NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

Again Lampard proving he can't work with Gerard. Drop him now Capello.

Heskey and Rooney had a great game, really pleased to see that partnership working.

Overall good performance, a bit sloppy late in the first half.

Ah, it's nice to see the way the all the nay-says regarding Capello have been shut up for good. Four wins in as many matches (and such important ones, too!) is a mighty envious record.

Only Spain have the same record for these qualifiers, but they're the reigning European champions, and the Dutch, who have won all their games, have only played three matches.

Now, if only Setanta would stop being capatilist bastards and let the Beeb or ITV (ie something I can watch on t'internet) show it...

The Khazakstan team were in SportsWorld in St Albans buying boots the day before our game

I did not know that, how ammusing. :heh:

Viva S'nalbans!

322170250_ba195c7cc3_o.jpg

No matter what anyone thinks of the mans skill levels or abilities, there is no denying that he comes up with the goods when it matters. I'm a big fan of Dirk Kuyt and I love the amount of effort he puts in every match, particularly when you consider he is often not in his natural position.

He got his chance up front today in the absence of Fernando Torres and it was really nice to see him get a couple of league goals, especially the second late winner in consecutive matches :smile:

Makes you wonder, though. How long will Liverpool continue to struggle against small fry, or score another late winner. Sure, you're doing fine now, but sooner or later, your river of luck will run dry.

Another pretty decent performance by Manchester United, today. I'm also very pleased to see Rooney and Berbatov getting in on the goals. In the first half, although Rooney had a goal disallowed (for very little, stupid refereeing) and a good chance saved by the keeper, I thought we didn't create much.

In the second half, we looked a lot better. Rooney's goal was sublime. Great movement and play. Also did well to see up some of the other goals. By far and away the best man on the field.

I'm glad to see Berbatov scoring, too. It wasn't a spectacular goal, but they all count. Never in danger of losing the match, or even really conceding. So, onto the next, and I hope that Rooney's great form continues. My predictions about him were spot on. He's found his hunger.

I know.. Every week I keep thinking 'This is the week where the wheels finally come off'.. but we are still winning and it is just fantastic to have that belief now that even though we may be behind, we are never out of the game. I remember a time during the Gerard Houllier era (Or maybe it just WAS the Gerard Houllier era :heh:) where any match where the opposition went ahead, we didn't win.. ever..

I understand that we can't keep doing it though.. the defense is conceding too many goals (and often poor goals, like today's first from Zaki) and it would be nice to put some teams to the sword like Chelsea have been doing.. but I am happy with the start we have made this season and we are certainly picking up many more points this season in matches we would have drawn or lost last season. I know it is difficult, but as a Liverpool fan you just have to believe that we can keep going.. what encourages me is that Liverpool generally come good after a few months (when we are out of the title race, basically..) but if we can hang in there, there's every chance we can push for the title..

A lot of people will disagree, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Liverpool have the best record in the Premier League in 2008 :heh:

I know.. Every week I keep thinking 'This is the week where the wheels finally come off'.. but we are still winning and it is just fantastic to have that belief now that even though we may be behind, we are never out of the game. I remember a time during the Gerard Houllier era (Or maybe it just WAS the Gerard Houllier era :heh:) where any match where the opposition went ahead, we didn't win.. ever..

I understand that we can't keep doing it though.. the defense is conceding too many goals (and often poor goals, like today's first from Zaki) and it would be nice to put some teams to the sword like Chelsea have been doing.. but I am happy with the start we have made this season and we are certainly picking up many more points this season in matches we would have drawn or lost last season. I know it is difficult, but as a Liverpool fan you just have to believe that we can keep going.. what encourages me is that Liverpool generally come good after a few months (when we are out of the title race, basically..) but if we can hang in there, there's every chance we can push for the title..

A lot of people will disagree, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Liverpool have the best record in the Premier League in 2008 :heh:

It is true that you are performing a lot better nowadays. You seem a lot more solid because of your good manager, and the team have found a knack for scoring goals now.

But, as you say, the defence are conceding a bit too many. What has me thinking is that the majority of your fixtures have been matches you should probably be winning anyway. Give or take a couple of games, such as your home victory against United, the Merseyside derby (away, which was a good result), and possibly the away win against man city (maybe, I'm not entirely sure what I think of city right now). You've got Chelsea and Arsenal to play at home and away, as well as United away. Plus, there are still the blips, such as Stoke, for example.

I dunno, on paper, Liverpool look like a good bet. But, to me, they don't seem there yet. Imo, you have luck on your side from week to week, but there's still so many games to go. Can the team survive on that, I just don't think so. There's still a lot of issues needing addressing.

Which record is that? Just looking at the table for this season, and you've scored 1 more goal than United, and conceded 2 more. Its still early days. I'm just glad we've got a couple of our difficult games out of the way. We won't need to go to the likes of Anfield, Stamford Bridge or Fratton Park again this season.

As far as I am aware, if you look at the points everyone picked up from January to the end of last season and the points obtained this season, Liverpool would be top..

