstoppable; what are peoples thoughts to this?

My thoughts on this is that if you are always waiting for a better version you will never any of them. I myself have been waiting for a worthy TW game, and '07 and '08 weren't worthy in my eyes. '09 seems to be the shit though. Yes, I know Motion Plus will come out eventually, but like someone said, they will then take a few more games to perfect the use of Motion Plus, so basically, if you're waiting, you'll only buy something like Tiger Woods '11 or '12.

I will eventually pick up 09, I'm sick of waiting. Of course every year's version will be slightly better than the previous one, but you have to buy one of them eventually, or this will go on perpetually.

Is the putting THAT bad? Quite a few reviews os it RUINS the game.

My thoughts on this is that if you are always waiting for a better version you will never any of them. I myself have been waiting for a worthy TW game, and '07 and '08 weren't worthy in my eyes. '09 seems to be the shit though. Yes, I know Motion Plus will come out eventually, but like someone said, they will then take a few more games to perfect the use of Motion Plus, so basically, if you're waiting, you'll only buy something like Tiger Woods '11 or '12.

I will eventually pick up 09, I'm sick of waiting. Of course every year's version will be slightly better than the previous one, but you have to buy one of them eventually, or this will go on perpetually.

Oh I agree completely, but I don't think motionplus will just be a bit better, I think it will be a giant leap. If the putting isn't awful I'll probably get this; EA games hold their value pretty well

The putting is simply brilliant. There are quite a few complaints by people online though. But most ppl DO get it eventually. (imo it's good how only putting is being maimed - it says a lot about the quality of the rest of this title.) But yeah, putting is actually excellent. Gauging the power is the hardest thing to do though.

But read this if you want to understand how putting etc actually works:

Frst up is a control option most don't actually use. Holding B (dont point the remote down as per striking the ball) and using the D-pads up and down buttons is to change clubs. (Left and right alters where you hit the ball which is handy too). The game sets you with the "preferred" club but this isn't always right. Actually it's usually not the best club if you want to do really well! ;)

Obviously if your teeing off with the wind behind you (straight onto a green on a shorter course) then you're gonna need a smaller club. As in previous TW zoom to view your target reticule and then hold B and press down on the D-pad to bring the reticule further behind the flag. (Using a smaller club). Pretty much everytime the 100% power of that club will fit right into where you want to go. Not only is it easier to hit at 100% but this is actually far better in gaming terms. Hitting 50% etc DOES work though. You just have to both swing AND follow through at a slower pace. (Most ppl dont follow through at a slow pace, they just grip and rip and follow through really fast). But yeah, hitting 100% makes it easier and the 100%'s are pretty much always going to put you in a great position.

The above contexts then apply to putting. If you use a 3m putter for a near shot your going to have to hit it at near enough 100% if it's 3m away. Yet if you're using a 9 metre putter, 100% power is gonna smash the ball off the green and like 5% is gonna sink it. Most complaints come from working out how the power meter works. It's like so...

Point the remote downwards and hold B to "start the swing". Pull back on the wiimote. Now, 90degrees is supposed to be 100% and that's pretty much where most people bring their arm back to. Yet what I've found is that if you only took it 45degrees back but did this REALLY slowly you can still make the 100% too. Most puts aren't going to need 100%. (Usually 75% or below if you're A) good or B) using a small putter near to the cup)

By doing the putt motion slowly the meter will build up slower towards the 100%. You can then snap your hand forward (to lock this power and take the shot at your desired power level). This is MUCH easier and actually slows the putting game down and thus gives it a "refined" experience.

Well, in my mind it makes sense. But hopefully that helps explain how it all works.

Trust me. This gets everything right. I may do a youtube walkthrough at some point if I get the time. : peace:

Yo Tapedeck! Don't own the game (yet), but you can clearly see Mario hitting 109% in Boomstick's vid. 3:10 in.

Could be just the effect of the wind though, I don't know, as I've never played a Tiger before :p

Not sure about Tiger Woods on Wii or 360 as the AI is one thing that bugs me! Tiger's has always had elastic AI which I hate. If you do really well the CPU stay close with you or if you play bad, the CPU doesnt do as great.

Might just get it for online play..

Not sure about Tiger Woods on Wii or 360 as the AI is one thing that bugs me! Tiger's has always had elastic AI which I hate. If you do really well the CPU stay close with you or if you play bad, the CPU doesnt do as great.

Might just get it for online play..

I had forgotten all about that too , another question mark.

And for those who have played online , let me guess , everyone wants to play as Tiger right ?

Yo Tapedeck! Don't own the game (yet), but you can clearly see Mario hitting 109% in Boomstick's vid. 3:10 in.

Could be just the effect of the wind though, I don't know, as I've never played a Tiger before :p

Well, yeah you can hit over 100% (I think 120% is the most?! and which I personally think is just stupid) but that's through really ripping the arse out of the wiimote. Wind is a factor too but not so much as your swing.

ElAstic AI does exist. And online you can see who ppl are playing as and actually decline if you dont want to play against them (like if they pick TW).

Most use their own character that I've played against.

I don't think it was the wind as I've done it constantly when there was very little wind and my characters stats aren't very high yet so its not that either. Its actually very easy to do, on the downswing just flick your wrist quickly and its instant power :D

Bought this today and I agree with you all it's brill!

The online is flawless too so what you all waiting for - buy it already!

Well I bought it anyway, the text is readable this time but it's still running in 576i like the two previous games so it isn't very smooth looking. Gameplay wise it seems alot of fun so far I have no problems with the controls especially the putting although it will be improved next year for sure. Finally we have a Wii Sports Golf killer..

I've made a Tiger Woods thread on the online board.

Feel free to add your EA Nation tag on there!