NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

The new England kit looks like something that would get worn at Wimbledon. Looks awful for a football top.

The Scotland top isn't much better though. Scotland's best top was the Euro 96 top. The last one we had was pretty good too.

Alan shearer is manager of newcastle united! at least he is off motd.

Seems implausible... we already have a manager, but many sites are reporting it as fact... Pff. I don't believe it, to be honest, though I think it would be a big boost.

Seems implausible... we already have a manager

Well, no. We have Chris Hughton, a coach, and we have Joe Kinnear, a stopgap who is laid up with a scar from his neck to his ankle.

I'm still going with april fools.....unless Shearer is stupid ::shrug:

Hes got absolutely no managerial experience and hes gonna cut his teeth with a Premier League relegation scrap??

Just can't see it happening

Wow I never even guessed that!

I was going to say its a bit of a stupid move, especially considering Ashley's adamant insistence the other day that Kinnear is the man and he will wait for him to recover.

This Shearer thing is beginning to look pretty legit.

I would wish the man good luck, but we're in direct competition with them so..... "Good luck so long as it doesn't come at our expense" :p

This Shearer thing is beginning to look pretty legit.

I would wish the man good luck, but we're in direct competition with them so..... "Good luck so long as it doesn't come at our expense" :p

I don't see how its looking legit, last night when it was being reported they claimed he would be unveiled this morning and it didn't happen, now no site has reported any further on the matter except for this link that Ian Dowie is going to cos they used to play together at Southampton, hell bring in Chris Sutton as well...

Even if he does come in, I don't he will have enough to keep them up, they have won just 6 all season and now to win say 4 (I think thats what they need to keep safe) from 8 is a tall order...

It was on the national news (ITV) earlier this evening. dont know if that means much ::shrug:(they might just be reporting what sky sports news have said)

Edited by DuD

Ian Dowie is Assistant Manager... Relegation 100%. He was abismal on Sky Sports.

We were turd tonight. Absolutely awful, nothing going forward. Why Barry stayed on the pitch I will never know.

We were turd tonight. Absolutely awful, nothing going forward. Why Barry stayed on the pitch I will never know.

Yeah by far his worst game in an England shirt...

I hope Barry doesn't play like that against Man Utd on Sunday. We're going to lose on Sunday, but I don't want a big scoreline again. :(

I hope Barry doesn't play like that against Man Utd on Sunday. We're going to lose on Sunday, but I don't want a big scoreline again. :(

I have a feeling Barry will jump ship to Liverpool if we keep getting bad results

Hooo, haven't been in this thread for a few days.

Hmm, I'm both surprised and not surprised by this Alan Shearer news. First of all, it's a Newcastle fan's wet dream to have one of their greatest players as their manager.

However, Shearer could not truly have chosen a worse time to take up this role. First of all, this is the third (or fourth, depending on how you look at it) manager that Newcastle will have had this season. They have failed to keep hold of a manager for quite some time now. The Newcastle job, at this moment in time, must be one of the most undesirable jobs in football at the moment.

Secondly, there's some unrest at Newcastle, especially where it concerns backroom staff. Now, if this had been the start of the season, Shearer might have had a better opportunity to establish his own set of rules right at the start, and could have built some bridges there. Look at how Keegan was treated, and it shows you exactly why you need solidarity both on and off the field. Personally, I think it's insanity that he's even thinking taking this job based on this alone.

Thirdly, Newcastle are in a terrible position in the league. As others have stated, they have won just 6 games all season (Flameboy). The problem when you hire a new manager is that it can sometimes give unrealistic expectations for the fans, the players and the club itself. What will happen if, say, Shearer does keep Newcastle up and they find themselves in the same position again next year? Will they then jump on his back and call for his head? What if Newcastle do get relegated? What then?

If he does come in (I don't know if it has been confirmed yet), then it's a desperate move, but it is a desperate situation. In my opinion, it's asking too much of a man with no managerial experience. Had this been five games into the season, then things would probably have turned out different.

Drawing a line under that, and focusing on tonight's action: It's tough being Welsh. It really is. The problem is that there are very few "stars" in the team. Having Ryan Giggs was different, as he was a quality player and one of the best players to ever play for Wales, and he bought this extra sense of class with him. His footballing brain was developed, and he bought all the experience he had with Manchester United, in the Champions League, the Premier League, he bought all that to Wales.

There are very few players like him for Wales, and that's why we won't be beating teams like Germany for some time. Our hope lies in the new crop of youngsters.

