N-Europe

Pikmin 3 - What can be improved?

Falcon_BlizZACK

I'm losing a bit of hope in Nintendo but Pikmin 3 may be its saving grace, would like to hear your opinions on improves or additions to the game.

So after Pikmin 1 we had; unlimited time, underground caves, new pikmin and more enemies in Pikmin 2, what else can be added specifically for the Wii?

I would like to see:

- Spontaneous weather effects, creating new hazards.

- Weather attuned to the Forecast channel?

- Online challenges.

- Diverse overworld areas; some desert areas would be nice.

- Not so waggle-centric.

- Wii remote IR for Pikmin control. ie for throwing at pin-point spots.

- Bulbmins back.

- News channel reports on previous Pikmin incidents with action replay LOL. XD

As I write this I'm thinking there is some serious potential for this game to be very online-specific.

I had my first Pikmin experience today, it's really good. I may have to track down Pikmin 2, but I hear it's pricey.

Tell me about it. But its a sign of a true gem. If you like Pikmin 1, Pikmin 2 is the ultimate sequel. So many good memories...Visuals and music are gorgeous too.

Its just unique, a manager sim...yet its an adventure with strategy.

completed pikmin 1 and 2 but never 100% for pikmin 2. were there ne special rewards for doing so. didn't grab me like the first one. probably because sequel was the same concept where at the time when the first pikmin launched it was a new and fresh ip from nintendo. got to say though i hope it does get released on wii as there are endless possibilities using the remote, weather channel, wifi and connect24 as you mentioned.

Definately a greater emphasis on surface levels than underground levels.

Yeah weather would be great, and even more so if related to the weather channel.

Wonder if they'd do raindrops really big? Would be awesome to see dry dips in the ground become raging rivers for the Pikmin, having to find alternate routes, or ways to cross them!

Pikmin was ace, never played the sequel though. The only reason i still own a Wii is to play this, F-Zero (which they had better not casualify!) and Metroid Prime 3 (which i haven't got around to buying yet).

Im hoping for independent control of Olimar and the Pikmin. Pikmin mapped to the Wiimote and guided by the pointer, Olimar on the Nunchuck controlled by the analogue stick.

I'd love to see more games mirroring your current real-world weather, and Pikmin would be an ideal universe to utilise this feature. I would imagine its rather easy to implement pulling the Forecast Channel data into game, but perhaps more difficult design the changes in the game world.

I'd also like to see an online multiplayer option, if BWii can handle online, than theres no reason why Pikmin can't.

I enjoyed Pikmin 2 much more than Pikmin, but I still think it needs simplifying for the third game. I'd go back to using just Olimar for single-player and probably reduce the different types of Pikmin back to three, losing the White and giving the Red Pikmin the strength of the Purple. Having to worry about which types could go through water, fire, electricity or poison was just a bit too much in the deeper caverns.

Frankly, the series also needs a lot more horsepower and, ideally, HD. Zoom out and you can't see it as well as you might. Remember, it wasn't even possible at all until the GameCube.

Other than that I'd have shorter, easier, more enjoyable caverns, even the later ones, and no boss should be as difficult as the last one in Pikmin 2. Again, this largely goes back to having five types of Pikmin and too many types of hazard.

I'd still like the idea of a very simple online game. Say there is twenty people, 2 people are bugs and the rest are pikmin. The map is a large open land with tunnels all over. The bugs have to eat the pikmin and the pikmin have to bring down the bugs. The bugs can quite easily eat the pikmin but it takes a long time for a single pikmin to attack a bug, so it is best to attack in groups. The bugs can't go in the tunnels so the pikmin use them to hide. Analog stick to move, A for the bugs to bite and pikmin to jump, shake to get the pikmin off their back and to attack as a pikmin. All about the teamwork see.

While I like some of those ideas definately, I'm still thinking that not everyone has their Wii connected to the internet, and therfore the weather forcasts in real life mixing with the game wouldn't be available to anyone. Plus if you were playing during a hot summer you might not get to be able to play in the rain for several days lol, changing weather definately. But I'm not sure about the mirroring the real life part. Maybe just having every in game day being a different/random weather could spice up the gameplay quite a lot so it's rarely the same conditions two days in a row.

And I think that pointing throwing and moving of the Pikmin should be done by the remote while Olimar/Louies actions should be done with the buttons/nunchuck. Lengthwise Pikmin 2 had a good length if you wanted to get all the treasure. And I think the return of caves could be a good thing as well, although I'd personally not want to see the return of only being able to get certain colours of Pikmin underground in flowers.

But Pikmin 3 is the game I'm hoping will be announced at E3, I really enjoyed the other 2 and Pikmin 2 is VERY good, I'd seriously recommend picking it up anyone that can.

Or maybe have a downloadable Pikmin 3 -specific weather channel, which forecasts the weather for upcoming Pikmin days, sort of giving a warning to immanent hazards.

I think that would take away the surprise though. I'd like the idea of landing in an area on a new day and not knowing what the weather could be like.

I only played pikmin 1 and I gotta say it wasn't the most enjoyable game I've ever played. It felt like an excellent idea but with kinda flawed execution at times.(pikmin getting stuck in walls)

However I really do see this series becoming a great wii franchise. it's perfect for the controls. I hope it's bigger and has no time limit.

i think they should have a new unit - the suicide bomber pikmam.

Yeah, I like a game where it encourages small children the potential benefits of suicide bombing ;)

New type ideas...

Brown: Ones that can climb walls.

You could have some hazards that would have some sound/sonic boom effects which one colour can resist. There are quite a few more ideas they could put.

While I like some of those ideas definately, I'm still thinking that not everyone has their Wii connected to the internet, and therfore the weather forcasts in real life mixing with the game wouldn't be available to anyone. Plus if you were playing during a hot summer you might not get to be able to play in the rain for several days lol, changing weather definately. But I'm not sure about the mirroring the real life part. Maybe just having every in game day being a different/random weather could spice up the gameplay quite a lot so it's rarely the same conditions two days in a row.

And I think that pointing throwing and moving of the Pikmin should be done by the remote while Olimar/Louies actions should be done with the buttons/nunchuck. Lengthwise Pikmin 2 had a good length if you wanted to get all the treasure. And I think the return of caves could be a good thing as well, although I'd personally not want to see the return of only being able to get certain colours of Pikmin underground in flowers.

But Pikmin 3 is the game I'm hoping will be announced at E3, I really enjoyed the other 2 and Pikmin 2 is VERY good, I'd seriously recommend picking it up anyone that can.

I'm not sure that throwing Pikmin with the remote would work that well. I mean if you throw you're no longer pointing at the screen so how would that work? Also there were times in the other games when you had to hammer the button to throw as fast as you can which again might not work that well with the remote.

Also the pointer might be weird as you wouldn't be able to throw a Pikmin over the whole screen so how would that work?

I'll be interested to see how they do it.

I'm not sure that throwing Pikmin with the remote would work that well. I mean if you throw you're no longer pointing at the screen so how would that work? Also there were times in the other games when you had to hammer the button to throw as fast as you can which again might not work that well with the remote.

Also the pointer might be weird as you wouldn't be able to throw a Pikmin over the whole screen so how would that work?

I'll be interested to see how they do it.

Ah no sorry when I said throw with the remote I meant pointing where you want to throw, not also the movement sorry I should have been clearer :)

If the camera's not zoomed out too far I think pointing where you want to throw could work quite well, or the cursor could always appear red on the screen if it's outside your throwing range.