Don't take that as fact, but I am sure I read it somewhere a few weeks ago.. and since we're still up at the top this season, it must still be true :heh:

As far as I am aware, if you look at the points everyone picked up from January to the end of last season and the points obtained this season, Liverpool would be top..

Don't take that as fact, but I am sure I read it somewhere a few weeks ago.. and since we're still up at the top this season, it must still be true :heh:

That's all well and good, but the season doesn't start in January. There's still (some of)August, September, October, November and December of the other season to take into account. Also, once a season ends, that's it. You can't go back and mix and match points. So, it might be a nice record to have, but it doesn't really count for much.

Its still very early days. Man United had a slip up at the start against Newcastle, but provided we win our next game (as we have a game in hand), we'll only be 3 points behind Liverpool. Which, at this stage of the season, is not very much at all, given that there's plenty of opportunities for teams to slip up, or for teams to dip in performance.

Great to Liverpool grind out another result yesterday. After the Stoke game I thought here we go again, but they've dug in and did what all great teams a have to be able to do. It's something that they haven't been capable of in the last few years.

That's all well and good, but the season doesn't start in January. There's still (some of)August, September, October, November and December of the other season to take into account. Also, once a season ends, that's it. You can't go back and mix and match points. So, it might be a nice record to have, but it doesn't really count for much.

Its still very early days. Man United had a slip up at the start against Newcastle, but provided we win our next game (as we have a game in hand), we'll only be 3 points behind Liverpool. Which, at this stage of the season, is not very much at all, given that there's plenty of opportunities for teams to slip up, or for teams to dip in performance.

I know when the season starts and finishes :heh: Of course it doesn't count for anything that we may be the best team in 2008 (if that is indeed true) but it shows that we do have the ability to be up there :smile:

I don't have my head in the clouds.. I know it would take a lot for Liverpool to keep going and push for the league title but I am certainly not going to dismiss the possibility. Having said that, the game next weekend against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge should give some indication of where we are. Liverpool usually don't pick up too many points against the big teams and with Chelsea pushing everyone aside at the minute, it's gonna be a very difficult game.

Fierce_LiNk, you seem to forget all those lucky late wins Man U rolled out during their glory days in the 90's and early 00's. Just cause your bitter rivals, the Pool, have found a knack for it at the minute, its all sour grapes on your part! :heh:

Just watched the Stoke vs Spurs match.

And all I can say is damn.

losing 2-1 to stoke, getting 2 players sent off and 1 sent to hospital. Couldn't have gone more wrong.

Spurs losing 2-1 to Stoke, keeping Spurs on 2 points at the bottom of the table, West Ham losing to Hull, placing them 3rd in the league once more, and Chelsea topping the league.

Best season ever?

As a Spurs fan, I feel utterly emotionally drained at the moment. Don't know that to think...watch the game on MOTD everyone - it's comical.

Fierce_LiNk, you seem to forget all those lucky late wins Man U rolled out during their glory days in the 90's and early 00's. Just cause your bitter rivals, the Pool, have found a knack for it at the minute, its all sour grapes on your part! :heh:

Pfff, skill, mate. :heh:

Can't wait to watch Match of the Day tonight.

there has only been one team (cant remember who) since 1992 to have less than 4 points at this stage of the season and not be relegated......

there has only been one team (cant remember who) since 1992 to have less than 4 points at this stage of the season and not be relegated......

Southampton my boy.. but then they had:

matt_le20tissier_bi.jpg

You know whats really funny, wheres Mr We're Going To Break Into the Top 4 dazzybee posts been lately?.. ROFL.

They won the Carling Cup, thats kinda like the champions league..right...? Guys..?

This time last year even Derby County had 5 points.

I always thought Villa had a better chance of breaking the top 4 anyway.

I do feel pretty sorry for Spurs. They've self-destructed.

I think they've got to get the basics right. Work on their defending, because they're not as good as they should be, in that department. Stop losing games first of all. That's where it needs to start.

I do feel pretty sorry for Spurs. They've self-destructed.

I think they've got to get the basics right. Work on their defending, because they're not as good as they should be, in that department. Stop losing games first of all. That's where it needs to start.

I don't usually say this, but, some guy on sky sports news got it right. There, I said it.

Basically the bloke said not enough of the spurs players are willing to put their bodies on the line to win matches. They're in the shit, now they need to work hard, dig deep and put themselves on line. And they aren't doing it, over paid pre-madonnas.

In other news, pretty disgusted with the media this week. Firstly MoTD for not showing Hibberts disgusting challenge during the game on Saturday. And then the newspaper today (though it was The Sun, says it all) for giving Adebayor a 7, when he deserved a 4, and Clichy my man of the match a 6 when he clearly was the best player on the field.

Yes Noodleman Zenit DREW with BATE. lolololololol and they were winning most of the game! lolololololol

Typical United, had the official in their pockets. We were crap, Utd should have hammered us, they didn't need two clearly offside goals.