England: Well, I actually thought there were some good performances tonight for England. First off, the first half performance was pretty good, and I thought Gerrard and Rooney linked up very well, and Crouch seemed to "fit" in nicely. It was good to see Crouch get a goal, and I may not like him so much as a player, but you can't deny his stats and that he is a good goalscorer. Certainly not a bad option to have in your side.

The second half was very different to the first. England had/have the same problems that Manchester United have had, especially in recent games: service and work-rate. If you give players such as Berbatov and Rooney the ball, they will score. If you put a player like Berbatov into a squad, they have the potential to get goals, but you need to work as a team to supply them with chances. The reason why Rooney tracks back so much is his hunger for the ball. He doesn't get the ball, so he goes searching for it. Now, the problem that I have with England is that central midfield area. Where was Mr. Anonymous Frank Lampard tonight?

It is the same problem Manchester United have had, we haven't been able to get the service right, and as a result there is a huge gulf between midfield and attack. There's no cohesion. In the first half, England had that, but they seemed to lose it in the second. I think Capello needs to look at players like Barry and Lampard again and think what he needs to do to get service to the strikers. If you look back through the chances in this game, there were not a great deal, especially in the second half.

Also, did anyone think that Ashley Cole had a bit of a rubbish time tonight, as well?

Also, did anyone think that Ashley Cole had a bit of a rubbish time tonight, as well?

All bias aside, Ashley Cole hasn't put in a good shift for England since Portugal beat us in Germany '06.

Cole was aweful tonight, as he quite often is!

Barry was rubbish and Wright-Phillips a useless sub at that stage of the game.

Gerrard on the left, No!

Should have stuck him up running forward with Rooney again, they were immense in Saturdays game.

Thing is, the team weren't really immense at the weekend. Slovakia are just incredibly shit.

Looking at the table if Blackburn, Stoke, Portsmouth or Sunderland lose Newcastle are still in it. After all we are only 2 points away from safety with a good goal difference against the bottom 8 sides with Bolton +1 and Sunderland +4 and the rest have less.

In other news Argentina got smashed 6-1 by Bolivia. The worst defeat in 60 years!

All bias aside, Ashley Cole hasn't put in a good shift for England since Portugal beat us in Germany '06.

I really don't rate him at all. Maybe it's just me, which it probably is.

And, yeah, Slovakia are not the best team in the world. I even saw them written somewhere as Slokakia, which raised a chuckle from me. Yeah, they're not amazing, but it's true in the sense that you can only play what is in front of you. Under McClaren, is this the type of game that England would have drawn? Or maybe squeezed through with a sloppily worked goal? Perhaps.

The things which I look for in a football team are things such as cohesion between players, which runs through the team. Now, there are still gaps which I think need to be filled. In my opinion, I don't think Lampard is the answer or solution to the midfield. To me, he doesn't seem to create much, and it just didn't work all that well with him and Barry tonight. I think Capello has done well so far, because he's dealing with the so-called big personalities and names quite well. He's trying to prove that Gerrard and Lampard can be in the same team. However, the problem I feel is that should Lampard even be in this team? I just don't think he provides the service which England need up front. He's definitely an option, and he offers an alternative, but I'd be looking for someone to link up the play, which Lampard or Barry just did not do all that well tonight.

Scotland.... A fair performance tonight, we got our win which we dearly needed but it didn't come as easily as it should have. I'm really glad Ferguson was dropped to the bench as he hasn't put in a decent performance for Rangers all season and for Scotland in years. It let Fletcher have a bit more freedom in the centre of the park and he actually had a fair game which he never does when Barry 'Back-Pass' Ferguson is on the pitch. Scott Brown was great yet again, getting in amongst them the whole night.

Hats off to McCormack who was sensational down the left and Hutton who was fantastic from the right back position. Hutton had so many great runs down the right hand side, really puts Alexander's woeful performances in recent years to shame.

I still fail to see why Burley insists in playing Miller upfront, fair enough he's the leading goal scorer we have in the team at the moment but he's awful. He runs around like a headless chicken all the time and does nothing. He had a few great chances to shoot tonight where he didn't and just passed it across the face of the goal to no one. And then right at the end we were 3 on 2. Brown down the middle, passed to the open Miller who just chipped it back to Brown's chest who obviously couldn't do anything with that at all as there was a defender right on him after he hada chance to control it. Absolutely awful decision from Miller, anything but that would've done.