NEurope
Sanchez

WWDC '08

I felt this was a fairly important event and crucial to the future of the iPhone so that it deserved its own thread.

It's starting very soon, probably in the next hour, you can get text updates here:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/steve-jobs-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2008/

Or there might be a audio stream from here:

http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/47fdfaaff6fbee07?p=47fdfaaff6fbee07&flv=videoId%3D205852

Things to expect:

3G iPhone, thicker but also with GPS, maybe some minor hardware upgrades.

Rumours:

Tablet PC

Of course this is the developers conference so we're going to be seeing a lot of software news, probably with a focus on the iPhone.

So there's a new iPhone. No pricing yet but it has 3G and GPS. Thinner than before.

300 hours standby time, 24 hours music playback. More to come...

$199 for the 8GB iPhone!

$299 for the 16GB iPhone and a white version will be available

Comes out July 11th around the world. $199 is the maximum price.

wwdc-keynote_195.jpg

Looks like I may have to seriously consider an iPhone then!

I wonder if they've convinced Rogers to offer an unlimited data plan (for Canada).

Well new iPhone looks nice, although I don't quite understand having a plastic back to it. 3G speeds will obviously be nice, although I don't use Edge enough to warrant upgrading my current iPhone. GPS is also a nice feature but I have a Sat Nav so again not something I would particularly use.

Very impressed with the price though. I think it's definitely a more attractive package now to the mainstream.

Can't see myself using the MobileMe stuff. It would be nice but I still don't like the idea of paying £60-70 a year for that kind of stuff. I'm not renewing .Mac as I can quite easily live without it.

Some of the new apps look useful, Monkey Ball looked good! Like the look of an Ebay application, that'll be useful as well.

Disappointed to see no added Bluetooth functionality, no MMS, and no video recording. Maybe that'll be added by a 3rd party application. Still, nothing major in my opinion, but would have certainly made the 'cons' column of the iPhone even shorter.

Also, no 32GB iPhone? Overall, a good showing really although nothing too surprising, I more than likely will wait until the end of my current contract to upgrade.

I was also surprised by no 32GB iphone, maybe in a couple of months when prices and sizes shrink a bit more. Impressed overall.

I was also surprised by no 32GB iphone, maybe in a couple of months when prices and sizes shrink a bit more. Impressed overall.

Yeah, and with the iPod Touch being available in 32GB it is a bit strange. Perhaps they did it to make it the low price they have done.

This new iPhone offer MMS? I was quite suprised to hear the current doesn't.

Anywho. Looks shiny. I kinda want one, but I don't really need one for at least another year and hopefully by then they'll be better and cheaper...hopefully.

This new iPhone offer MMS? I was quite suprised to hear the current doesn't.

Anywho. Looks shiny. I kinda want one, but I don't really need one for at least another year and hopefully by then they'll be better and cheaper...hopefully.

Not to my knowledge. It's a shame because it's not exactly a hard feature to implement. From the original iPhone the cons for me would be lack of 3G, cost, lack of 3rd party apps, lack of proper Bluetooth, lack of MMS, and no video recording capabilities. Now the biggest issues have been resolved and yet the simpler ones haven't. I don't quite understand it. I mean they don't really matter to me but I know people that use these features all the time.

Am I right in thinking this doesn't actually have GPS, its assisted GPS using 3G?

If so I can't believe they're touting this as a propper GPS device.

Its proper GPS that is assisted by 3G - in theory making it better. If it can't get a hold of GPS satelites then it can do a quick check of location using 3G, wifi or normal towers to give a quick yet less accurate location while it waits for GPS to be back in range. Also I think it can use 3G to find out which satelites are where in order to get connected quicker or not bother trying if it knows nothing is in range. All in all pretty good really.

For £100 I'll be upgrading my current iPhone without a doubt.

iphonere1.jpg

That seems very reasonable prices for it. I'm very tempted to get one in August when I get back from holiday (Three let me use my contract minutes in Italy at no extra cost :)).

Jordan, I'm not sure, but TomTom have a working version on it which is coming out soon.

The 199$ iPhone looks very tempting. Its a shame they couldn't put in video recording and bluetooth, but its a very reasonable price.

Wait. It has no bluetooth?

So they implement bluetooh in their computers but not their phones...Hmm :/

My current one has bluetooth. They sell a bluetooth headset especially for it, I doubt they've taken it out of the phone.

It has Bluetooth you just can't send files to people which is ridiculous to be honest.

It has Bluetooth you just can't send files to people which is ridiculous to be honest.

Well, otherwise you'de be sending music between phones! This is also why MMS is not a feature.

Yeah, it's to do with the way Apple want the iPhone to sync with iTunes.

Well thats just Ludachris! Bluetooth is good for pictures and stuff. Bah!

I have to say I'm surprised you can't do this, its something I'd never bothered to check out. With the new apps coming surely someone will be able to implement this?

I'm surprised nobody has said anything about the apps the allow you to track your friends being tools for pedophiles. I'm sure parent groups will be getting all paranoid about this like the did with the Wii zapper, ignorant to the fact that the iPhone will have parental controls.

Anyway, in regard to the bluetooth problem, As long as they can keep it so you can't send copy written content to another device besides in syncing it with your computer, why not implement it so you can send pictures and movies you have taken. Wait, can't you just send that stuff with mobile me. Perhaps they're doing this to promote their service.

It was also nice to hear that Pangea Software is still around, I thought they were no more. I have a bunch of their old games for, but I can't play them in leopard.